Server Matrix Bad or Standard Practice?

I ordered 8 IP addresses from server matrix.It took them about a week to give me these IP addresses and then when they finally did, one of them was a .255 address. Is this standard practice? In my view, I should not have to pay for an unusable IP address. In their view, they can just keep closing my tickets and that is fine with them. So, is assigning a .255 address standard practice?

What is your subnet mask? Depending on the subnetting, .255 could be a perfectly usable address.

No it couldn't. It's the last possible number....no matter how the class is divided. 255 is ALWAYS a broadcast. In any case, you should have 1 broadcast(last) and one network(first ip). It's standard, and can be used to your advantage. How? Well...if you need to broadcast soemthing...use the last one, if you need to connect two networks, use the first one.

You probally have 2 unusable IPs. All subnets have the broadcast and network...correct me if I am wrong...its been a few months since Cisco class.

We set them up like this.
    network .1
    broadcast .255
    Dustin

Remember, a subnet can consists of more then a single /24 (eg. a /23) which would result in two "class c's" in the subnet. That being said, in the example of 60.10.0.0/23 you would see the following usable IP's (depending on the dividing of course, whether it's running VRRP/HSRP, etc.):

60.10.0.0 - Network
    60.10.0.1 - Gateway
    60.10.0.2 - 60.10.1.254 - usable IP's
    60.10.1.255 - Broadcast

Real question is, whats your subnet mask? That'll help you determine. While a /23 is definatly less elegant, and you'll be seeing a lot more network broadcasts, it does simplify management, and helps avoid the "oh, well that subnet is out of IP space, if you need more IP's, we'll have to move your server to a new block, can you'll have to start renumbering immediatly" stories that I'd imagine everyone dreads.
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

Originally posted by mp3LM
    No it couldn't. It's the last possible number....no matter how the class is divided. 255 is ALWAYS a broadcast. In any case, you should have 1 broadcast(last) and one network(first ip). It's standard, and can be used to your advantage. How? Well...if you need to broadcast soemthing...use the last one, if you need to connect two networks, use the first one.
    No it's not. It's depends on subnet mask - only if it's /24 (or more) you are correct.

An IP ending in .255 is not necessarily unusable, it really depends on what subnet you are in.

If you're above a /24 there is a possibility that it is usable.

Do an ifconfig from a shell prompt to find our your current subnet, that should apply to your new IP's too.

Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

SM give me all IP address on the same day when they finish setup. remeber when they said 8 ip. it usually only 5 ip is useable just like Layeredtech said 8 but they have a mark and say 5ip is useable.

Yeah with SM, Layered Tech and Tomsyer, you get 5 useable always