Thread: Need Help..

Need Help..

Hi,
    I'm using Resellerscene as my reseller account at present for last 6 months and am very much satisfied with the service and customer support. Thanks for all.

Now I'm getting a new client who requires 500 GB of Disk Space.. I couldn't decide what to do with that client. Please suggest me some solution..

If your client really needs 500GB of diskspace you better look at Dedicated servers; or maybe a VPS which has access to a NAS (depending on the type of site).

First of all, ask your client if he actually needs 500GB space? If so, for what?

You're likely going to have to direct him to a dedicated server if he actually does indeed expect 500GB of raw disk space on a shared plan. It just isn't possible.

The whole website deals with processing of online student applications.. So there will be a lot of uploads in the form of Images or documents. Each student has approx of 20 such kind of documents. The client is expecting about 5000 students for first year. I hope the above information is sufficient and let me know if there is no clarity..

And if the solution is only going to dedicated servers or VPS.. Please suggest me some good dedicated servers or VPS providers..
    Last edited by karthikreddy; 10-09-2009 at 07:13 AM.

I would recommend Softlayer for a dedicated server.
    U.S.A. High Resource allocation global cloud hosting serving 310,000 clients since 2008 | Offering both cPanel & DirectAdmin
    WebsitePlex.com | Instant Activation | Alpha, Master, Reseller & Cloud Hosting
    Recurring Affiliate Program Pays 20% of total revenue for life | 30 Day Trial

Quote Originally Posted by karthikreddy View Post
    The whole website deals with processing of online student applications.. So there will be a lot of uploads in the form of Images or documents. Each student has approx of 20 such kind of documents. The client is expecting about 5000 students for first year. I hope the above information is sufficient and let me know if there is no clarity..

And if the solution is only going to dedicated servers or VPS.. Please suggest me some good dedicated servers or VPS providers..

I think that if you store this type of information you also need to look into which security levels your server needs to have; this is something i believe is not suitable for shared-hosting but rather for dedicated servers.

In general these type of sites have a peak at the start of the school semesters as students need to fill this in; so you may need a very powerful server at only a few weeks and lower hardware requirements in other parts of the year; you really have to look at your customers needs for this.

You may look at some kind of cloud hosting (i.e. softlayer) where you can change your needs on demand. If you however need a more managed solution you could also buy this from one of their resellers.

As said; i think you have to do a bit more homework on the implications of storing student details and look into several privacy laws. i.e. if these are European students you may not be allowed to store this on a USA based server.

I know this post probably is going to make you have more questions but i believe it is important to give your customers a good advise and not just sell them whatever works but also what will make them happy in the future.

Do the search for the VPS reselling. Ask your head company - probably they will offer you some kind solution with profit for you
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

the best you can do is to offer VPS or dedicated. If they are asking form more storage, is because they will need to make a special installation.

<snipped>
    Last edited by ldcdc; 10-13-2009 at 01:36 PM.

I would go for a dedicated server solution as a project like this. Student server apps are used much on exam cycles and also need to consider external backup solutions like R1.

I would recommend a managed dedicated server, This would allow them to use it constantly without worrying the webhost.
    NationhostUK - International Hosting Provider
    UK, US & Asia based servers - Shared, VPS & Dedi
    LancasterSecure - Secure Online Solutions
    www.lancastersecure.co.uk - 01934 310013