Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best CMS for a FORUM website?

What do you think is the Best CMS creating a FORUM website?

Something like vbAdvanced?.

Based on vBulletin forum software, the same software forum as WHT.
    OnePoundHost || Shared Web Hosting || cPanel, Softaculous, 24/7 Customer Support
    www.1poundhost.co.uk || Instant Set Up || 99.9% Uptime Guarantee || Affordable, Reliable Shared Hosting

Which forum software are you currently using?

I have only used phpBB for creating a forum and that was only for test purposes but it was very easy to get on with and manage. I would highly recommend it.
    Still under development! Web Hosting in the East of England!

Got good payment gateway rates! PM me for more details

vbulletin is good and most popular but vbulletin is paid and you can also try phpBB that one is open source and good features aswell and mostly people use it because that it is open source and you can get free mods too.
    Build your dream otherwise someone will hire you to build their dreams.

vBulletin or MyBB.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

+1 to phpBB
    I am speaking impaired

I have a lot of questions to ask and am learning . Please bear with me if my questions sounds silly or repetitive.

There are quite a few:

vBulletin
    XenForo
    Invision Power Board
    MyBB
    Phpbb
    PunBB
    SMF
    etc

In my opinion, the best is whatever you can grow well with. A lot of these scripts are free, and some of the better ones paid. However, I think when it comes to addons, then IPB/vBulletin are the winners. As for CMS, I believe all of these either have addons or settings from a front page CMS system.

MiniBB is probably my favourite...

It is not so "mini" - one of the easiest to skin, plugin based to extend and add only the required features (some plugins are paid)

Probably one of the biggest advantages - it is not on the radar for the spam bots to post to
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

vbulletin & phpBB

Has to be vbulletin and phpBB! phpBB, especially. It's the best forum CMS I've come across!

Given the hacking of phpBB in years past -- "raping and pillaging" would be more accurate -- I fail to understand why people still suggest it. The security hasn't gotten any better over time.

The spam situation is even worse.

You almost have to be into S&M to want that much self-inflicted admin frustration.

I don't know of a single popular/quality forum that is still using it. Most are now on vBulletin, IPB, or XenForo.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

If you want seamless integration with a forum and a CMS, I can think of only 3.

IPB + IP.C (Paid): The most powerful out of three.

Joomla + Kunena (Free)

Vbulletin + VbCMS (Paid): Vb is going downhill rapidly, so I suggest you avoid Vb.
    I choose not to use my signature for advertising.

It doesn't matter how much you claim how important your data is. If it's not backed up, it's not important.

Quote Originally Posted by alucasa View Post
    Vbulletin + VbCMS (Paid): Vb is going downhill rapidly, so I suggest you avoid Vb.
    Is it the new Beta version that is going down hill or something else?

phpBB - don't use this unless you have a good reason to, and make sure you secure it well.

I'd use myBB for a forum site every time.

Personally I quite like MyBB, other then that would be vBulletin.

Quote Originally Posted by icyshout View Post
    Is it the new Beta version that is going down hill or something else?
    The general, overall, trend is downward. I jumped the ship when their new license structure hit which was basically a money-grabbing scheme.

They just barely managed to make Vb4 stable and it's only at 4.2.0. But they need to move onto an entirely new version ASAP since that's the only way for them to grab capital. They have been been going downhill quality wise and it's only getting worse. Vb5 is the perfect example/result.
    I choose not to use my signature for advertising.

It doesn't matter how much you claim how important your data is. If it's not backed up, it's not important.

I would recommend using vBulletin. They have a facebook plugin so your forum can be plugged into facebook right away.
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com

So which is which?

phpBB or vbulletin?
    or Joomla + kunena?
    Do drupal have this kind of addon like Joomla with kunena?

Thanks for the replies.

IPB + the IP.Content add-on is the most complete CMS package out there of all forum software.

vBulletin's CMS is a joke, and phpBB is outdated in terms of design.

I've been using vBulletin for almost two years now, and I can say it is really great. It is a bit expensive (more than 200 dollars) but it works really well. New version 5 is going to kill it, so I'm planning to switch to Invision Power Board or stay with vBulletin 4, upgrade is not an option.

Not too long ago, I would have recommended vBulletin without much hesitation.. But after their rather disappointing beta release of vB-5, I'm not sure I like the direction they're heading in. Not to say you shouldn't consider them - It is powerful, professionally built CMS software and version 4 (current) gives you a lot of options between the regular license and the suite.

I've also used phpBB before - it's not bad. It depends specifically on what you're trying to accomplish, though more than likely it will get the job done. An obvious pro is it's free.

I'd also recommend looking into IP.Board - I used Invision back in the day, and I hear good things about the new versions.

Vbulletin 5 or VBulletin 4 Publishing Suite would do the Job.

However it depends what CMS features you want because I love xenForo.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterpuppets View Post
    So which is which?

phpBB or vbulletin?
    or Joomla + kunena?
    Do drupal have this kind of addon like Joomla with kunena?

Thanks for the replies.
    Drupal + phpBB (http://drupal.org/project/phpbbforum).
    I am speaking impaired

I have a lot of questions to ask and am learning . Please bear with me if my questions sounds silly or repetitive.

After looking around, I've seen a lot of bad views regarding vBulletin5, what are the problems with the new release?

I've always regarded vBulletin as one of the best forum softwares.
    OnePoundHost || Shared Web Hosting || cPanel, Softaculous, 24/7 Customer Support
    www.1poundhost.co.uk || Instant Set Up || 99.9% Uptime Guarantee || Affordable, Reliable Shared Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by OnePoundHost View Post
    After looking around, I've seen a lot of bad views regarding vBulletin5, what are the problems with the new release?

I've always regarded vBulletin as one of the best forum softwares.
    The concern isn't so much that there are problems - Loading times between forum topics were slow as a grandfather snail - but it is, after all, in beta testing. Most of the disappointment, however, lies in the design and functionality. A poster in a separate thread on WHT mentioned that vB-5 might as well be a less attractive, lower quality IP.Board, and based on what I've compared, I think they may have a valid point.

We can't stamp a final judgment on vB-5 just yet, because only the beta version has been released. But personally I know I'd have to see a significant improvement before I'd even think about throwing $250 at a license for version 5.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast