Question

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone here have a DI server with less than 128mb of RAM. If so, any noticable problems with performance?

Does the DI server interface give the server admin or individual domain owners the ability to create sub domains such as cool.domain.com ?

What are the top three things you would do to make your experience with DI better?

Thanks

~ Marcus

Ok, where do I start.

I have been very happy with DI. My server has 128 megs so I can't comment on the speed difference personally, but I can say that a lot of RAM is the key to a fast server. You want to keep the swap file as small as possible.

The interface does the common jobs for you. Admin wise, it allows you to add/modify/delete DNS entries, virtual accounts, email accounts, quotas, and query the status of the various server applications (sendmail, ftp, etc..)

The end user interface allows you to query the status of the server applications, add email aliases, email forwarders, autoresponders, and install FP extensions.

I think the user interface could use some work. I wish my clients could create their own subdomains, and pop accounts.

I can't think of anything else that I would want from DI. They're support, network, and servers are fast and excellent. Some people do have a concern with the way they calculate their bandwidth usage. They use the 95th percentile system. Go to their site to read more about it, or do a search on this board.

Hope this helps.

Their support in my opinion has been diminishing over the last month. Ive asked to have some things done and some simple queries, one wne tun answered for 10 , count'em 10 days. This has not been the norm for DI until now, it seems even the simplest of answers or issues meets with long response times. I also had an issue on the way one thing was handled a while back, I up channeled it and meet with the same results.... now that a few more weeks have passed I guess i'll move it up to the next level. The only two folks I recommend there are Roland and John C.
    Greg Landis | Director of Growth Jaguarpc - Unlock Superior Hosting with JaguarPC
    Managed Servers - Virtual Private Servers | AMD EPYC Dedicated servers
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | (888)-338-5261 | greg @ jaguarpc.com

Roland is great. I have to agree with Jaguar though. Tickets are not been answered as fast as they once were. My latest one took 3 days. It wasn't that important a ticket, but it took 3 days nonetheless.

I'm pretty sure that you would get prompt support in case of an emergency though. I know when I had a serious problem once, it was dealt with in 30 minutes. Now that is fast.

Dialtone Internet is very good, I have a friend who just
    ordered one more server about 2 months ago and I am
    helping him with his database on his new server. I am
    use to them charging us for installations or when we damage
    something they will fix it with charges, if there is a bug
    on their server, they will fix it at not charge... I think
    this is a clean approach. They have been very fast with tickets
    and you can escalate problems to supervisors too.

Their hardware is excellent, IBM SCSI drives across the boards
    and Intel Pentium CPU's.

Their server interface is not designed for web hosters, it is
    very nice for just beginners, but you can add more stuff
    and make it more web hoster friendly if you like.

As their bandwidth some people don't like it, but it is because
    they do not understand it. Every 5 minutes, the system samples
    bandwidth usage at the dedicated switch port. At the end of
    the month, these samples are sorted from lowest to
    highest, and the top 5% (36 hours) are discarded. The
    remaining traffic level is the amount you are billed for. This
    allows for the spikes in traffic web sites sometimes have,
    without forcing you to commit to a higher level of traffic
    that you won't normally use. If you look at their providers
    ATT, UUNET, Level3, BellSouth, GlobalCrossing and Internap they
    all bill using 95% percentile, except Level3 who uses 90% percentile
    so that tells me that they got burstable connectivity, so they
    will not run out of bandwidth. I think most of the big or serious
    colo companies bill or invoice that way, unless they have yet to figure
    it out. So for me is a very fair and legal way of measuring bandwidth.

I am out...

Romero

Thumbs down

They are anything but great, I would like to reinstate my last post. Even when trying to upchannel something to a supervisor it has met with a few weeks of no response. You can rest assured they will not get anymore of my business.
    I called to speak in person about something and was told "You didnt mark emergency so we just pass over it, it doesnt get a priority unless you do and we will get to a non emergency ticket within 3-4 days" So now I guess if you want anything done, its an emergency. Don't be fooled by thier helpful sales team and get into business with these guys because the support team will only let you down.

Hey Jaguar,

That sounds really weird... but I guess companies
    can not make every single customer happy. I have been
    dealing with hosters and colocators at least 15 of them
    and I have around 4 favorites and they are definitely one of them.

As far as waiting for weeks to get a ticket close, that
    sounds even worse, you are definitely not using the
    escalation from their support site.

Anyway the guy was asking opinions so we both gave it to him, ;-)))

Romero

Ya, we both gave him one so I guess thats that. But I did use the escalation system , Im now on the second level because the first level of escalation just put me on the back burner. I hope I dont have to goto the thrid level (CEO) to get something done. Oh, well.. thats why Ive decided to gradually pull the plug from DI.
    Greg Landis | Director of Growth Jaguarpc - Unlock Superior Hosting with JaguarPC

What kind of problems are you experiencing Jag?

Id rather not post publicly but you can email if you want.

I have to agree with Jaguar's concerns about Dialtone's support. I have been waiting nearly two weeks for Dialtone to install software (an installation that I authorized charges for). Finally on Tuesday a tech started working on my support ticket but emailed me that he was pulled away to work on network issues and would reque the ticket. The next day a different tech responded with instructions on installing the software myself and closed the ticket.

I just received their newsletter and they apologized for the slow or lack of support lately.

They said they've been swamped and just hired a bunch of new Techs, so things should get better in the near future.

They also just signed a deal with ChilliSoft ASP to offer it to all their clients for FREE (except for the $95 installation fee)! That's pretty cool.

And they're also adding 2 more DS3's soon to Global Crossing and Internap. I don't think you can find a host with better connectivity. Unfortunately for some people (people with heavy spikes), the 95th percentile system of calculating bandwidth really sucks.

Ya , I got that newsletter as well. Thats great that they will be getting their **** back together and throwing in chilisoft asp is awesome. I really do wish they would get full lines though instead of this burstable crap so they could stop using the 95% method. If Alabanzaand VDI can do it why can't DI?

On another note, Ive been told by some folks at DI that a new interface is coming out soon and may have some much needed improvements, we'll see. Looking forward to seeing what they have done.

New INTERFACE!! YES PLEASE!!

That would be great. Well, we'll just have to wait and see.

steveb Guest

control panel

it would have been nice if DI was to ask their clients what they would have liked to have seen in the new control panel, instead of guessing what people would like.

They would get it right the first time then.

steve