Thread: big mess..

Question big mess..

Hello, ive recently re-sold a server to a client of mine.. me & the client noticed the datacenter didnt reload the server before they gave me the details, the client wanted a refund so i was going to get the server reloaded and send him his refund once i'd re-sold it once again. The os was reloaded and the client said he wanted to keep the server so i gave him the details and everything was fine. Now today hes saying the servers offline even though i just logged into it to install chkrootkit and APF firewall for him. Hes now saying he wants a refund and i said a refund is not possible as theres no problem with the server. Hes opened a issue on paypal and says hes going to discuss it with Visa.

what am i supposed to do? i believe i shouldnt refund the server as its working fine, but what do you think?

thanks
    terry

Re: big mess..

Originally posted by matrixnet
    ....i just logged into it to install chkrootkit and APF firewall for him....
    Did you login after this? Theres been a few times Ive locked myself out of a server...

You need to help him solve his problem. Not just say "It works on my side, so no refund". Obviously if he cant login, assuming that hes telling the truth and isnt just doing it for a refund, find out what the issue is even if its not with your service.

The customer who likes your service may tell 1 person, but a customer with a bad experience will tell 10...

yeah true about the customer bit, i logged in before he said he couldnt login or access server, his website loaded fine for me, but not for him, i said try ipconfig /dnsflush but he said he'd tried but yeah ill have to sort it out with him

thanks

Also, keep in mind that most likely any complaints sent to PayPal will in the end mean that you are forced to give him a refund.

Have you checked the server logs or history to see who else has logged in or who has made attempts to login along with their errors?

yeah, i logged into ssh and it said he'd logged into today

yeah, i logged into ssh and it said he'd logged into today
    have him do a tracert...have him access his site via ip instead of the domain name...

ive tried that, but he says it dont load. Im not sure if hes lieing or not? because he said he got Page cannot be displayed when trying to access WHM when i was logging in fine, and he apprently couldnt login via SSH either, when i was logged in

What does the following output.

Code:
    last | grep Mar
    Anything that isn't related to your IP or anything that is linked to him?

What about /var/log/messages

If you find stuff linked to him then use this as a means of proof that he was able to connect.

ive tried that, but he says it dont load. Im not sure if hes lieing or not? because he said he got Page cannot be displayed when trying to access WHM when i was logging in fine, and he apprently couldnt login via SSH either, when i was logged in
    Did he try a traceroute? Probably just a bad connection somewhere in the hops...

unixparse, hes changed the root so i cannot check
    lol so he must be able to connect.. well im going to get ISN net to transfer billing to him so i dont have to manage with him.

>Also, keep in mind that most likely any complaints sent to PayPal
    >will in the end mean that you are forced to give him a refund.

That has happened to me before and Paypal rejected the complaint as they do not deal with virtual goods they said. Unless you are getting a lot of Paypal disputes you are safe in regards to that...

Originally posted by thomas.smith
    >Also, keep in mind that most likely any complaints sent to PayPal
    >will in the end mean that you are forced to give him a refund.

That has happened to me before and Paypal rejected the complaint as they do not deal with virtual goods they said. Unless you are getting a lot of Paypal disputes you are safe in regards to that...
    Things must have changed then. I have only had one issue over a few dollars years ago and they required us to issue a refund with no room for dispute.

Well, first there was that dispute link on Paypal telling me I had to fax them anything. I faxed them some documents that prove that he got the login info. Then they just closed the dispute saying that they do not handle virtual goods. They do only take care of real goods where you have a shipping number to prove that the goods have been sent.

Just give him the refund and be done with him. It it really worth all this for a single dedicated server? Do you really want him as a customer?

Aaron
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net