SSL and shared hosting at UK2

I needed a shared hosting account in Europe with an SSL certificate on one .com domain. I read some good things about UK2 on this forum and found out that they have a MOREUK2 service for an additional 50 pounds that gives you unlimited free SSL certificates. Before I signed up I asked them if this also applied to the shared hosting account and they wrote back:

"I have just checked this for you, on a shared hosting package, you can only have one IP address therefore you can only have one SSL certificate at any one time."

That was fine for me, so I signed up for a business account and the MOREUK2 package for a total of about 140 UK pounds.

So far I've had quite a bad experience. Response to my support questions is slow (definitely not 24/7), I can't access my cPanel and I often get errors and empty pages when logging into their admin pages.

I've tried to manage 'SSL certificates' in the admin area but this keeps timing out. So I created a support ticket about this and this is what they wrote back today:

"Due to technical limitations, we cannot provide secure webspace on our shared servers (ordinary webspace). You may wish to consider our range of Dedicated servers ..."

WHAT? They just told me 2 days ago that it was possible and based on this information I signed up and gave them 140 pounds!! Can they do this?

Give them a call and say that you are existing and quite old their customers.
    Maybe they have changes their policy, but anyway it must be for "NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY" (as most of web hosting companies do)
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

Hi

thety should be able to give you a SSL Certificate on your domain name for less than £50 a year, say you will cancel and move to another host, am sure they will do something to try and keep you if your custom is enough value to them
    The Hosting Heroes Ltd - over 20 years in the UK hosting industry.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers | VPS Reseller for WHMCS
    www.thehostingheroes.com

thety should be able to give you a SSL Certificate on your domain name for less than £50 a year, say you will cancel and move to another host, am sure they will do something to try and keep you if your custom is enough value to them
    bluff is not annoption here once it helps and then you have a a risk to be market in their DB.
    I think that not really good look-out.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfstad View Post
    I needed a shared hosting account in Europe with an SSL certificate on one .com domain. I read some good things about UK2 on this forum and found out that they have a MOREUK2 service for an additional 50 pounds that gives you unlimited free SSL certificates. Before I signed up I asked them if this also applied to the shared hosting account and they wrote back:

"I have just checked this for you, on a shared hosting package, you can only have one IP address therefore you can only have one SSL certificate at any one time."

That was fine for me, so I signed up for a business account and the MOREUK2 package for a total of about 140 UK pounds.

So far I've had quite a bad experience. Response to my support questions is slow (definitely not 24/7), I can't access my cPanel and I often get errors and empty pages when logging into their admin pages.

I've tried to manage 'SSL certificates' in the admin area but this keeps timing out. So I created a support ticket about this and this is what they wrote back today:

"Due to technical limitations, we cannot provide secure webspace on our shared servers (ordinary webspace). You may wish to consider our range of Dedicated servers ..."

WHAT? They just told me 2 days ago that it was possible and based on this information I signed up and gave them 140 pounds!! Can they do this?

Check if they have a money-back guarantee and leave, if you have any chat-and-or-email transcripts of your conversation you may use this information to unbind your contract and receive your money back.

The technical part of it; it is possible to have SSL on shared-hosting accounts but you would be in need of a dedicated IP for each SSL-certificate.

Wish you all the best in solving this issue.
    » cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    »
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

Just to set it straight.

Yes, as a moreUK2 member you get unlimited SSL's. If you are on cpanel it works out of the box too. We will install your SSL certs for you - feel free to mail me your request directly, and I will have it taken care of asap.

Regarding support. Yes, it is 24/7 - and actually you can ask for a callback as a moreUK2 member. We will call you and talk you through what ever issues you encounter.

If this does not meet your expectations, let me know and I will be sure to give you a full refund.

Best,
    Ditlev
    Last edited by eming; 01-31-2008 at 07:43 AM.
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

Angry Major problems with UK2

I still have major problems with UK2. It took me several weeks to get my domain transferred and set up the SSL certificate. None of the functions in the admin area worked until repeated contact with the support desk for each thing. The website ran okay for several days, but today my website is down. I can't access cPanel or FTP.

I can't believe how bad the customer support is. The website says 24/7 customer support, but I can only call them during weekdays from 9am to 11pm. The phone numbers don't work internationally so I am dependent on the callback service (for which I pay extra), but this only works from 9am to 5pm and it takes them up to 3 days to call me back. The ticket system is supposed to be 24/7, but noone ever gets back to me until the next workday.

I had looked for a long time for a good host in Europe and based on some nice posts about UK2 on this forum I signed up for an account. This has been a huge disappointment and a waste of time. I've even been billed twice for the domain transfer.

I am thinking of asking my money back, but this will mean the site will be down for another few days as I transfer the site to another host. The site is for a customer of me and this has already been a big disaster. Can anyone advice any better hosts in Europe? (Apache, multiple domains, PHP, mySQL, similar prices as UK2)
    Last edited by wolfstad; 02-24-2008 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfstad View Post
    I am thinking of asking my money back, but this will mean the site will be down for another few days as I transfer the site to another host. The site is for a customer of me and this has already been a big disaster. Can anyone advice any better hosts in Europe? (Apache, multiple domains, PHP, mySQL, similar prices as UK2)
    Any particular reason to stick with uk host? Cause i am sure a website will load equally fast if it were hosted on a reliable US based host ? Unless you want a host who you can give a call if needed. But than again when really needed, no one comes through to pick up the phone
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !

My client wants their website in Europe, but it doesn't have to be in the UK.

I'm in Europe and I must say that the site with UK2 (when it was working) has been quite a bit faster than my sites with US hosts.

you might want to check out http://www.unitedhosting.co.uk
    Charles

Have had no issues with my dedi server in UK2

Quote Originally Posted by Energizer Bunny View Post
    i am sure a website will load equally fast if it were hosted on a reliable US based host ?
    While websites can sometimes load equally fast on a US-based host, there is a very discernable speed difference when it comes to FTP and downloading files.

In my experience, FTP directory switching is almost always significantly faster with a UK host if you're in the UK yourself -- much shorter pause between clicking a folder and the folder actually opening. It's more like viewing folders over a local network.

File downloading also usually takes a big hit. While most US hosts will push 300-600kB/s to the UK, pretty much any UK host will happily push 2000kB/s and beyond, including UK2. So of course, if you're a download site targeting UK people you'd want to be hosted in the UK.

I realise neither of these are likely to be particular relevant to the OP, but I'm just posting this as a general FYI. As someone in the UK who has dealt with a very wide range of US hosts, I'm fairly confident in my assertions.

Other concerns also exist such as businesses wanting their site hosted on a server that has to adhere to local laws rather than foreign (US) laws, and certain SEO benefits. Hobbyist sites are obviously rarely concerned about this, but for a serious business it's simply not up for discussion -- the site will be hosted in the UK.