Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    for those people that have home servers that are for the web you obviously need a good ISP that offers plenty of bandwidth... well im looking for a good ISP because 250 GB month with comcast wont cut it....anyone know any better ISP's that offer more bandwidth? than 250 GB a month?

If your using more than 250GB on a residentail line, then your just being silly.
    Just colocate a box with a datacenter instead of wasting your money on business connection, + power costs, + AC costs.

Justin M Guest
    Comcast offers business internet if you need it, but it would be far better for you to colocate a server or two.

i was going to get comcast business plan but i dont know how much bandwidth they offer...

anyone else?

There is no cap on their business/commercial plan.

You should just colocate your server. The quality you'll receive at a datacenter will be much better than the quality you'll receive from hosting your server at home. It might be slightly cheaper to colocate but quality is definitely better.

I too believe that colocation is the way for you as you will be assured that your servers are in hands of professionals and backed up by quality connectivity, Cooling and power supply.

I to would agree we every body. Residential internet just isn't good enough. What you need is a T1 and up connection for best hosting. You can normally hook a t1 connection up to residential but it can cost you big. So I would suggest colocate. It would be much cheaper. Good luck

As most others have said, going through a data center would be much better and would make you look a lot more professional.

Another vote for colocation. They already have the cooling, connections and redundancy.

how much is it for colocation....what does colocation even mean? and what are the monthly prices?

There is no cap on their business/commercial plan.
    for comcast? really? how do you know just wondering?

for those people that have home servers that are for the web you obviously need a good ISP that offers plenty of bandwidth... well im looking for a good ISP because 250 GB month with comcast wont cut it....anyone know any better ISP's that offer more bandwidth? than 250 GB a month?
    When I had my home server before I sent it to a collocation, I used Optimum Online. Its going to be around $75 dollars a month with a business plan. Check if its available in your area.

question...why did you send it to a collocation...for what reason?

for comcast? really? how do you know just wondering?
    Because I am a Comcast customer. I asked them a lot of questions about the cap because it was a concern for a household with several people. I was also worried about the future, because the future will call for a lot more bandwidth. I also asked them for instance how am I going to monitor my PS3 usage, etc. They straightforward informed me that commercial/business doesn't have a cap. The frustrating thing is that when I asked for a price quote, they said no because I'm not a "business agent."

wow thats dumb that they didnt give you a price....but whatever...but thxs alot! did you at least order the business plan?

No, I haven't purchased it. They wouldn't even give me a quote.

mhm i wodner how much extra dollars it is from residential plan to business

question...why did you send it to a collocation...for what reason?
    I started a web hosting company. I can't run that on a residential line.

so its worth it getting a collocation instead of running it at home with a ISP business plan?

I hear in some places in the states you can get fiber. So just get yourself a lower end OC connection to begin with and go from there. Not sure how much OC3 would cost in the states, or even a fractional T3.
    Though collocation may be cheaper and better performance as far as connection goes (redundant links etc), really depends on what your needs are. Home is always more convenient as far as backups and such go. 1 server is not what is going to kill your power bill, nor your cooling bill, its when you have 10+ servers it will start to make a difference. A typical kitchen probably has more wattage/hour worth of lights then a single server. (ex: 4 100w light bulbs, is well, 400w/hour while a server will use about that)
    I have a couple home servers and two workstations and my parents have not complained so far as far as electric bill goes. They are private LAN servers though, I don't have the connection to actually host at home.

so its worth it getting a collocation instead of running it at home with a ISP business plan?
    In most cases yes, but check into collocation costs and compare for yourself. For 1 server I would not even bother to factor in your hydro costs but if you plan to grow you may want to just go straight to collocation. The biggest thing is the connection. A data center will be able to offer you a good connection for cheaper.

In most cases yes, but check into collocation costs and compare for yourself. For 1 server I would not even bother to factor in your hydro costs but if you plan to grow you may want to just go straight to collocation. The biggest thing is the connection. A data center will be able to offer you a good connection for cheaper.
    thxs for the info...ill look in collocation now...do you know any good ones by any chance?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast