settling sof2 server

hi!
    i have some free space on a server and was thinking about using it as a soldier of fortune 2 clan server, however i'm totally green in it so i require your help.

can ya tell me what exactly do i have to do to run it, or point some kinda tutorial out? i've been searching through the internet and couldn't find anything worth my attention- just a bunch of hosting company advertisings.

i dont believe it's so complicated to run a simple server.

thanks in advance

What version of SOF2 you need ?

gold v.1.03

Honestly given the amount of time you'll need to spend to gather the files, set it up, learn the process, etc, you're better off renting a server for $10 / month.
    ColoCrossing - Dedicated to Uptime
    Jon Biloh | jbiloh@colocrossing.com | 1.800.518.9716 | Skype: jbiloh
    DDOS Protected Colo & Dedicated Servers in Buffalo, Chicago, Dallas and Los Angeles

ok, thx for advise

No problem, good luck searching. Consider contacting Derek from XFS, I know he is a game server provider and he probably hosts SOF2.
    ColoCrossing - Dedicated to Uptime
    Jon Biloh | jbiloh@colocrossing.com | 1.800.518.9716 | Skype: jbiloh
    DDOS Protected Colo & Dedicated Servers in Buffalo, Chicago, Dallas and Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by JonBiloh View Post
    Honestly given the amount of time you'll need to spend to gather the files, set it up, learn the process, etc, you're better off renting a server for $10 / month.
    Not if he wants to run a bigger server, although in this day and age not many people do, it's not very difficult to run one, all you need is the files and the knowledge to set it up, you could always consider hiring someone and paying a one time fee for install.
    "Unix is simple. It just takes a genius to understand its simplicity." – Dennis Ritchie

wow I didnt think people still played sof2 thats an old but classic game.

well first you will need to run the server by using a run command...if your using a linux OS the two links will help. (found by doing a simple google search).

server files

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/262/...d+server+v1.02

run command
    http://forums.gameservers.com/viewtopic.php?t=10750

@flumps
    yeah... i found this, but its just a few files not explaining what to do with them

do i have to install sof2 on server, paste those file and run it?
    i thought there was some kind of server application

Quote Originally Posted by cupakabra View Post
    @flumps
    yeah... i found this, but its just a few files not explaining what to do with them

do i have to install sof2 on server, paste those file and run it?
    i thought there was some kind of server application
    if you dont know how to run and maintain a game server ur better off renting a game server from a provider there are plenty of cheap ones out there however I dont think many will still run sof2 servers...abit of an old game.

look up and read about how to use screen, once youve learned that run the server using the run command..all you need is the linux server files for the game you want.

you DO NOT need the game installed on ur server. you just need the linux server files.

well... i said im noobish at this stuff... but i guess its time to learn a lil bit something

thx 4 yo help

Quote Originally Posted by cupakabra View Post
    well... i said im noobish at this stuff... but i guess its time to learn a lil bit something

thx 4 yo help
    really sorry cupa but I really cant help you without running the server for you myself lol.

however..

here is a link on how to use screen:

http://www.rackaid.com/resources/lin...s/using-screen

and im 80% confident the run command with a linux OS for sof2 will look somthing like this:

Code:
    ./sof2ded +set net_ip 123.123.123.123 +set net_port SOFPORT +set sv_cheats 0 +exec SERVERCONF

I'm not sure if you found a qualified host yet, but I ran Sof2 servers about 4-6 years ago on linux servers, so contact me if you are still in need of files and info on how to manage one. I can't lie when I say I'm real rusty with that stuff now, especially since I believed no one would be playing sof2 6 years later; however once I look over my files and get back to the basics I'm sure it will all come back to me, at least enough for me to give someone assistance with one.

Also, about how many slots are you in need of for the server and are you interested in having a ventrilo or teamspeak server go along with it?
    Last edited by Kanistic; 11-02-2009 at 08:53 PM.

in case u didn't notice, ive sent ya pm

Quote Originally Posted by JonBiloh View Post
    Plenty of tutorials around setting up these servers

I remember ages ago, finding a linux game server tutorial file was like gold dust