* Brinkster Problems - Help Appreciated!

We have a client who has been trying to transfer a domain away from Brinkster for the last month, each time it falls flat on it's face. Brinkster are now saying that when you update the administration details on a domain, a new 60 day lock is put in place. to prevent transfers..... The client is not trying to change the registrant information, purely the administration details to aid in the transfer. Theres a 60 day period when you first register a domain, but I've never heard of a 60 day period when you update the administration details?

I've been in a couple of live chats, must admit was hidding as a potential customer a few times , but it was the only way to find out the exact information as a potential customer vs new customer. During the chats they simply said it was ICANN policy, when you update the administration details a new 60 day lock is put in place, but could only provide the ICANN website link, and not specific documentation which shows it.

It gets worse...
    When I asked them if I only wanted the administration contact updated, they stated "We update all of them when we update the contact information. So therefore it would be considered a change of ownership". So they would even change the registrant information to the new administration contact? So in theory, they are transferring ownership to a possible third party without the customers permission, if the customer only requests the administration details to be updated? wow.. scary..

I asked for a supervisor to call, and was told that they would not make international calls, and to try and catch a supervisor in live chat tomorrow.

Am I going mad or am I missing something?
    Last edited by AventureRichard; 11-23-2006 at 06:46 AM. Reason: New Information
    Richard - Aventure United Kingdom
    Managed Servers, Email Marketing, CPanel Shared/Reseller Accounts
    http://www.aventurehost.com - http://www.twitter.com/aventure

Sounds eerily familiar.

Go Daddy and its sister company Wild West Domains impose that 60-day transfer
    restriction to both its end-users and resellers whenever any fields under registrant
    are changed.

Is this brinkster.com being referred to? I found this on their legal fine prints:

http://www.brinkster.com/AboutUs/TOSShared.aspx

2.03 Domain Names may be registered by Brinkster on your behalf through a variety of Domain Name Registration services (each a "Registrar"). Each Registrar has its own terms and conditions concerning the registration and maintenance of Domain Names and you agree to be bound thereby.
    If you do a WHOIS on your domain name and it shows either Go Daddy or Wild West
    Domains as the registrar, that explains the 60-day thing.

Thanks for that Dave, Yep, was registered through wildwestdomains.com by brinkster.com
    So it's not really an ICANN policy, is it just GD or WW?

Just seen our customers domain, and brinkster have removed our customer as the registrant, and given us ownership of the domain. Surely this could run into problems in certain situations?
    Richard - Aventure United Kingdom
    Managed Servers, Email Marketing, CPanel Shared/Reseller Accounts
    http://www.aventurehost.com - http://www.twitter.com/aventure

It's GD/WWD policy only. Crazy, we all know, but it's a fact of life if you register your domains at GD or WWD or BlueRazor, or any GD Reseller (which I guess Brinkster is).

So when did you last change any tiny detail of your Registrant Info. Count 60-61 days from then.
    Signature Under Construction.

Quote Originally Posted by AventureRichard
    Thanks for that Dave, Yep, was registered through wildwestdomains.com by brinkster.com
    So it's not really an ICANN policy, is it just GD or WW?

Just seen our customers domain, and brinkster have removed our customer as the registrant, and given us ownership of the domain. Surely this could run into problems in certain situations?
    Yup.

In certain situations, yup. I'm sure you can handle it, but just post here if you need
    feedback.

I was honestly taken aback at first because brinkster's WHOIS shows their domain
    name is with Dotster. But it's possible they're letting their domain name stay with
    Dotster for the time being while reselling for WWD at the same time.

Who knows?

Hello,

To be more exact on how the restrictions work with the domain names and what is deemed to the restriction. If you change a name or business name on the domain. Then you are going to be affected by the 60 day waiting period.

However, updating the address and the email address will not apply you to the waiting period.

Hope this clears up some confusion!

BrinksterSupport, after 4 years, I would assume the domain has either transferred or renewed, may even deleted.

Dragging up a 4 year old thread is a little confusing, however, as the domain name was registered by WWD it was all cleared up.
    NetEarth One
    ICANN Accredited Registrar, https://reseller.netearthone.com
    Full UK support, 7 days a week 365 days a year!

Exclamation No one gets any help from wild west domains!!

Quote Originally Posted by netearth View Post
    BrinksterSupport, after 4 years, I would assume the domain has either transferred or renewed, may even deleted.

Dragging up a 4 year old thread is a little confusing, however, as the domain name was registered by WWD it was all cleared up.
    Uh...ok...dragging up a 4-yr-old thread. But...very valid even today.

I've been trying for the past 2 weeks to transfer a domain for a client - away from a host I'm not familiar with nor comfortable with - to one I've worked with for years and trust (namely = bluehost - the trustworthy people).

Turns out that the culprit previous host (tailor brands - which works with wild west domains as their domain registrar system) - will NOT release the domain for transfer.

I've transferred numerous domains in the past - so I am very familiar with the process. Even so, I still pay close attention to the documentation on both the new host as well as previous host before I begin and throughout the process, just to make sure - and I'm aware that they may very well change their procedures at any time as well.

Every time I place official request at bluehost for the transfer (after of course first intercepting the newly updated transfer authorization code from tailor brands domain dashboard - i.e. wild west) - then let it go for a complete 7 days - ultimately get notification from bluehost that the transfer request has timed out and wild west still rejecting the transfer request.

Ended up purchasing for the client an alternative domain (as the first was a .com - so fortunately same domain was available in .net) - and luckily the website had not yet been developed, and his bizcards and other important marketing materials not yet established with website URL and email addresses - so just set up everything new at bluehost (who I trust immensely - NEVER had any troubles with bluehost -and they have fantastic support services!!)

Soo...just a simple warning and message of condolences to all who ever have anything registered with Godaddy, WildWest domains, or tailor brands (or anyone else who deals with wild west domains) - you will never get free of them!!! Condolences to all!!

Quote Originally Posted by balqees View Post
    Uh...ok...dragging up a 4-yr-old thread.
    12 years since the last post, but who's counting.
    Every time I place official request at bluehost for the transfer (after of course first intercepting the newly updated transfer authorization code from tailor brands domain dashboard - i.e. wild west) - then let it go for a complete 7 days - ultimately get notification from bluehost that the transfer request has timed out and wild west still rejecting the transfer request.
    Ask why?
    Your one stop shop for decentralization