Bluehost: limits?

Bluehost apparently offers unlimited bandwidth and disk space (so they say). This seems suspicious. Are there any limitations I should be aware of?

Hogging the CPU will surely get any shared host's attention, since you have to play nicely with others on the server.

The closer your content is to being static the more you can use up. Sloppy coding & DB usage will cut it down.

I am planning to use a CMS (Joomla) and a web forum.

If the site eventually becomes popular, will it still be fine on Bluehost?

4. The limits on 'unlimited' is actually that they are most likely overselling the service. No server can handle truly unlimited space or bandwidth and therefore the hope is that most clients won't use all they are allocated. If their business model includes drastic overselling, then you will see a performance hit to the server as they add more clients to it and therefore your sites will not be serving very fast.

Depends on how popular but more likely then not if it gets popular enough bluehost will no longer work for you. Although thats probably the case with any site on a shared account.

I just read their TOS. I can't have any foul language on sites hosted by Bluehost?!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno McDohl View Post

I doubt there are any hosts that don't have plenty of Joomla, Wordpress, phpBB, etc... customers that are fine.

If you're at the "if the site ever gets popular" stage, you'll be fine at any host, then just see how it goes from there as the site grows.

Whether it's an oversold host or not, most people hardly use any of what they pay for and their sites never get the traffic they think they will.

And if a site does start outgrowing its environment (because of traffic - not sloppy coding), it shouldn't have any trouble paying for itself.

I just read their TOS. I can't have any foul language on sites hosted by Bluehost?!
    Are you planning on having a lot of foul language? You might wanna try somewhere else more liberal.

Also, if you think your site is going to get really popular really fast, you may even want to look elsewhere and avoid unlimited plans.

I don't plan on it, but if I offer a forum people may swear.

I don't plan on it, but if I offer a forum people may swear.
    Make sure you add it as a rule on your forum and give out warnings if they swear.
    Thats what I do.

I'd rather not do that though. If someone has had a bad day, I don't want to tell them not to swear.

I'd like to offer a forum where we're all mature people and we can handle swearing.

well some forum scripts like IPB have swear filters so if some one were to swear it just shows up as ***.
    I think I can understand where you are coming from though. My forums for all ages and I have a few 9 year olds on there along with the parents of some of those and I have to have the rule but adults are allowed to swear in the adult forum only so a swear filter for me does not work.

Although maybe blue host is not right for you if swearing is going to be done and they do not allow it.

Any way hope I was able to help.

haha... I figured you just misread a "no hate speech" rule, but sure enough:

Foul language and profanity in the site content, and in the domain name are prohibited.

Other than a host trying to cash in on the religion crowd, I can't really see why they'd censor content to that extreme... and it wouldn't surprise me if 90% of their customers never read it and are in violation.

You might want to email them directly and ask them to specifically define what's acceptable and how it's enforced.

As it's written, a forum, blog comments, or anything else that allows user input would require very strict moderation.

Having said all that, Bluehost is huge and they have a ton of customers... and I've never heard of a single case where someone got in trouble over a bad word. If I were them, I'd probably remove that line from the TOS, or be more specific and clearly draw out the lines that can't be crossed--if it's a loosely enforced rule.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php

Search for BlueHost CPU or HostMonster CPU (hostmonster=bluehost=hostmonster)

Some threads you can find with the search tool:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=707023
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=708867
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=708971

You could still be fine using them, I'm not bashing them, but you really should run your own searches and conduct your own background research.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

I don't think any host can offer unlimited bandwidth and disk space. That would mean I think someone can basically take over an entire server and still be okay. That doesn't sound right to me... Do some research.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike in FL View Post
    ...I've never heard of a single case where someone got in trouble over a bad word.

What about here, and here?

You should also be aware that Bluehost is having a hard time backing up their servers (according to their CEO) so be sure you keep your own backups.

I really, really would suggest you do a Search here at WHT for Bluehost, you will find the results very interesting, and completely applicable to your inquiry about limits.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

I'd like to offer a forum where we're all mature people and we can handle swearing.
    Then again, maturity could be signaled by the ability to restrain from swearing as well.

Are there any limitations I should be aware of?
    This should be of interest to you:

http://helpdesk.bluehost.com/kb/inde...root=75&id=498

Bottom line though, $7 will buy your only so much CPU and memory usage. No host will let you use an entire server all by yourself for that amount of money.

Mike in FL is right, in the sense that you need to make it a priority to have the site pay for itself sooner rather than later.

maybe for a while....it should be fine.

but if it gets too busy..well it's really in the lap of the gods....oh! and be sure not to use too many plug ins with joomla but apart from that, you're site should be fine for a while at least.

or as ldcdc says...$7 will buy your only so much CPU and memory usage....and noone can argue with that.

owm
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    hahaha, that wordpress bluehost story made me laugh so hard, I love how the guy messed with the chat rep...haha, awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    LOl good reads those are.

Thanks for posting those.

Quote Originally Posted by Hostamina View Post
    I love how the guy messed with the chat rep...
    It is the part I do not care about in the conversation. He went about it in a matter of frustration to try to resolve a problem of his site being shut down which he didn't even think he would encounter.

The bottom line buyer beware of a web hosting company's TOS / AUP policies as they have the right to shut you down if you violate their agreement for any reason.