3ukman Guest
    I just recently started with godaddy shared Windows Hosting.
    Now they have told me that since 2 weeks or so they have started providing FTP SECURE ( FTP over SSL ) access to the hosting server/directory, which fair enough is acceptable way of uploading files.
    I was really astonished though and still cant believe it that they started offering FTPS only 2 weeks ago. ?
    The support guy told me they GODADDY was up for 10 years and they have thousands of customers. He did say that most Windows Shared Hosting customers are indeed , small businesses but yet that does not justify letting them access their web sites insecurely.
    I am still completely shocked by this. I went to GODADDY after I tried a few other “hosting companies” that sucked big time. Also godaddy have amazing offering - domain , management , CMS Systems , lots of tools.
    So just wondering about the Windows hosting picture out there ...

Im not to satisfied with godaddy as i was a customer from them as a reseller before i got my own server's but i do no there not secure at all they are very ez to take offline with ddos attack and people can upload shell's and take over the server so in my eyes go daddy sucks!>

Godaddy does offer a wide variety of products and features as well so it is a bit shocking that this isn't an option for their windows hosting. However it's good to see it's been done now, good luck and keep us updated on how it goes.
    Cheers

pardon my ignorance, but is sFTP a norm nowadays? I've never figured out how to distinguish secure and the good ol FTP since filezilla determines the protocol automatically, anyone care to explain?

Hi 3ukman,
    You'll find that although most hosts provide sFTP its not used by default by most clients. Standard insecure FTP is the method set by default within FTP Programs as pointed out by Zsev. The same can be said for Email and for Control Panel Access such as cPanel. Most hosts provide the ability to access all of these securely and a very small percentage actually utilise the secure access. You're right though in saying that all hosts should at least provide the ability to access FTP Securely.

Godaddy playing catch up to the little guys, cute Most cPanel providers will also provide FTP securely weather they know it or not. Secure FTP is something I don't even utilize myself honestly except on very few occurrences.

Heck, I don't even use FTP anymore. I like SCP instead...
    And from experiences from working with clients that use GoDaddy, their Web Hosting is heinous!

Heck, I don't even use FTP anymore. I like SCP instead...
    Why SCP versus SFTP? My understanding is that SFTP is more robust.

I just got done getting another domain through them.Should have gone with my new host but i have to learn the hard way.

Why SCP versus SFTP? My understanding is that SFTP is more robust.
    I use SCP is for copying files, and SSH for all other file-related functions (chown, chmod...)

I wish more providers at least would offer SFTP/SCP. Granted if they don't wish to allow SSH they could simply enable RSSH for those users..

FTPS or even SFTP are very important for business web site owners or in fact just about any type of website owner.
    If you are uploading anything that is of any importance don't use regular FTP.

Halloween0 Guest
    Personally I always use SFTP or SCP, FTP is an outdated protocol even though it's still widely used.

yup, i always use SFTP to upload/download from my own servers and FTPS if possible on external servers that I dont run. When transfering between my servers though i always use SCP.
    Ive always made sure that things like IMAP/POP, webmail, control panel and FTP-type access were always available via SSL/TLS also.

They may have had issues with FTPS, since it requires very specific firewall rules to be modified, whereas SFTP only requires an existing SSH account. But, good to see that GD is moving right along.

I wish more providers at least would offer SFTP/SCP. Granted if they don't wish to allow SSH they could simply enable RSSH for those users..
    From what I've experienced, even without shell access you can still SFTP to your account as long as the SSH port is accessible. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure this works on all servers with SSH running.

GoDaddy does not seem to concentrate too much on their Windows hosting as opposed to their Linux hosting.

From what I've experienced, even without shell access you can still SFTP to your account as long as the SSH port is accessible. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure this works on all servers with SSH running.
    Not only does the server need SSH, your login needs to be allowed to use it.., which most providers wont because they don't want you to be able to ssh in and bring up a shell..

tommyinnn Guest
    Go Daddy is by far the worst hosts, they are great for domain registration!