Thread: Google Apps

Google Apps

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en-sg/group/index.html

I'm contemplating on signing up for Google Apps for Business. However, the "User accounts allowed per organisation" is confusing me.

Which does a user account represent?

1. 1 User Account = 1 Username & Address
      1. Username: ABC
      2. Email Address: abc@domain.com
    2. 1 User Account = 1 User & Unlimited Addresses
      1. Username: DEF
      2. Email Address 1: def@domain.com
      3. Email Address 2: def2@domain.com
      4. Email Address 3: def3@domain.com

So my question here is actually how many email addresses can I create for 1 single user? Personally I have quite a number of addresses (admin@domain.com, jay@domain.com etc.) so I wouldn't want to pay $50/year each for a few addresses when in reality it's only me using it..

One account can have multiple aliases attached to it. I don't remember the maximum permitted, but in your case you could have admin@, jay@, etc. all under a single paid account. The way I think of it is that Google charges whenever you want a separate password, filters, Youtube account, etc. for an account.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

How many emails did you need to setup? You can have 10 free aliases/user per domain and then anything after that is charged.

The most I've seen people setup is 7-8....although when the service was first offered they were giving 50 aliases for free.

So you can have 1@, 2@, 3@...10@ for one domain.
    ██ WPCYCLE MANAGED WORDPRESS WEB HOSTING ██
    Managed WordPress VPS & Managed WordPress Dedicated VPS Servers
    Optimized • NVMe • SSD • KVM • NGINX • WordPress Brute Force Protection • Daily Offsite Backups
    Email: sales@wpcycle.comFacebook: wpcycle • Twitter: wpcycle

Quote Originally Posted by MerryMikeMas View Post
    One account can have multiple aliases attached to it. I don't remember the maximum permitted, but in your case you could have admin@, jay@, etc. all under a single paid account. The way I think of it is that Google charges whenever you want a separate password, filters, Youtube account, etc. for an account.
    I sure hope that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post
    How many emails did you need to setup? You can have 10 free aliases/user per domain and then anything after that is charged.

The most I've seen people setup is 7-8....although when the service was first offered they were giving 50 aliases for free.

So you can have 1@, 2@, 3@...10@ for one domain.
    I can't remember exactly but I'm estimating it to be slightly over 10. Do you mean that for every single email address created it is considered as 1 user account?

The primary mailbox for an account is considered a user account. If you add a bunch more aliases (thanks 48-14 for clarifying the number), those don't cost more.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by JFSG View Post
    I sure hope that's the case.

I can't remember exactly but I'm estimating it to be slightly over 10. Do you mean that for every single email address created it is considered as 1 user account?
    Let me help clear up the confusion;

Domain = a.com
    Accounts = aliases = 1@a.com, 2@a.com up to 10@a.com...more than is $

Domain = b.com
    Accounts = aliases = 1@b.com, 2@b.com up to 10@b.com...more than is $

So you can have 10 accounts/aliases per domains.
    Optimized • NVMe • SSD • KVM • NGINX • WordPress Brute Force Protection • Daily Offsite Backups

Quote Originally Posted by MerryMikeMas View Post
    (thanks 48-14 for clarifying the number)

Your welcome. I started using it a while ago and then started offering it to my clients/customers. All of them have been super happy using it for many reasons...and especially some clients that couldn't handle small email boxes 7Gb is a great option.

Let me help clear up the confusion;

Domain = a.com
    Accounts = aliases = 1@a.com, 2@a.com up to 10@a.com...more than is $

Domain = b.com
    Accounts = aliases = 1@b.com, 2@b.com up to 10@b.com...more than is $

So you can have 10 accounts/aliases per domains.
    Thanks for the clarification. So if I need 12 it will cost me $100/year?

I haven't had to use the paid version since most people only need 1 or 2 emails...or 8-9 the most.

For 12 you would upgrade to $5 a month or $50 a year for that domain. Then you would have unlimited emails with 25 Gb of space.

I haven't had to use the paid version since most people only need 1 or 2 emails...or 8-9 the most.

For 12 you would upgrade to $5 a month or $50 a year for that domain. Then you would have unlimited emails with 25 Gb of space.
    Thanks! I'll go ahead and try things out first.

Just played around with it and understood how it works.

You can create 10 users for free. Each user can have as many "nicknames" as they wish under 1 user account.

User: a@domain.com (primary email address)
    Nicknames: b@domain.com, c@domain.com etc.

Configuring the "nicknames" to send and receive emails can be quite troublesome, at least in my experience. I wonder if I sign up for the paid ($50/yr) business account, are the benefits given to every user under the organisation or just 1..

It depends, do you need 12 ACCOUNTS, or 12 email addresses?

How many people do you need a separate email address for?
    This account is no longer active!

Just played around with it and understood how it works.

You can create 10 users for free. Each user can have as many "nicknames" as they wish under 1 user account.

User: a@domain.com (primary email address)
    Nicknames: b@domain.com, c@domain.com etc.

Configuring the "nicknames" to send and receive emails can be quite troublesome, at least in my experience. I wonder if I sign up for the paid ($50/yr) business account, are the benefits given to every user under the organisation or just 1..
    Configuring aliases to send email is as simple as navigating to settings -> accounts and then clicking the "Add another email address you own" link. Fill that in with the alias, wait until you get the email and click the verification link, and that is it.
    This account is no longer active!

Quote Originally Posted by catharsis3k View Post
    Also don't forget that with the "Free" Google Apps, you are giving up all your business data to Google.

I don't know about you but I believe not many serious businesses would agree to these conditions
    Nothing on the internet is safe. The safest way to protect anything on the net is to never put it on the net. Almost every major company from ISP's to servers have some sort of clause like google. Here's godaddy's

With Respect to User Submissions. You acknowledge and agree that:

Your User Submissions are entirely voluntary.
    Your User Submissions do not establish a confidential relationship or obligate Go Daddy to treat your User Submissions as confidential or secret.
    Go Daddy has no obligation, either express or implied, to develop or use your User Submissions, and no compensation is due to you or to anyone else for any intentional or unintentional use of your User Submissions.
    Go Daddy may be working on the same or similar content, it may already know of such content from other sources, it may simply wish to develop this (or similar) content on its own, or it may have taken / will take some other action.

Go Daddy shall own exclusive rights (including all intellectual property and other proprietary rights) to any User Submissions posted to this Site, and shall be entitled to the unrestricted use and dissemination of any User Submissions posted to this Site for any purpose, commercial or otherwise, without acknowledgment or compensation to you or to anyone else.

With Respect to User Content (Other Than User Submissions).

If you have a website hosted by Go Daddy or another service provider, you shall retain all of your ownership or licensed rights in User Content posted to your website.

However, if you post or publish your User Content to this Site, you authorize Go Daddy to use the intellectual property and other proprietary rights in and to your User Content to enable inclusion and use of the User Content in the manner contemplated by this Site and these Terms of Use. Accordingly, you hereby grant Go Daddy a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicensable (through multiple tiers), and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, combine with other works, display, and perform your User Content in connection with this Site and Go Daddy’s (and Go Daddy’s affiliates’) business(es), including without limitation for promoting and redistributing all or part of this Site in any media formats and through any media channels without restrictions of any kind and without payment or other consideration of any kind, or permission or notification, to you or any third party. You also hereby grant each User of this Site a non-exclusive license to access your User Content (with the exception of User Content that you designate “private” or “password protected”) through this Site, and to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, combine with other works, display, and perform your User Content as permitted through the functionality of this Site and under these Terms of Use. The above licenses granted by you in your User Content terminate within a commercially reasonable time after you remove or delete your User Content from this Site