Question ? phpBB2 or vBulletin

ok , I have phpBB2 on the site now. but I also have vBulletin. Is there a way i can transfer all my members and topics from phpBB2 to vBulletin ?

probably =/ as lnog as that other one uses mysql.... =\

Originally posted by dreamrae.com
    probably =/ as lnog as that other one uses mysql.... =\
    both uses mysql but how to do this ? has this been done before ?

That are suitable import scripts available in the vBulletin members area.

Lats...
    Lats...

Both have converters to go form one to the other.

Has anyone used both and could answer the following:

What advantages does vBulletin have over the latest phpbb version in terms of creating a successful forum?

I personally would use invision board, which can be found at Http://www.invisionboard.com/

Though to actually answer your question, I believe that VBulletin has more advanced features than phpBB, and is certainly more recognised, therefore your members may find it easier to use.
    Mark Carruth

vbulletin is the best forum software on the market right now for it's price range. When looking at it's competitors (UBB, Invision, YaBB, PhpBB2, Ikonboard) it stands out above the rest. On the other hand, if you can't afford $85 a month then PhpBB2 does come in a close second... IMO though, if anyone is serious about starting up forums, they should start with vbulletin from the start, cause if your forums get big, importing posts can be tricky. This is why I paid $85 for vbulletin on my site even though I really didn't have the money and i'm glad I did it now cause PhpBB is newbish

vB is very popular. I like it because I'm used to its interface. I don't like the code though. This will hopefully change in vB3.
    Ahmad Alhashemi
    PHP, Apache, C, Python, Perl, SQL
    18 related BrainBench certificates

I was digging around the phpBB forums and I came across a link to over here, whod a thought:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...5&pagenumber=1

Originally posted by BattleForums
    cause PhpBB is newbish
    how so?

are you talking capacity?

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=11417

*waves to ffeingol*

Dont you hang around WHT and Ars also?

damm , maybe i should stay with my phpBB2

I reckon the new PHP & MySQL version of YaBB looks very nice.
    Grab it at www.yabb.info

Also phpbb is a good forum if you know how to do great mods to it. It can also handle alot of traffic if your worried about that, just check out the forum at www.americasarmy.com/forum/

I really don't like yabb

Acronym BOY,

Yep, I hang around here. I just do not get into phpBB vs. VBul discussions. If you want info on what phpBB can/can't do or traffic levels etc. I'd be happy to discuss that.

Frank
    Umbra Hosting
    cPanel | Softaculous | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    UmbraHosting.com

Originally posted by ffeingol
    If you want info on what phpBB can/can't do or traffic levels etc. I'd be happy to discuss that.

Frank
    I've narrowed my decision down to 3 boards
    vBulletin
    Invision Board
    phpbb

Whether we have to pay or not isn't an issue. We simply want to make an educated decision based on feedback from those experienced with these boards.

We will be hosting the board on a server at RackSpace with an allotted 30GB of bandwidth per month.

From a graphical standpoint, we are very impressed with Invision Board. Has anyone here used vBulletin and Invision Board?

Acronym BOY,

Yep, I hang around here. I just do not get into phpBB vs. VBul discussions. If you want info on what phpBB can/can't do or traffic levels etc. I'd be happy to discuss that.

Frank
    I dont blame you, given your position.

I have seen phpBB scale quite large, it just requires more than those $99 a month servers and some tweaking to your databases.

Thanks a lot!

(you didnt by any chance help an Arsain by the name of nearlygeeky/dom out with phpBB, did you?)

Originally posted by Acronym BOY

I have seen phpBB scale quite large, it just requires more than those $99 a month servers and some tweaking to your databases.
    Actually, on todays $99 machines it would prob. run just fine.

phpbb.com does 110 - 150K pagviews per day (based on Source Forge tracking). That's on the whole site, not just the forum. It was originally running on a PIII 750 with 512 meg memory. The CPU has been upgraded to 1000 mhz.

By todays standards, that is not "great" hardware.

The database has really not been tweaked at all. We did make some changes to the MySQL configuration (adjust buffer sizes, number of concurrent users etc.) but those are just things that you would do on any large MySQL based site.

The only "nonstandard" thing that we have is Zeus vs. Apache. Zeus might be overkill for a site our size, but it's just sooooo much easier.

Originally posted by Acronym BOY

(you didnt by any chance help an Arsain by the name of nearlygeeky/dom out with phpBB, did you?)
    umm, I help so many people with phpBB, I really can't remember.

Frank
    Umbra Hosting
    cPanel | Softaculous | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    UmbraHosting.com

ok , from what everyone that is talking , i hear more likes " Invision Board " yes ?

Actually, on todays $99 machines it would prob. run just fine.

phpbb.com does 110 - 150K pagviews per day (based on Source Forge tracking). That's on the whole site, not just the forum. It was originally running on a PIII 750 with 512 meg memory. The CPU has been upgraded to 1000 mhz.
    Nah, I meant a forum with 900+ people online at once. phpBB scaled pretty large. I think the max at phpBB was 400 online at once.