Hosting 101 help

Okay, I'm going to be upfront. I know web design. Not so knowledgable about Web Hosting. I'm looking at different hosting packages, and I'm hoping you all can help me understand what it is I'm looking at:

Disk Space: I'm finding lots of "Unlimited space" ads. Now I do have some computer knowledge, and that knowedge is telling me that 'unlimited' more likely means "We'll lets you use up to XGbs, which is probably more then you will use but if you use more then it, we'll hit you." Am I right? Or does unlimited space really mean unlimited space?
    Bandwidth : Same question as the unlimited space. Bandwidth is money, both going in and coming out. More of it being used means more resources being expended, and resources means money.
    Domains Allowed : Okay, Domains are the whatever.com or whoever.net right? The actual name followed by the domain extension that gets typed into the browser.
    Free Dedicated IP: Okay no real knowledge here. Can someone enlighten me please?
    Free Private SSL : Secure Server line? I know I've worked for companies that referred to SSLs but typically in the context of So-&-so can't access his files because the SSL is down.

Also, I'm working with TeenAIDS who is redesigning their site and it seems I'm being used for far more then I was originally asked for. Now I'm taking to the challenge of it and expanding my skills considerably due to these challenges. We're looking to build a site that will be WordPress driven. So I know we need to have php and MySql support. Anything else?

First and foremost welcome to WHT and for your questions, check this page: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.

Ok stay away from sites that promise Unlimited anything because its not really a guarantee of service, since nothing is actually unlimited. Its better to go with a host that tells you what amount of space and bandwidth that you are actually allocated.

A dedicated IP is a unique Internet address dedicated exclusively to a single hosting account. Normally, several hosting accounts reside on a single server and share that server's IP address. Dedicated IP addresses are usually used for large SSL-encrypted secure websites and particularly large and/or traffic-heavy sites. Most shared hosting users have no particular need for a dedicated IP address.

Yes a domain is whatever.com.

SSL is the standard security technology for establishing an encrypted link between a web server and a browser. This link ensures that all data passed between the web server and browsers remain private and integral. SSL is an industry standard and is used by millions of websites in the protection of their online transactions with their customers.

There are loads of web hosts here and the offers section would be where to find out more info on them.

First off welcome to WHT...

Second

Disk space: There is no such thing as unlimited hard drive space.. It is usually a marketing tactic used to attract customers. Usually a host that offers unlimited space and bandwidth you should tend to avoid.
    Bandwidth: see disk space
    Domains allowed: means you can host your own domain name instead of using a sub domain (ie. subdomain.hostname.com)
    A dedicated IP just means that your site will have its own IP address that is not shared with any other websites. Usually the only reason you would need a dedicated IP would be for a SSL cert.
    SSL : Secure Socket Layer - this is what you are using when you visit a site with https:// instead of http://. It means that the information is encrypted when it is sent over the internet.

If all you are hosting is a wordpress site then a standard hosting package would be plenty. It comes down to a quality host. Look for a host with a track record and has been around for a while.

Its better to go with a host that tells you what amount of space and bandwidth that you are actually allocated.
    The truth is not quite so absolute.

1. A host offering huge amounts of anything for a relatively low price, (say 1TB of space for $4 a month) is no better than one offering unlimited. You're about as likely to be able to use 1TB of space, as you are to use unlimited. You're about as likely to be allowed to use 1TB as you are to use unlimited. (Always read the TOS carefully, especially if you know you're a rather heavy user.)

2. A limited bandwidth or space are not an absolute guarantee that you'll be able to use them all up, under any circumstances. If you're offered 100GB of data transfer, you're supposed to use it during a month, not an hour. While that is a bit of an extreme case, it remains true that any host expects only a certain CPU/memory/I/O usage, which will generally be smaller the less you pay. The same goes for unlimited hosting.

Unlimited is not a guarantee of bad service, any more than limited is a guarantee of good service. Your hosting experience depends mostly on the specific provider that you end up choosing.

The above is true for shared hosting. Reseller hosting comes with a different scenario and limitations, and unlimited packages there make less of a sense. It remains true that you can expect about as much as you pay though, and knowing the price of a good dedicated server can help guide your estimates on what is possible and what is not.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    The truth is not quite so absolute.

1. A host offering huge amounts of anything for a relatively low price, (say 1TB of space for $4 a month) is no better than one offering unlimited. You're about as likely to be able to use 1TB of space, as you are to use unlimited. You're about as likely to be allowed to use 1TB as you are to use unlimited. (Always read the TOS carefully, especially if you know you're a rather heavy user.)
    Very true, but unlimited providers are the worst for falling through on promises of service in my personal experience. My main point was that if something seems to good to be true it generally is.

1 piece of advice. Please stay away from #1 Oversellers and #2 Unlimited hosts. Both of these are just marketing strategies to get more customers but ultimately get customers that would greatly affect a server.

As stated earlier unlimited is never unlimited when you start using to many of the alloted resources they normally stop you and ask for an upgrade or shut down your site.

You are correct on what domains are. They are connected to the host via DNS

A free dedicated ID allows you to have a separate IP from all of the other shared accounts on the server. This helps if the shared IP is black listed or if you want an SSL certificate (encryption for your page)

The SSL encrypts the page to allow for data to be sent through the site safely.

Many websites offer an installation script for Wordpress through Fantastico so really as long as you have MySQL and PHP its almost a 1-click installation then you just redirect to the setup page to configure the actual installation
    Affordable Web Hosting
    Newfound-Hosting
    Shared & Reseller Packages Available
    Sales@Newfound-Hosting.com | (630) 344-9067

Unlimited providers don't usually disable a site because of the amount of diskspace used. They only allow clients a very small amount of CPU usage and when that happens you are forced to upgrade or have a suspended site.

Don't take the cheap way out if you care about your site. Your best bet would be to find a budget host with a 4$-6$/month price range. As your site grows you can usually upgrade your account with the click of a mouse inside the client area.

You will be fine, always remember this. You get what you pay for! That term doesn't apply only to tangible items, it also applies to web hosting!

Best of luck finding a web host!

thanks for the responses guys. All my classes have been about designing the visual web site with a little tech background, but nothing in this range. I am skimming through that link you gave me Yujin, thanks.

Presently I use Godaddy.com and I have a cheapie .info domain registered with whatever their most basic hosting package is. I'd always figured they're 'unlimited bandwidth' claims were a bit of shaky statement, but given the fact that I only use the services as a means to play around and test out stuff, I never worried about it. Mainly I use the host and registration as a means to go "Hmm, I wonder what happens if I delete this file..." *Refreshes page* "Oh, the website stops working. Restore!" I've never had an issue with GoDaddy that wasn't self-inflicted and I've never had trouble getting help from them to help me fix whatever it was that I broke.