hi,
    i'm going to start a website for the 1st time.i need ur help in this regard.plan of website is 3 pages,two videos e.g. flash (90 mins each),playing in a video player e.g. flash player,a pdf file,viewer's ability to view and download it all.traffic can be massive,no updating the website,may b a contact e-mail,thats it.

here r the host specifications:

1- budget $40-$55/month (12 month upfront).
    2- both (linux)dedicated and vps are ok,doesn't necessarily have to be managed.
    3- dedicated unmetered bandwidth (10mbps).
    4- 10-20 gb HD.
    5- atleast 512mb ram.
    6- 1st ch:cpanel,2nd ch: plesk,3rd ch:no control panel.
    7- host's good reputation as i'm prefering reliability over cost.
    and
    who shd i choose for server management:webbycart.com (proactive) or platinumservermanagement.com (reactive)?any other server managers upto $35/month?

looking forward to ur help,'ll b obliged.take care.

if a host provides me fully managed server with comprehensive security then i can spend $85/month.
    Last edited by bear; 08-09-2008 at 07:11 AM.

need help in host selection

also the server doesn't necessarily have to be managed unless the host provides comprehensive security with full management.

The best thing you can do is to check out the dedicated servers section, pick a couple and then research them. To get a dedicated server with unlimited bandwidth, your price seems a little low though.

Good Luck
    Quality Hosting, Fast and Reliable. Personalized Service

http://www.ryleejames.com

That's definitely low for uncapped bandwidth, I'm not even sure if it's possible you'd find anything.

If you are willing to settle for capped bandwidth, I would recommend ServInt. Great quality, I've been with them for some time now and couldn't be happier.

You are asking for too much bandwidth. With your budget, you can get something like 400 - 500GB transfer/month, not a 10mbps line

You are going to start a website for a first time then why do you need such bandwidth?
    Host Speech - Talk About Web Hosting, Design & Marketing

Website URL: http://www.hostspeech.com

Quote Originally Posted by PNH-Madih View Post
    You are going to start a website for a first time then why do you need such bandwidth?
    He has two 90 Minute videos. Of course the bandwidth will pile up.

OP:
    I suggest you host your website and videos seperatly.
    Host your website with a reputable provider like MediaLayer or Steadfast, and then host your files (Your videos, and the pdf files) in a file hosting service such as Amazon S3
    hosted by HawkHost
    I Recommend: LimeStone Networks!
    The OverSeller Defender!

for that price all you will get is the bottom of the barrel of hosting #7.

you might be able to find some shared hosts that will give you 2500 gigs bandwith for that price tho.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhouse View Post
    for that price all you will get is the bottom of the barrel of hosting #7.

you might be able to find some shared hosts that will give you 2500 gigs bandwith for that price tho.
    It's not likely that you'd be able to use it, as 2500 gb transfer is more in line with a good dedicated server, and not a single shared hosting account.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

and then host your files (Your videos, and the pdf files) in a file hosting service such as Amazon S3
    The separating idea is quite a good one. Not that S3 will end up giving him 2500GB data transfer at $50, or anywhere near that.

I think he should make a big list of "overselling hosts", read their TOS, contact sales and explain his usage, look for reviews of customers that have managed to push huge amounts, then get a couple of such accounts and try it out.

I have, on a couple of occasions, fully maxed out my $4 account at www.canaca.com. That is, used up 500GB of disk space and 2TB of bandwidth – no complaints from the host either. That is quite a rare thing to come across though. Their uplink ports appear to be 100mbit as well.

Ideally though, I would just find like 5 different cheap shared hosting providers for like $6/month and set up 5 download mirrors. You can use javascript to automatically cycle through them on each page load, to get a decently average usage on each. That seems to be the only solution for you. You will not be able to find any cheap provider out there that will allow you 2TB of bandwidth usage on a regular basis.