Javascript - The Basics

Javascript - The Basics
    by Kurt Maine

Javascript is a fairly powerful scripting language that unfortunately, usually either gets underused, or WAY overused. For those of you not familiar with Javascript (referred to as "JS"), you usually see it used in the visual sense .. image fading, count-downs, etc. You should familiarize yourself with the Javascript keywords like: Variables, Event Handlers, If/Then Statements.

Javascript code is typically embedded into an HTML document using the script tag, you accomplish this by using the following code:

<script language="Javascript">
    <!--
    document.write("Binary Invisions is excellent..");
    //-->
    </script>

The language attribute isn't required, but in using it, you tell a browser "If you don't have this version of JS, then don't execute this code.". Example:

<script language="Javascript1.1">

I'll cover one last thing, the SRC attribute. It is used to link to an offpage javascript file to be executed as code on that paticular page. Example:

<script language="Javascript" src="whaibowpwns.js">
    </script>

More advanced writings on Javascript (and other topics) can be found at the Binary Invisions Community forum. A link is conveniently located in my signature.

nice lil tut there , will come in handy for ppl like me starting out with that stuff, thank you.

a+ thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bow-viper1
    you usually see it used in the visual sense .. image fading, count-downs, etc.
    Isn't CSS more powerful for visual effects? A lot of folks use JS blockers with the yahoo/google/whateverelse toolbars....

Very good tutorial, I learnt it of this website...w3schools.com/JS

Thanks for share this information. Keep it up!

Thanks! Good article.

Thanks for this, I'm trying to learn javascript and php right now, since I know how to code in html/css. Javascript is pretty difficult to learn.

This tutorial is very nice. Thanks for this.

Thank for script javascript.

Quote Originally Posted by xanthous View Post
    Isn't CSS more powerful for visual effects? A lot of folks use JS blockers with the yahoo/google/whateverelse toolbars....
    Not necessarily... CSS defines how to display HTML elements and CSS and later version have minimal effects... Sure you can make an image opaque and when someone rolls over it becomes 100% opacity but for great looking sliding menus most people use javascript or flash. But I guess it depends what you mean by visual effects

By the way.. Great tutorial
    AtomicPages Hosting
    Real, Honest, Non-Oversold Shared Hosting
    Full Website Setup and Management Available
    Web Hosting, Design, and Development Tutorials/Articles

Too bad it's heavily outdated and incorrect code.

Today you'd write JS like this:

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    <!--
    document.write("Binary Invisions is excellent..");
    //-->
    </script>

Thanks

Thanks for the tutorial. I look forward to more nuggets.