Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    facilitator Guest

Talking

Can anyone recommend a Good UK Host, one where I can move my entire site to.

Any help will be appreciated.

Noel

Question

How much do u want to spend? How much space do u need? What technologies do u need? How busy is your site?

Unless u need hands on access to the server, u would find a more cost effective solution hosted in the states (due to the sheer number of host's there).

Thanks for your reply. Have a look at the site yourself. People tell me it is impossibly slow. Yes I need to be able to change file and upload new pages from my PC.

The site is currently hosted by a Free Host (Value Web).

I don't mind paying but not too much.

Regards

Noel

Originally posted by triumph595:
    How much do u want to spend? How much space do u need? What technologies do u need? How busy is your site?

Unless u need hands on access to the server, u would find a more cost effective solution hosted in the states (due to the sheer number of host's there).

By the way, the site is: www.spainproperty.net

Noel

Hiyaz, Ive looked at your site and i think i could host the site for you. Check out http://www.fthosting.co.uk we are uk based and offer cheap prices.

Thanks for the reply.

I have had a look at your site and will come back to you when things are, as you put it, 100%.

Regards

Noel

Originally posted by fthosting:
    Hiyaz, Ive looked at your site and i think i could host the site for you. Check out http://www.fthosting.co.uk we are uk based and offer cheap prices.

Hiya again i hope you get back to us when we are fully operational again. All we are waiting on now is for the mysql databases to be sorted out and we are up and running properly.

------------------
    Signing off for now Eddie

Had a look at the site (see what you mean about valueweb being slow!). Looks like just plain HTML pages at the moment, so you can literally take your pick. If that's the case, I've used Demon in the past (comes free with the dial up account, and they are pretty quick). If you want to expand, db on the back and stuff, then I'm not sure who to recommend in the UK, but I've used InterLand in the states before, and they were OK.

By the way, quick tip: take all the spaces out of your files and directories. e.g. "what clients say" should be "whatclientssay" in the actual directory, otherwise you are going to have some trouble with some browsers.

If you are still on the luck out for a decent uk based webhost check out http://www.webdesign.co.uk. They have a good of uk webhosts.

Originally posted by facilitator:
    Thanks for your reply. Have a look at the site yourself. People tell me it is impossibly slow. Yes I need to be able to change file and upload new pages from my PC.

The site is currently hosted by a Free Host (Value Web).

Wow. That is pretty slow - though I think I would make the distinction that your "Value Web" (namesdirect.com) is not the same US-based Value Web, which is much better, speed-wise.

I don't know any UK-based hosts other than the ones mentioned already, sad to say....

Years back I used to use lochnet.co.uk, from what I can remember they we're quite good.

Nukem Guest

can you be in the US and still get hosted by a UK host ?

Yes, of course. Why not?

I'm in the UK and hosted by a US company.

Thank you very much for your help and advice.

Noel

Had a look at the site (see what you mean about valueweb being slow!). Looks like just plain HTML pages at the moment, so you can literally take your pick. If that's the case, I've used Demon in the past (comes free with the dial up account, and they are pretty quick). If you want to expand, db on the back and stuff, then I'm not sure who to recommend in the UK, but I've used InterLand in the states before, and they were OK.

By the way, quick tip: take all the spaces out of your files and directories. e.g. "what clients say" should be "whatclientssay" in the actual directory, otherwise you are going to have some trouble with some browsers.

Thanks for your advice. I do appreciate it.

regards

Noel

Originally posted by fthosting:
    If you are still on the luck out for a decent uk based webhost check out http://www.webdesign.co.uk. They have a good of uk webhosts.

Thank you Annette and all you people who take the bother to reply.

Regards

Noel

Originally posted by Annette:
    Wow. That is pretty slow - though I think I would make the distinction that your "Value Web" (namesdirect.com) is not the same US-based Value Web, which is much better, speed-wise.

I don't know any UK-based hosts other than the ones mentioned already, sad to say....

I will have a ;look for them. Thanks

Noel

Originally posted by Admin:
    Years back I used to use lochnet.co.uk, from what I can remember they we're quite good.

Sorry, I did not say, I am in the UK.

Thanks

noel

Originally posted by Nukem:

Mark Hewitt Guest

Take a look at http://www.bigbytes.co.uk for a list of hosting packages and email response times (this is not my site.

The newsgroup alt.internet.providers.uk is the best place to ask this question.

voice of reason Guest

Originally posted by Nukem:
    Yes, but AVOID TRUE HOSTING AT ALL COSTS!

Here we go again.... Give truehosting topic a break everyone has got the drift about them now...
    Also i found that site very useful bigbytes.co.uk but id like to know where they got them stats for webhost repsonses. I've mailed most of them hosts and the average time aint what it says on there. a few of them are right thebrickhouse.net answer fast so do webneticss the others ive found take there time.

Eddie -

True, people should restrict the whole TH topic to the TH thread. But someone looking for a UK host should be aware not only of TH's practices, but of the fact that while they are a UK company, their servers are in the States (at least until Alabanza gets rid of them).

Another thing to look out for (to the original poster) is awardhosting.com - looks exactly like TH, and is regged by TH as well. I'd tend to avoid anything associated with TH completely.

You might want to ask on alt.internet.providers.uk, as Mark suggested, for some reputable companies, as they would probably know better than someone here in the States....

Originally posted by Annette:
    Eddie -

True, people should restrict the whole TH topic to the TH thread. But someone looking for a UK host should be aware not only of TH's practices, but of the fact that while they are a UK company, their servers are in the States (at least until Alabanza gets rid of them).

Another thing to look out for (to the original poster) is awardhosting.com - looks exactly like TH, and is regged by TH as well. I'd tend to avoid anything associated with TH completely.
    Look scum. You have been told to go back to your hole in the ground. Nobody believes your fraudulent ramblings. Nobody is "getting rid" of us, face it that we are not going to be shut down. We have thousands of very happy customers, and no we do not have any problems.

Go back to your day job of robbing little old ladies.

Originally posted by Davey:
    Look scum. You have been told to go back to your hole in the ground. Nobody believes your fraudulent ramblings. Nobody is "getting rid" of us, face it that we are not going to be shut down. We have thousands of very happy customers, and no we do not have any problems.

Go back to your day job of robbing little old ladies.
    You are possibly the most unpleasant person I have had to deal with, ever. Put up your evidence or shut up, weaselboy. And I guess we'll see what happens on May 5, which is the dealine Alabanza has given you, won't we?

To the original poster, who was looking for a UK-host: this is exactly why True Hosting, or any derivative thereof, should not be on your list.

Do not go with fthosting! It is a one-man-band operation, that cannot afford to pay its debts.

They were a reseller, but ran up debts they could not pay. They are currently the subject of collection and court actions. Watch out - he could try and disappear at any time. I would not trust any money with this guy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast