it will be super sweet when govrt. get in on fiber war

http://news.com.com/Cities+brace+for...?tag=nefd.lede

was reading it this morning and it got me thinking how sweet it will be if local govrt. can get in on building infrastructure all over the U.S. instead waitng for Cable and Baby Bell to decide which city, county, small town get it first. i've live in small town before and let me tell you we are the last one to get anything!

if govrt. build the infrastructure like the one at Utah. maybe the colo price will drop or people can start their own DC with lower budget.

what do you guy think?

I just went to an ADC exhibit on Fiber networks (FTTH). It seems that suburbia and rural areas will likely be the first to see these emerging technologies. I would say that the scariest threat to FTTH in rural areas is wimax. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on which side you are on). Wimax is just enough to satisfy the websurfing needs of the average urbanite. This is unfortunate to me because we find the greatest innovations when we have the capacity to innovate. I strongly believe that wimax (while having it's advantages) will be just effective enough to stop the costly process of laying fiber in urban areas. One more reason for me to move away from the city....50megs/6 megs would be AWFULLY SWEET!

Where city govt has gotten involved, such as Palo Alto, CA, it has been a flop. The end-users just arent picking it up, they expect it to be 'free', and the city is charging like $15k per building just for entrance fees. In many parts of Palo Alto it is cheaper to go with a regular vendor rather then the city fiber.

My first thought was I635, Dallas, TX, 5pm. Yeah, let them run the "super highway" too.
    Looking for next opportunity

Here in Vancouver, the govt tries to sponsor another company to lay infrastructure so Telus doesn't monopolize. It didnt work out and the fiber laid ended up being Telus's assets as well. The point is gov't projects usually screw up and waste taxpayer's money...
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

Personally, I want the government to stay out of the internet altogether. Whenever the government gets involved in anything they end up screwing it up and in the long run it would end up hurting business development. Government subsidies to larger corporations who could do the job would be a better way to go (with proper oversight), but do I want to see a government run ISP? NO! The government needs to stay out of all areas that can be filled by corporations already in place. Just think about the government run ISP's tech support.... man that's an even scarier thought than some tech support already offered by big national ISPs.

Originally posted by JamesonA
    I just went to an ADC exhibit on Fiber networks (FTTH). It seems that suburbia and rural areas will likely be the first to see these emerging technologies. I would say that the scariest threat to FTTH in rural areas is wimax. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on which side you are on). Wimax is just enough to satisfy the websurfing needs of the average urbanite. This is unfortunate to me because we find the greatest innovations when we have the capacity to innovate. I strongly believe that wimax (while having it's advantages) will be just effective enough to stop the costly process of laying fiber in urban areas. One more reason for me to move away from the city....50megs/6 megs would be AWFULLY SWEET!
    I'll go ahead and back you up on this one. Chesterfield County, VA (at the time, pretty rural but it has picked up the pace quite a but in recent years) was the first test market for @Home.

The last thing we need is the govt. getting involved in a project like this. I've worked in the public sector for many years now and trust me, people in government are usually not the sharpest tools in the shed. If seen them f'up swimming pool and sidewalk projects. I can only imagine how poorly a major telco project would roll out.

Municipalities acting as telcos has money pit written all over it. It's better for everyone when cities let in a regulated monopoply and then tax the hell out of them. When the telco has problems or gets sick of dealing with the city they sell and the city works out a similar deal with the new owners. The citizens get their data/cable services and the city gets a steady stream of tax money.

Yeah... the government has such a great history of taking on projects and doing them in a timely, efficient, and cost effective manner.

Originally posted by Mfjp
    Here in Vancouver, the govt tries to sponsor another company to lay infrastructure so Telus doesn't monopolize. It didnt work out and the fiber laid ended up being Telus's assets as well. The point is gov't projects usually screw up and waste taxpayer's money...
    Ditto.

Anything the private sector can do the government can do...worse.

how about laying down fiber and not running it. build up the infrusturcute. since city have no problem with getting permit and all.

they can build it up and lure business in. they won't manage it. let private business run it. city just build 'em.

would that work?

Not really. Usually municipal is on a tight budget, if they need to lay fiber, it would burden them in more debt.
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC