Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cheap DNS, or cheap VPS provider that allows DNS hosting

Hey, I'm looking to change hosting providers, and was wondering if anyone knows of any cheap (not free) DNS providers?

Alternatively, does anyone know if it would be practical to get a cheap VPS ($5 or less) or two and set up PowerDNS on them?

I was contemplating EdgeDirector.com, but am wondering how long "one million queries" would last.

i use www.nettica.com since years, very reliable, 5 dns (4 us, 1 eu)...
    no limit in queriers, good price scheme, since 4 years i use them i had 100% availability
    others are www.zoneedit.com, www.easydns.com, www.everydns.net

For how many domains do you need dns hosting? Do you need an integration into a hosting cart software or a reseller funtionality? own virtual nameservers (ns1/ns.yourbrand.com) If you can give some more details, you may get a better recomendation.

I will be putting about 15 domains on there (each with assorted A and CNAME entries). It'd be nice to have my own virtual nameservers, but is by no means required.

I also have a few third(fourth?)-level subdomains (i.e. somewhere.at.myhost.com), so it'd be nice if the system offers a straightforward means of entering them, i.e. "somewhere.at.myhost.com. IN A 127.0.0.1")... XName has a rather convoluted means of pulling this off, I have to delegate subdomains back to XName, then create a separate zone entry for the subdomain.

Also, no reseller/cart functionality would be required; anyone I host will be on my web servers, so I can just handle their DNS changes manually (the few people I host wouldn't know enough to set up their own DNS anyways).

i just checked you requirements with my nettica account, everything seems to work.
    they charge you 50 bucks for 50 domains p.year http://www.nettica.com/Domain/Bulk.aspx
    , and yes you can make ns1.yourDomain.xx without any extra costs very easy, no extra costs for queries , rebranding: http://www.nettica.co/articles.aspx?a=4
    sub.sub.sub.yourdomain.xx works, just checked it

for some unimportant domains i use mydomain.com's dns service which is most of the time slow, but it works too...

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Jones View Post
    ... I was contemplating EdgeDirector.com, but am wondering how long "one million queries" would last.
    Estimating usage is a black art. Some accounts at the low end are using less than 500 queries a day. At that rate, a million queries would last 200 days, or just over 6 months. So, it costs them about $30/year. But it's impossible to guarantee that you would see the same levels even if you had exactly the same number of page views. A lot depends on the usage pattern of your visitors.

On the other hand, if what you mean by "last" is referring to expiry, there is no expiry. they are yours until you burn them.

edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

... I also have a few third(fourth?)-level subdomains (i.e. somewhere.at.myhost.com), so it'd be nice if the system offers a straightforward means of entering them, i.e. "somewhere.at.myhost.com. IN A 127.0.0.1")...
    That's the way the edgedirector control panel handles them, no matter how many levels deep you go, it's at the top level. Just add as many dots as required. Handy if you are doing SRV records for sip systems.
    edgedirector.com
    exactstate.com

Quote Originally Posted by plumsauce View Post
    Estimating usage is a black art. Some accounts at the low end are using less than 500 queries a day. At that rate, a million queries would last 200 days, or just over 6 months.
    Does EdgeDirector offer any sort of monitoring of query usage? Preferably in graph form as well as raw numbers, so I can get an overall feel of how quickly my queries are getting used?

Most of the time, my sites are only used by me, and I'll occasionally host things for friends and family, so it sounds like I could find myself using far less than 500 queries a day (on average).

Also, does EdgeDirector allow changing the TTL for zones? I know shorter TTLs will result in more queries, but when I'm planning on setting up a new subdomain or moving servers or the like, my first course of action is often to drop my TTL so I'll see changes take effect sooner. Once I'm done fiddling around with the DNS and have things set up the way I like, then I bump the TTL back up to reduce the DNS load.

Does EdgeDirector offer any sort of monitoring of query usage? Preferably in graph form as well as raw numbers, so I can get an overall feel of how quickly my queries are getting used?
    You get a daily email report covering your usage at the account level for the most recent 14 days. It also notes your current balance. Reports at the zone level are available in the control panel.

Most of the time, my sites are only used by me, and I'll occasionally host things for friends and family, so it sounds like I could find myself using far less than 500 queries a day (on average).
    There are some that are using less than 500, but again, hard to predict at low usage levels.

Also, does EdgeDirector allow changing the TTL for zones? I know shorter TTLs will result in more queries, but when I'm planning on setting up a new subdomain or moving servers or the like, my first course of action is often to drop my TTL so I'll see changes take effect sooner. Once I'm done fiddling around with the DNS and have things set up the way I like, then I bump the TTL back up to reduce the DNS load.
    There is no restriction on TTL, but it is configured on a per record basis, not zone basis. Normally during a migration, you only need low TTL on the A records because other records refer to them by name and will follow along automagically.
    edgedirector.com
    exactstate.com

One last question -- not sure how I managed to miss asking this... where are EdgeDirector's name servers located, geographically, and how many would I have access to (i.e. will I just be able to set up ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com, or will I also get ns3, ns4, etc)?

One last question -- not sure how I managed to miss asking this... where are EdgeDirector's name servers located, geographically, and how many would I have access to (i.e. will I just be able to set up ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com, or will I also get ns3, ns4, etc)?
    There are actually multiple questions to answer, so let's separate them out for clarity.

There are currently three physical servers located in the US and Canada. They have a separation of at least 800 miles from each other. The quotes just came in for rackspace in Europe and Asia. If you need to know the exact cities, please make contact by email.

You get access to, and it is recommended, that you use all of the name servers. The name servers have .com and .org names to enhance dns traversal performance. The recommendation as to which set of names to use is in the control panel. Generally, using the .com series of names has the better traversal performance for most tld's.

Finally, the use of vanity dns is not supported. That is, you would not be registering ns1.yourdomain.com. Instead, you would use the same name server names that everyone else uses on the system.
    edgedirector.com
    exactstate.com

Hey, I'm looking to change hosting providers, and was wondering if anyone knows of any cheap (not free) DNS providers?

enom has paid dns
    Sneaky Little Hobbitses

Zerigo(.net) also have some nice cheap/free DNS services, and an API if you wish to use that Looks like they're currently testing geotargetted DNS too.

Lightbulb correction

The previous answer that a million queries would last about 200 days at a usage rate of 500 queries per day is incorrect.

The correct answer is 2000 days, or about 5.5 years.

So that works out to something a few cents short of 25 cents/month.

um...whoops

Last edited by plumsauce; 10-17-2010 at 07:02 AM.
    edgedirector.com
    exactstate.com

enom has paid dns.I personally recommend ENOM.

mtgsy.net have paid dns for 25 domains at £75 per year. No query limits. EU and US servers.

was wondering if anyone knows of any cheap (not free) DNS providers?
    Depends on what you call "cheap" - DNS is fairly important and not something to compromise on ...

but am wondering how long "one million queries" would last.
    Depends on how many requests you get
    As an *average* across all the domains on our DNS service: ~60,000 queries/month so a million queries would be ~16 months worth
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Quote Originally Posted by atmike View Post
    i use www.nettica.com since years, very reliable, 5 dns (4 us, 1 eu)...
    no limit in queriers, good price scheme, since 4 years i use them i had 100% availability
    others are www.zoneedit.com, www.easydns.com, www.everydns.net

Opinions and views on the providers you mentioned:

Nettica.com had some major outage recently. But overall, a great service.
    ZoneEdit.com - Used to be better... quality has suffered in recent years.
    EasyDNS.com - Awesome service, awesome service, awesome service.
    EveryDNS.net - Ever since they have been taken over by Dyn (same people of dyndns.org or dynect.com) they seem to be going down one every couple of months.

I monitor nettica as i use it rebranded for more than 200 domains and i didn't have a "major outage" since i use it (06).
    Mydomain.com had a major outage 2 months ago yes, but they are not nettica ;-)
    Easydns seems to be good to in serice as far as i can hear from others, but if you host more domains its getting quite expensive. The most luxury edition is ultradns.com, very expensive but best quality...

I don't know how that is possible.
    About a month ago there was a day of full downtime.
    http://www.dnsreviews.com/hosteddns/.../#comment-1494

Even a year ago they admitted they had outages.
    http://news.nettica.com/2009/05/ddos-attack.html

How they are admitting to outages, other users are seeing outages, and yet you are able to remain up the whole time would be a mystery.

UltraDNS is the most expensive and I love to resell them since there is so much room for profit margin. But their uptime is not something to brag about either.

You can buy 2 VPS's and use either cpanel dns or other dns services like powerdns and have it all for probaly $60/yr for unlimited domains. Not hard i have a few of these servers myself.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
    How they are admitting to outages, other users are seeing outages, and yet you are able to remain up the whole time would be a mystery.
    Maybe the poster is using them only as secondaries, in which case it still leaves his non-nettica services intact.

Perhaps they'll come back and clarify the statement.
    edgedirector.com
    exactstate.com

You could just get a low cost VPS and install cPanel DNS Only (Free). I dont know of any host that blocks this
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Join me on Technical.chat

Quote Originally Posted by plumsauce View Post
    Maybe the poster is using them only as secondaries, in which case it still leaves his non-nettica services intact.

Perhaps they'll come back and clarify the statement.
    i only use their 5 servers, as primary dns ...
    i watch their servers in resolving every 10mins, and i get a notification was not possible totally, so at least 1 of their servers always worked, thats why i seem not to recognised a downtime. i read on that time that they had a ddos attack, but their dns5 which is located in uk/europe always worked anyway so everything was fine.

reading BuffaloBills link to dnsreviews makes me a bit worried ...

i read through a lot of review websites in the last hour and i found out, that EVERY dns providers we mentioned above had downtimes in the last 12 months, even if the downtime was just a short time ... just have a look at blog.easydns.org and google the reviews of others...

so i think i have to use 2 different providers in combination to get a real 100% uptime (or lets say 99,9%/year)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast