cloud computing vs virtual (or VPS) servers

Hey

I'm trying to wrap my head around the difference between cloud computing vs virtual (or VPS) servers - they seem very similar.

Let me know!

Cheers,
    Melissa

Different definitions of cloud computing, so that's why you're confused. The general cloud concept is of a system that is highly scalable and not dependent on one physical server, so it's redundant from hardware failure.

A VPS will be a virtualised 'slice' of a physical server. It will act much like it was its own server, with allocated RAM, Disk and CPU. However if that physical server fails, then all the virtual servers on it will be offline until it's repaired.

You can find virtual servers on cloud platforms. Difference being that rather than there just being one physical server there will be a grid of servers and an automatic failover process. So if physical server fails, your virtual server can be reprovisioned automatically on alternative hardware.

You also have rackspace cloud sites, which is different as you don't get your private server and operating system - just the ability to host sites on a redundant scalable platform.

Hope that helps.
    Jo Stonehouse - Kualowww.kualo.com
    Shared Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Cloud VPS & Dedicated Servers
    UK: 0800 138 3235 ❘ USA: 1-800-995-8256

Quote Originally Posted by smichm View Post
    Hey

I'm trying to wrap my head around the difference between cloud computing vs virtual (or VPS) servers - they seem very similar.
    Cloud computing platforms leverage virtualization for ease of deployment and to be in control of hardware nodes. Although not all cloud implementations use virtualization. Keep in mind that today's cloud does not scale up and is more of a marketing strategy.

Regards
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    Server Management - Unlimited Servers. Unlimited Requests. One Plan!
    cPanel Varnish Plugin -- Seamless SSL Caching (Let's Encrypt, AutoSSL, etc)
    Slow Site or Server? Unable to handle traffic? Same day performance fix: joe@unixy

Cloud is a marketing term. If I run SQL on separate server, is that a cloud?

I'd like to think it at least means clustered servers specifically set up for individual tasks such as SQL, Mail etc. with each of those servers having fault tolerance, giving practically 100% uptime.

I've seen standard Xen based VPS advertised as cloud hosting.

At this point in time, cloud is such a loose and abused term that I remain seriously underwhelmed.
    Web Hosting Plus
    Premium Australian Web Hosting

I have seen VPS.net offering VPS on a VPS cloud. Does anybody know what technology they use for the VPS cloud? Also, can I use VSphere for a VPS cloud?
    Nitesh Shah

My Personal Blog - http://www.niteshn.info
    My Technical Blog - http://www.techknowlogy.in

Quote Originally Posted by nitaish View Post
    I have seen VPS.net offering VPS on a VPS cloud. Does anybody know what technology they use for the VPS cloud? Also, can I use VSphere for a VPS cloud?
    xen I beleive

Quote Originally Posted by wise View Post
    xen I beleive
    Plus some secret sauce?

Quote Originally Posted by LaptopFreak View Post
    Plus some secret sauce?
    a well written API!

You can use AppLogic
    Jo Stonehouse - Kualowww.kualo.com
    Shared Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Cloud VPS & Dedicated Servers
    UK: 0800 138 3235 ❘ USA: 1-800-995-8256

A cloud is a pool of resources that allows your server to scale up and down whenever you wish. It also offers the redundancy and reliability with high-availability hosting that virtualization does not offer.

Cloud can also virtualize switches, firewalls, load balancers and other data center hardware that virtualization on its own cannot do.
    Right Servers Inc. - Fully Managed VPS and Fully Managed Bare Metal Servers in US & Canada. We want to empower entrepreneurs to grow their business, not their IT headaches. Managed is better.
    High Availability | SSD | DirectAdmin & Softaculous | Daily Backups |Firewall & Security |30 Day Money Back Guarantee

If it was a choice between cloud and vps I would go cloud everytime. I have been using rackspace cloud servers for a while and they are amazing. With cloud servers you get the ability to rapidly deploy servers with hourly pricing which is especially useful for experimenting with software or techniques.