Dedicated Server Setup

Hey guys I am looking to start a hosting business. My server budget is around 4k, so can you guys help me find a good setup. Im looking to get a server with 8 cores if possible, 24 gigs of ram, good graphics card for games that need it, and I assume I would want to use ssd vs hard drive for gameserver hosting. So ya I guess realistically I would only be able to get 1 server with this budget if I want it to be higher end. Anyways thanks for any help you guys can give.

> good graphics card

Why is your server going to be rendering the graphics for the games you might host? I have only heard of one other service that does this kind of thing, and it is OnLive.
    Most game servers typically only handle the peer to peer connections and overhead and don't actually do any rendering.

Oh I was under the impression that some games run better on a server with a decent graphics card. I guess I won't be needing a good graphics card then, thanks for letting me know.

Well, I think it depends on how exactly the server will be hosting the game. I'm no expert, but I've hosted some Steam games on a basic VPS before to great effect. There are many other ways to host games, however. Depends on what you're after....

Quote Originally Posted by asphixiations View Post
    Oh I was under the impression that some games run better on a server with a decent graphics card. I guess I won't be needing a good graphics card then, thanks for letting me know.
    No...........................

For PLAYING the games, it runs better. Although we are talking hosting, where a graphics card is not involved in any way.

You should really know this stuff, before attempting to start your own business.

Quote Originally Posted by NateN34 View Post
    No...........................

For PLAYING the games, it runs better. Although we are talking hosting, where a graphics card is not involved in any way.

You should really know this stuff, before attempting to start your own business.
    Ok so no graphics card then. Would appreciate a good server config instead of you telling me what I should know thanks.

Take a look to Supermicro server based on socket 1366
    VPS in USA, Netherlands and Ukraine | Dedicated servers in USA, Netherlands and Ukraine
    Premium quality since 2008
    A lot of Extra IPv4.
    Bitcoin | PayPal | Perfect Money

Got a dedi from webtropia (the professional one) its an i5 2.67ghz with 6gb ram.. it runs around 7-8 gameservers (css, l4d2, kf, etc) teamspeak, website and loads more.. the average load is always <1 (mostly being 0.80 or so)

SSD will cost an extra 20€/m and the base for the dedi is 49.99

Quote Originally Posted by deltahost View Post
    Take a look to Supermicro server based on socket 1366
    Ya thanks, was looking at the reviews for the Supermicro motherboard on newegg and it had mostly good reviews

I like these 2 servers since it looks like they offer server expansion.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16859102349

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16859105869

$4k will be you a lot of server with Supermicro. I assume you are looking to buy the server then collocate it? Any reason you at going tha route rather than just leaving per month.?

Quote Originally Posted by HivelocityGM View Post
    $4k will be you a lot of server with Supermicro. I assume you are looking to buy the server then collocate it? Any reason you at going tha route rather than just leaving per month.?
    Sorry for my typos... I always screw up when typing on my iPad. That should have said "any reason you are going that route rather than leasing per month?".

What games will you be hosting?
    RamNode - High Performance Cloud VPS
    SSD Cloud and Shared Hosting
    NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - DDoS Protection - AS3842
    Deploy on our SSD cloud today! - www.ramnode.com

I'd honestly suggest that you do a lot more research before purchasing hardware and trying to colocate it. There's a lot you need to know on the software side of things, as well as the hardware before you end up throwing away money because you didn't fully understand what you were doing.

If you want to learn the software, I'd suggest starting off with a relatively inexpensive unmanaged KVM VPS and learning how to host the software you want and configure it appropriately.

You guys are right, it does seem rather expensive to colocate since you need to purchase the server, and to make it cost effective you need a client base. So I might just lease per month to start out. And for games ill plan on hosting minecraft, valve games,mw3 and others depending on the server specs.

Also I was planning on getting the server managed so any server problems would be taken care of.

I've had some Minecraft hosting experience and have hosted a number of servers myself. You really need something that has a lot of RAM to keep up with Minecraft.
    A good choice here is WebNX. Here is their deals thread:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1123105

You can get some crazy good servers for fairly cheap there. However, they come unmanaged, which may not be to your liking. On the other hand, if you get a management panel for Minecraft like Multicraft (http://www.multicraft.org/site/page?view=home) then you might be able to learn enough SSH to set up the management panel and use that. As for the other stuff, I've hosted Steam games without too much trouble as well. There are some tutorials you can find online for how to host a server for certain Steam games. It might not be too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by asphixiations View Post
    You guys are right, it does seem rather expensive to colocate since you need to purchase the server, and to make it cost effective you need a client base. So I might just lease per month to start out. And for games ill plan on hosting minecraft, valve games,mw3 and others depending on the server specs.

Also I was planning on getting the server managed so any server problems would be taken care of.
    You should go for unmanaged (if you can) and cut some costs. Especially with Minecraft, you will find the industry standard pricing has dropped over the past couple months. We don't make as much as we once did per server. You should check out Incero if you need a server right away, or grab one from IOFlood when they have more stock next week. Also, if you're going to run Minecraft, get a faster CPU. The E3-1230s are solid for MC.
    RamNode - High Performance Cloud VPS
    SSD Cloud and Shared Hosting
    NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - DDoS Protection - AS3842
    Deploy on our SSD cloud today! - www.ramnode.com

> grab one from IOFlood

I would advise against IOFlood. Not because of their quality or service, but because they do not offer any other type of RAID than software. If I were going to be hosting customers on servers, I would never do so without at least hardware RAID 1. To me, it's way too big of a risk otherwise, and still a big hassle to fix even if you take backups more frequently than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghan_04 View Post
    > grab one from IOFlood

I would advise against IOFlood. Not because of their quality or service, but because they do not offer any other type of RAID than software. If I were going to be hosting customers on servers, I would never do so without at least hardware RAID 1. To me, it's way too big of a risk otherwise, and still a big hassle to fix even if you take backups more frequently than usual.
    You're certainly entitled to your opinion, and I do admit that many people believe the same thing as you. If someone wants hardware raid, we are not the company for them.

We don't offer it because we believe it does not offer any advantages to the typical customer. We believe that in the typical use scenario, it does not provide additional security, performance, or reliability over software raid. Our experience has in fact been the opposite of this. It also increases costs, both directly because the card costs money, and indirectly, because of increased maintenance as well as requiring you to use more expensive TLER enabled drives in order to guarantee the same level of safety you would get with software raid with non-TLER drives.

Again, there certainly is room for debate on this topic, and there are plenty of people who make perfectly good arguments in favor of hardware raid. Personally I would not use it in my own servers if it could be avoided, and I won't rent hardware that I would not be willing to use myself.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com