Joey2 Guest

Hi,
    OK, this is somewhat hard for me, so any help would be great!

Here's what I need:

I want a drop down box, with two choice (ex: 1 & 2).
    Then I have a form.
    Now..
    if the person chooses #1, so it should send the data to: www.myhost.com/cgi-bin/form1.pl

Else..
    is he chooses #2, it should send the data to www.myhost.com/cgi-bin/form2.pl

Any ideas?

P.S. It doesn't have to be a drop down box. Anyhthing that works is great!

Thanks!

~I put this thread here b/c I don't know where else to put it~

This site can probably help you. They have lots of Java scripts of all types. http://javascript.internet.com/

tk Guest

(Not sure how this relates to web hosting, but...)

Another good source for Javascript code is:
    http://javascriptsource.com

Very nice site with lots of stuff.

tk Guest

Smile

...and I was glad I could actually share some javascript knowledge I had (my javascript knowledge = go to javascriptsource.com !)

Talking

Thanks Duster & TK, you are right its not "hosting" but isn't it nice to simply be able to help someone sometimes. *s*

It is just my opinion that javascipt should not be used for: forms (effects within forms are fine), or navigation (including redirection based on making a choice such as the one you mentioned).

Javascipt is great, but not every browser works properly with all scripts. You can generally do these types of redirects/navigation with cgi (which will work with everything).

You have made a valid point, Chicken !

CGI is definitely the better way to go !!!

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there who don't want to bother upgrading to a newer version of their browser !!!

Unhappy

Thought that I should also add that Javascript may not be executed in exactly the same way by Netscape and Internet Explorer sometimes... it's quite rare though after IE 5.0

Also, VBScript isn't supported by Netscape at all. It is just ignored!!

Until there is total cross-browser compatibility with such scripting languages, such factors can be quite a nuisance once in a blue moon :O(

And total cross-browser won't happen so easily unless both Netscape and Microsoft open up their respective source codes for both these scripting languages.

And while it is a nuisance for some scripts (clock, random quotes, etc.), it becomes a major issue when it comes to navigation, etc.

I use a DHTML script for navigation on site I am working on, but what you can't see, is that behind it (hidden by the script's menus), are text links if the script doesn't load and display properly.

Just be sure if you use js this way that you have *some* way of handling non-js viewers.