Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think at some point everyone is going to face a bad review or two because it's the nature of the business. You just can't please everyone and that's a fact. I think what is one of the most crucial elements to recovering from a bad review is to handle yourself professionally and represent yourself and your company to the highest standard.

Obviously, if you're at fault and were wrong in the situation, then you need to rethink how you conduct business and carry yourself in a public manner. If you run a proper, ethical, and moral business and do the right thing, you'll probably have no problem recovering from a bad review.
    Doug
    Finance, Operations, and Business Executive

Quote Originally Posted by markgrannum18 View Post
    I looked at the concerns of the client I was presented with, I rectified the problem with the company by removing the offer to the public, submitted a refund right away to the client, did not bicker about the statements he made if there right or wrong, nor do I plan to dispute one persons misunderstanding of an issue.
    And in doing so you made it out to potential clients that you had no interest or understanding of the complaint. I'm not saying you should bicker with them but a simple, "Sorry we let you down, I've pulled the offer while we review everything" would have been a much better reply to make.

You started this thread so I think you opened yourself to some of this flak when you have unresolved complaints posted here about you and you decide to give others advice about handling complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Wullie View Post
    You started this thread so I think you opened yourself to some of this flak when you have unresolved complaints posted here about you and you decide to give others advice about handling complaints.
    I think most of the negativity here was unfair to OP. Since when is manning up and admitting a lesson learned opening yourself up to abuse? Only on this board I suppose. It seems to me he is well-intentioned.
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    I think most of the negativity here was unfair to OP. Since when is manning up and admitting a lesson learned opening yourself up to abuse? Only on this board I suppose. It seems to me he is well-intentioned.
    Did you actually read the thread in question?

Nobody commented that what they said in this thread was wrong, just that they should have handled their own complaint better in that other thread.

They replied to a massive complaint saying their services were not ready for prime time by simply saying:

Thank you gentlemen for your review I look forward to providing long lasting and better service to you and your associates.
    To reply like that you have to be oblivious to what the post was even about, it simply makes no sense to post that reply to that thread. I already gave an example earlier in this thread of a simple reply that would have been better in the situation.

When you open a thread titled "How to recover from bad reviews" and you seriously screwed up a previous review, I think it's fair that someone pointed that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wullie View Post
    Did you actually read the thread in question?

Nobody commented that what they said in this thread was wrong,
    You, yourself said he was getting a lot of flak -- I quoted you using that word in my post.

You, yourself said he was getting a lot of flak -- I quoted you using that word in my post.
    If you are going to reply, please read what I wrote and reply to that, not just a bit of it out of context.

I said he opened himself to flak when he posted this and he did. I did not comment at all on him "manning up and admitting a lesson learned" as that was posted later in the thread, after the flak he got. It also was not posted in the other thread, he didn't actually acknowledge the customer's reason for complaint in any way, he simply made a comment that implied the OP's complaint was a good review rather than negative.

The only comment about this made after he admitted he was out of his depth was me saying he should have replied better, that is hardly giving him flak in any sense of the meaning, it was constructive criticism as I still get the impression from their replies that the OP doesn't actually realise what happened in that thread.

So this thread is really a continuation of a different thread where he may have deserved some negativity? I took it as a followup regarding lessons learned since that time.

Subscriped! getting the popcorns out nothing beats some WHT excitement on a late Sunday afternoon seriously this just gets deeper and deeper..

Actually in all fairness to Funkywizard I've really learned alot about what he's posted here some great tips and I think there's much good smart advice and insight into "screening" clients

So this thread is really a continuation of a different thread where he may have deserved some negativity? I took it as a followup regarding lessons learned since that time.
    I wouldn't say it was a continuation of the other thread. The OP posted advice for how to recover from a bad review and someone else called them on their inability to actually deal with a previous negative review.

If you are going to post advising someone of something, you really should get your own house in order first. It's a bit like taking advice from banks bailed out by the government on how to avoid a financial crisis. I wouldn't pick them as my first source of advice when they clearly didn't deal with it the best way themselves when they were in that situation.

For somebody service is great and for next one it sucks and reverse ... So reviews are not always a good measure of service quality.
    QHoster.com - Web Hosting with DDoS Protection | Shared & Reseller in Europe/North America
    Linux/Windows RDP VPS 13 Locations : UK, US (5 states), Mexico, Canada, Bulgaria, Lithuania,
    Italy, France, Germany,Netherlands, Switzerland, Rissia, Singapore | OpenVPN/PPTP Enabled
    INSTANT | PayPal, Skrill, Payza, Bitcoin, WebMoney, Perfect Money, Ukash, CashU, paysafecard

Quote Originally Posted by WebHostDog View Post
    For somebody service is great and for next one it sucks and reverse ... So reviews are not always a good measure of service quality.
    How true. Just about anyone with a cpanel config can have lightning fast servers and provide "personalized" support because they only have one server and it has only a few sites. Then some go belly-up because there is an issue that can't be fixed from a control panel and they don't have the knowledge or resources to recover. Ahh....but what great reviews they had up to that time!

On the other end of the spectrum there are the larger hosts with thousands, sometimes millions of active web sites, that fall victim to the you-can't -please-everyone-all-of-the-time syndrome and the 1% are typically louder and shriller than the other 99%

I would say any host that has been around for a couple of years and has real employees with a real payroll to meet is the best bet.
    Last edited by Collabora; 05-09-2012 at 12:51 PM.

If the reviews are honest (from both sides) the people on this forum can normally point out (and call out for that matter) people that are in the wrong. All you can to is post your side of the story and if you are right it will come out in the end.
    Kevin Boyle- Hivelocity- Account Manager
    Bare Metal Servers. Colocation. Private Cloud.
    Customers in over 130 countries. Privately owned and operated data centers.
    Exclusive Flat Rate cPanel Provider

Knowing when where and how to respond to criticism is important, in the heat of the moment it is always best to satisfy the customer's request and any hosting company would know that if he wants his server up if it is down you get it up and running, if he wants a refund you provide it quickly, that being said and done the hosting company can now look closely and procedures to prevent similar errors by implement preventative measures and possible provide 100% customer satisfaction.

You will always get one who you cant please for some reason or another some people are just simply impossible to please even if you go the extra mile for them.

Welcome to the world of hosting where alot of unrealistic people attempt to do business...
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12