Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Switched Metered Power Distribution With Port-Level Current Monitoring

Can anyone recommend PDU make/models that has port-level current monitoring (via SNMP would be great)? I was looking at APC PDUs and found little documentation regarding the level of current monitoring.

Also, would anyone happen to know the maximum number of user accounts I can have per PDU?

Liebert's new PDU's have the power monitoring per port and they are decently priced as well.

I took a look at Liebert and they look might good for the price, as you've mentioned.

Let me know if you have a good Liebert rep, else I can recommend one for you.

I believe the new APC 8000 series PDU's have this ability. Although, the switched models are not available until Nov. 2010.

http://www.apc.com/site/press_center...er-management/
    Thomas.chaffin@qtsdatacenters.com
    312-877-0453 (m) alt: 630-456-6948 (m)
    QTS Data Centers Chicago

For standard 20Amp 120V circuits Tripp Lite pdumh20atnet is fairly inexpensive. All in should cost you around $400 and it is a 1U device.
    Dan Buyer
    InfoRelay - Connected, Protected, Perfected.
    Equinix LAX & DC, One Wilshire, Wilshire Annex, MPT, VE, 1275K, Reston Exchange, Reston Equinix, 60 Hudson, NYC, and Chicago
    www.inforelay.com

Quote Originally Posted by dbuyer0 View Post
    For standard 20Amp 120V circuits Tripp Lite pdumh20atnet is fairly inexpensive. All in should cost you around $400 and it is a 1U device.
    +1 Great PDU

Not sure if they have port level monitoring and they only round to nearest whole amp for the whole device in the web control.

If you have any snmp scripts to work with these do please let me know
    █ Brian Kearney, Stealthy Hosting/Server Stadium Seattle, WA [AS23033] Skype: StealthyHosting
    Custom Dedicated Servers
    Low Cost Instant Dedicated Servers

█ Email: Sales@StealthyHosting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    Let me know if you have a good Liebert rep, else I can recommend one for you.
    Yes, shoot me a referral please. Thanks!

Looks like the Liebert MPH PDU does not support multiple users, it seems to have only 2 fixed accounts. I forgot to mention that having per-port ACL would be great.

Try the Raritan power bars. They're based off the dominion KVM switches I believe, aka you chain it through one of the 16/32/64 KVM ports.

From what I've been told, they do per-port power monitoring, plus then you have a very nice high end, multiuser KVM to play with as well .
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

Quote Originally Posted by dbuyer0 View Post
    Be mindful of the tripp lite PDUs if you need to give per port access to users. We recently found that the zero u tripp lite offering we purchased does not have multi-user support.
    Reliable Hosting Services, LLC
    Affordable Co-Location, Dedicated Servers and VPS Solutions
    http://www.reliablehostingservices.net
    (888) 693-8309

Quote Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
    I believe the new APC 8000 series PDU's have this ability. Although, the switched models are not available until Nov. 2010.

http://www.apc.com/site/press_center...er-management/
    I've talked to APC and they told me that the next-gen PDUs does not support outlet-level monitoring.

I've talked to APC and they told me that the next-gen PDUs does not support outlet-level monitoring.
    I spoke to APC about this last month and they advised me that this would be available by the end of 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by mfollett View Post
    I spoke to APC about this last month and they advised me that this would be available by the end of 2010.
    Yes, you are correct that it will be available in Nov 2010 but it will not have outlet-level monitoring, only per breaker bank.

Thank you for contacting APC's email support on 09/11/2010 01:22 PM. I would be happy to assist you.

Our current model PDU's do not have this ability to monitor current for each outlet.

The new PDU's that will be available in October - November timeframe will be able Monitor aggregate current consumption for each phase and/or each breaker bank via local display or remote network.

This is still not for each individual outlet though

I'll double check with APC then as I spoke to them in person, and they clearly stated that it would include monitoring per port.

Have you considered Server Technology? They have this type of solution, and have been doing Rack-level-Power for 27 years. It apears to be their core focus

Server Technology does it for some of the "big boys" cisco..facebook..etc Plus made in the USA. Cool products with temp sensors too!

servertech.com

Quote Originally Posted by mfollett View Post
    I'll double check with APC then as I spoke to them in person, and they clearly stated that it would include monitoring per port.
    I was told the same...
    Thomas.chaffin@qtsdatacenters.com
    312-877-0453 (m) alt: 630-456-6948 (m)
    QTS Data Centers Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by chaos12 View Post
    Have you considered Server Technology? They have this type of solution, and have been doing Rack-level-Power for 27 years. It apears to be their core focus
    Just curious, does anyone know what the approx price for a CW-32VD1-C20? I realize it does not do per outlet sensing but just curious of the pricing.

You may want to cont them directly. I believe you will also require the input cord.

I asked APC to clarify regarding the Outlet-level monitoring in gen2, now they are saying it will be available next year:

Response (John) - 09/15/2010 09:30 AM
    Thank you for the update.

I contacted one of our senior engineers about this feature, individual outlet current monitoring.

They said only a few of the new generation 2 switched rack PDU's will have this feature.

They will not be released until next year so I do not have any part numbers of the specific PDU's that will have this feature till then.

I would say to please contact us again in January for more information about this feature and exactly what models will support it.

Thank you for thinking of APC for your product needs and have a great day.

The Raritans are really great, but a bit pricey. I'm using them on 230v in the UK, they tell you per port power use (in amps and watts), per port power factor, accurate to a really small value. the Triplites I use in the US on 120v get the job done, but certainly are not as accurate (only displays to the nearest amp, and I'm really not confident that it's accurate to within 1/2 amp either) and don't do per outlet monitoring. So the raritan is great if you need what you say you're needing. If you'd like to save a ton of money, the Triplite is a solid option, does it's job, just not as "nice".
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

My understanding is that Raritan has only been doing rack level power for less than 2 yearsand still refining their overall Technology. Were you able to reach the folks at STI? I believe they will actually let you eval their units as well.............

I haven't had the chance to talk to STI yet. Raritan looks pretty impressive, esp. with their +-1% accuracy.

Does anyone know the difference between Raritan's DPXS20-20L and PX-5802T other than the port counts?

We just bought a bunch of Avocent PDU for specifically for being able to measure the output of each port. They are more expensive than APC's, but well worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast