On which forum should questions be directed pertaining to html, other coding web site building, improvements, how to make something work be posted. There doesn't seem to be a forum that fits these types of questions. Is that by design ie: Is Webhosting talk trying to stay away from that area specifically and deal with more of the hosting company side of things?

I suppose this one, but you're right- there doesn't seem to be a clear cut "html" type section. here is fine since most everyone passes by this forum too.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Well if WebhostingTalk is interested in having these type of questions and there isn't presently would they consider setting up a new forum? It seems a shame to clutter up the general forum with "my image isn't showing what's wrong" type questions.

Maybe their are sites similar in format to this one where that type of question would be better directed. Is anyone aware of similar?

You could try at sitepointforums.com (has a code section). I think it is a good idea, though sitepoint has quite a few forums. I don't want to say "too many" but...

I suppose since this is webhostingtalk, the forums are geared more towards web hosting, not coding.

• Chicken

Thanks Chicken been there before but forgot to bookmark the site. Had another look and registered. It is far far better than Webhosting for the nitty gritty side of web site construction. I agree there are a lot of forums but I guess I will only read the one's pertaining to my interests.

P.S. You quickee explanation of SSI was the best short answer I have ever seen. I never really understood its purpose before but after seeing an example instead of 10 paragraphs of gobblydee gook which I lost interest in it clicked what to use it for.

Originally posted by Chicken
    I suppose since this is webhostingtalk, the forums are geared more towards web hosting, not coding.
    <point target="Website Reviews/Help Requested......"></point>

I don't think BC shares that opinion. He seems to feel the website review forum best suits your needs, gthorley.
    VWSpeedRacer
    My sites:
    Watercooled Volkswagens
    Diecast Cars

Cool

LOL @ Mage!

Wellllllll..... If it's general HTML/design questions, then General Convo or Reviews forum is fine. We could always move the thread around later if really necessary. It's not like it's a major biggie or anything
    My 2 Cents.... (or is that 2.2 cents inc. GST...?)

Have a think about this : Programming is like sex. Make a single little mistake, and you'll be supporting it for the rest of your life.

Am I missing something. Where did BC say anything except after your post. Did you see a post that I missed or were you suggesting Chicken was incorrect and BC would want those type of questions in the review forum. You got me confused.

If I want a web site reviewed I would put it there. I wouldn't want to read about someones html problems there.

Originally posted by Mage
    Originally posted by Chicken
    <point target="Website Reviews/Help Requested......"></point>

I don't think BC shares that opinion. He seems to feel the website review forum best suits your needs, gthorley.

Heh, glad you liked the quickie explanation. I agree that sitepoint has more forums that cover scripting/code, etc. Not sure Matt would want to add that or not, but I think this forum compliments sitepoint's rather well. Not every forum can be everything to everyone

P.S. I fixed that post as I forgot to mention one little thing that could cause failure of the ssi call.

[Edited by Chicken on 10-23-2000 at 08:27 PM]

• Chicken

Scripting Forum

I kind of like the idea that the forums here focus more on hosting issues; although, surely, I'd be in favor of a separate section or sections for html, Perl, etc.

In the meantime, I might suggest a forum devoted to scripting matters: http://www.HotScripts.com has added one recently.

I'm one of the moderators there; but they've also got a number of pretty darned hot coders as members who do a great job of fielding questions on JavaScript, Perl, PHP, etc.

Yeah, I can see that a scripting forum of sorts wouldn't go astray. The thing is though, I wonder if the volume for scripting questions is enough to warrant the traffic yet. As Chicken said, the main premise of WHT is web hosting, and that's obviously what it concentrates on, with the Website Reviews forum there to 'complement' by letting hosts offer their sites up for criticism.

I guess I'll bring it up with Matt in the next few days and see what he says.
    My 2 Cents.... (or is that 2.2 cents inc. GST...?)

Have a think about this : Programming is like sex. Make a single little mistake, and you'll be supporting it for the rest of your life.