Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* Why do people think CloudFlare will stop DDoS attacks?

Hello,

Over the last few weeks I have been seeing more and more people start to recommend CloudFlare for the prevention of DDoS attacks, Why is this?
      0 Not allowed!

Cause people have no money for real DDOS protection or they don't want to spend big bucks. So any small glimmer of hope is worth clinging to .. for them
      0 Not allowed!

because they do.. until they realize it's your site being hit and change the A record so all traffic goes directly to you
      0 Not allowed!

I used cloud flare to make my dns load faster for my site, didn't work... Changed my computers DNS to google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and it loaded my site instantly after a second of updating it, but if cloud flare doesn't speed up the load time then it sure doesn't stop ddosing...
      0 Not allowed!

Post CloudFlare and DDoS

Most of the time I see this happen because someone mistakenly thinks we are a DDoS service & mentions it on board. When it comes to an attack, unfortunately, people rush to find a quick fix to the problem.

There are some things that we do that can help with smaller attacks & there are some things in the threat control panel you can do as well. But a monster attack will most certainly cause us to go direct to a site...
      0 Not allowed!

The nature of the service alone allows traffic to be spread across various POPs, which can help isolate a DDoS attack pretty well. This alone doesn't do much to help with larger attacks (for that, you'll need other mitigation methods), but I can see CloudFlare being useful for smaller attacks.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by damoncloudflare View Post
    There are some things that we do that can help with smaller attacks & there are some things in the threat control panel you can do as well. But a monster attack will most certainly cause us to go direct to a site...

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    The nature of the service alone allows traffic to be spread across various POPs, which can help isolate a DDoS attack pretty well. This alone doesn't do much to help with larger attacks (for that, you'll need other mitigation methods), but I can see CloudFlare being useful for smaller attacks.
    How small are we talking?

Also if all of this is true why isnt their any information on their site regarding this Anti-DDoS...
      0 Not allowed!

Post CloudFlare and DDoS

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    Good summary We do not position ourselves as a DDoS solution at all.
      0 Not allowed!

Post CloudFlare and DDoS

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    How small are we talking?

Also if all of this is true why isnt their any information on their site regarding this Anti-DDoS...
    Because we don't want to be looked at as a DDoS solution. Generally speaking, people that are having a DDoS look for a quick fix & we do not guarantee that we will stop an attack. We will most certainly go direct to a server when the attack is large & starts to impact other customers.
      0 Not allowed!

Post Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    because they do.. until they realize it's your site being hit and change the A record so all traffic goes directly to you
    Just a quick note that we don't make any DNS changes. We simply remove the CloudFlare proxy for the domain(s) impacted.
      0 Not allowed!

that's ... pretty much a dns change isn't it
      0 Not allowed!

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    that's ... pretty much a dns change isn't it
    Not really. We're still resolving the DNS & simply removing our proxy on the DNS entry. Probably somewhat of a semantics thing...
      0 Not allowed!

CloudFlare doesn't work well on high-end DDoS attacks (Ex: 100mbit+), but works fine when script kiddies attempt to take your website(s) offline.

Most script kiddies have a tool which they refer to as a "Booter". A Booter, in logical terms, is a program which sends a command to multiple hacked servers. These hacked servers use their connection to attack your website's IP Address.

When your site is behind CloudFlare, the hacked servers attack CloudFlare, instead of your website. CloudFlare isn't really made for DDoS protection, BUT it is able to filter these small attacks much better than your average web host.

To sum this post up: Yes, CloudFlare is able to filter small DDoS attacks, but not large ones. If you are experiencing DDoS attacks, it's worth trying CloudFlare (It's free), but KEEP IM MIND, that if the script kiddie trying to take your website offline attacks your NON-CLOUDFLARE IP Address, your site will go offline. (Note: Your Non-CloudFlare IP is the IP you had before you switched to CloudFlare's DNS servers).
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Appdeveloper View Post
    CloudFlare doesn't work well on high-end DDoS attacks (Ex: 100mbit+), but works fine when script kiddies attempt to take your website(s) offline.
    100mbit+? More like 2000mbit+ or even higher.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by misspink View Post
    If you're getting a constant 100Mbit+ DDoS Attack, I believe CloudFlare may kick you off (on the free version). The Pro version may be different.
      0 Not allowed!

If you're getting a constant 100Mbit+ DDoS Attack, I believe CloudFlare may kick you off (on the free version). The Pro version may be different.
    how do they know you are the target with a udp attack? I doubt each person gets a dedicated ip.
      0 Not allowed!

100Mb is some 32.85 TB... I highly doubt 2000+...
      0 Not allowed!

100Mb is some 32.85 TB... I highly doubt 2000+...
    see above.
      0 Not allowed!

how do they know you are the target with a udp attack? I doubt each person gets a dedicated ip.
    I honestly have no idea. I don't believe they can if they have 100+ websites on one IP address, and one of them are under an attack. Also, kicking off the website won't mean the DDoS won't continue against them.
      0 Not allowed!

Appdeveloper, the "booters" you are talking about all use cloudflare and I'm sure they regularly get attacks.
      0 Not allowed!

Appdeveloper, the "booters" you are talking about all use cloudflare and I'm sure they regularly get attacks.
    Actually, I'm well aware of this. Most web-based booters (Booters which requires no downloading, just going to a webpage and logging in) are indeed taking advantage of CloudFlare. Yes, they probably do get quite a lot of DDoS attacks from their competitors.
      0 Not allowed!

Come on guys, Lets not turn this into a pissing contest...
      0 Not allowed!

What worries me more is why they aren't getting kicked off.

Come on guys, Lets not turn this into a pissing contest...
    ?
      0 Not allowed!

What worries me more is why they aren't getting kicked off.
    Not only that, and their hosting and domain suspended, too. Most of them use $3/month "Offshore" Hosting in the Netherlands, or Germany (Which has more strict cybercrime laws then USA...).
      0 Not allowed!

Not only that, and their hosting and domain suspended, too. Most of them use $3/month "Offshore" Hosting in the Netherlands, or Germany (Which has more strict cybercrime laws then USA...).
    Yes, rofl. "$4 a month unlimited reseller location germany offshore everything allowed bro!!!"
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast