We need a slashdot-style moderation system

We need a slashdot-style moderation system where people retain "karma" of some sort based on their posts. That way we could moderate people as "troll", "idiot", "spammer", "complete newbie" and have them automatically filtered. (Of course, we'd have to create a "Newbie forum" where newbies weren't filtered... it's not their fault so we shouldn't block them completely.)

And these moderation tags should appear right under their names, next to (or in place of?) the titles, so that people can immediately see "oh, he's just a troll, let's ignore his crazy post", or "hmm, that new web hosting company is run by a complete newbie, let's move on...".

</rant>
    Dr. Colin Percival, FreeBSD Security Officer
    Online backups for the truly paranoid: http://www.tarsnap.com/

What if you were *formerly* an idiot?
    Would you still be listed in the idiot group?
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

I think that once you make enough non-idiotic comments (say, 2570, perhaps?) you'd have said tag removed.
    Dr. Colin Percival, FreeBSD Security Officer
    Online backups for the truly paranoid: http://www.tarsnap.com/

Originally posted by cperciva
    I think that once you make enough non-idiotic comments (say, 2570, perhaps?) you'd have said tag removed.
    Just give me a simple, impossible, mission; why don't you?

There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

For once, I agree with cperciva.

Who's going to add it to vbulletin?

Is there a mod?
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

yeah, there are several user rating/karma mods out there for vB

I don't necessarily agree with the proposed use though. This is a knowledge-sharing forum... singling out the "idiots" would almost defeat the purpose. If a few so-called hosting experts wanna get together and chat about new industry secrets, do it on Instant Messenger.

I'm somewhat of an elitist myself, and I hate when people ask questions that can easily be answered with a quick search...but other than that, we all start out somewhere.
    "Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did."
    - Mark Twain