Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

[looking ahead] Office Space

This is only to get a good idea on office space and the such. but what do you do to get a building for your company? Such as an office in LA, or an office in Chicago, New York, or the likes?

-steve

thanks, really appreciate.

There are areas where you can rent/lease out office space in a nice building.

Down here in Miami, a 2 room office runs for aout $1,000 a month.

It will be more costly in places like LA, NY, Miami and such than others.

If you're going to get office space in any of those places, you're going to have to seriously raise your prices.

New York and Chicago have extremely high costs. L.A. isn't quite so high, but still way up there.
    www.square-network.com www.squarenetwork.com
    Now available in regular and dehyphenated.
    May 2003 Member of the Month
    Useless Community Liason Ever Since.

Do you know of some websites I could go to in order to see what pricing is like? I really dont want to fly to Chicago, New York, or LA...

-steve

Indianapolis, IN
    Why not just rent a place where you're at?
    Toeki - a Fikarast Co., Ltd. business (Accredited .WS & CentralNIC Registrar)
    We accept PayPal, Bank Transfers and all crypto currencies (BTC, ETC, LTC ...etc)
    █Domain Registration http://www.toeki.net

Originally posted by Coach
    If you're going to get office space in any of those places, you're going to have to seriously raise your prices.

New York and Chicago have extremely high costs. L.A. isn't quite so high, but still way up there.
    ^^^ exactly what he said.
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.

Is there a reason why you picked those cities? You can run your hosting business from just about anywhere...

Originally posted by Nathan Allen
    Is there a reason why you picked those cities? You can run your hosting business from just about anywhere...
    Yea, I was just wondering how you get space there. thats all

-steve

Contact a commercial real estate agent... that is what they do all day, every day.
    » OmegaSphere - http://www.omegasphere.net/
    » Vancouver co-location, Managed Services, Shared Hosting, SSL Certificates, Domain Names
    » Your IT Experts - Located in beautiful Vancouver, BC, Canada
    » 604-618-0543 - 866-618-0543 - support@omegasphere.net

Drive around in the area that you want to rent in. Find a building and go in and ask some of their tennants if they are happy with their landlord and, if so, ask for contact info.

That's how we found our new office...the current tennants couldn't say enough good things about them. So far, our experience has been amazing as well.
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Why go in such a high-rent place? I'm sure with a business like hosting, it doesn't matter what type of place you work in.

Find cheap space that has connectivity, electricity, security, and your set.

Originally posted by ImGeek
    Why go in such a high-rent place? I'm sure with a business like hosting, it doesn't matter what type of place you work in.

Find cheap space that has connectivity, electricity, security, and your set.
    Why doesn't it matter with "a business like hosting"?
    Could you also indulge on what your description of the hosting business is?

Hosting is like any business, and actually with the internet still seen as "murky water" for some people, it's certainly a huge plus to local business that you land yourself a nice office.

I wouldn't say the hosting business is different to any other, with regards to the standards you should keep.

Hosting requires nearly no physical contact with customers. (In most cases).

So, why go for an expensive place when for the most part, it will be seen only by a handful of staff?

Afterall, many hosting businesses can be run by one or two people.

Hosting requires a lot of physical contact, in most cases.

Don't take WHT as a norm for the web hosting industry, as the R&O forums show quite clearly.

Most hosting business' start up by hitting the local market ( if they don't..they should).

Now, that in mind, wouldn't you feel a little more comfortable when dealing with a business that has a genuine business look and feel to it, rather than dealing with a company that greets you at the door of a run-down shed like office?

Speaking from the financial side of things, it is actually more advantageous to a business to have an office, as opposed to running it from home, or something along those lines.

Granted, maybe not many WHT based companies even realise the tax applies to them, but to the genuine company owners ( of which WHT has many), they'll acknowledge the major benefits of having an office that "Joe Public", if he wanted, could drop into when he pleased.

You make a good point, but I've always assumed the norm in hosting is young people, low investment, etc. (Usually rented servers from datacenters).

I think very few of the thousands of hosting companies are what you describe.

You make a good point, but I've always assumed the norm in hosting is young people, low investment, etc. (Usually rented servers from datacenters).

That is a big assumption that is made. It is due to the fact that there are so many "hosts" who start and close after a month or so (because of 13 or 14 year olds running a "company").

I think you'll find a variety of different hosts, yes some do rent servers, but some also co-locate, and there are some bigger hosts who run their own datacenter (i.e. Mediatemple).

I think there is some confusion as well. Having a commercial location is advantageous. One, it is an office and a store at the same time. People can come in and ask about the host's services and maybe even become clients. Serving as an office, it allows employees a physical place where they can work, and for the owners a place where they can store all business related items as not to lose them in a home environment.

I once worked for an internet services company that did web design, eBay auctioning, and web hosting run out of a commercial office space. It was small, but we were able to secure a T1 connection and ran a couple of Cobalt RAQ servers directly from the office for a redundant backup and internal network.

The only issue really is location and cost.

Regards,
    Mark

Originally posted by IHSL
    Hosting requires a lot of physical contact, in most cases.

Don't take WHT as a norm for the web hosting industry, as the R&O forums show quite clearly.

Most hosting business' start up by hitting the local market ( if they don't..they should).

Now, that in mind, wouldn't you feel a little more comfortable when dealing with a business that has a genuine business look and feel to it, rather than dealing with a company that greets you at the door of a run-down shed like office?

Speaking from the financial side of things, it is actually more advantageous to a business to have an office, as opposed to running it from home, or something along those lines.

Granted, maybe not many WHT based companies even realise the tax applies to them, but to the genuine company owners ( of which WHT has many), they'll acknowledge the major benefits of having an office that "Joe Public", if he wanted, could drop into when he pleased.

Very well said. I can't add anymore to that...erm...except to say "Very well said."

--Tina
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

You need to separate TRUE HOSTING COMPANIES from KIDS WITH A HOBBY WHO DON'T FILE TAXES OR PAY THEIR OWN LIVING EXPENSES.

What he described to you are true hosting companies.

--Tina

You make very a good point.

Originally posted by AffordableHost
    Very well said. I can't add anymore to that...erm...except to say "Very well said."

--Tina
    I really appreciate everyone's post. I think these are giving me more insight on what to do if xeoHosting expands. I really dont think that the new hosts have purchased office space right off the bat (unless they take out a loan) so that is why

I really appreciate the thoughts and comments, all helpful to me gaining more of an understanding.

thanks,
    steve

You may want to try some of these sites:
    http://www.officeseeker.com
    http://www.officefinder.com
    and google for yet others.

Also keep in mind:

1) Lease terms - make sure to negotiate these carefully. If you are not sure how long you are going to stay at a certain premise, don't sign up for a three year contract, for instance, if you can avoid it.

2) Expandability - it is ideal to find an office space that is expandable for the future. Ask about this when you interview
    various locations.

3) Extra costs - make sure to budget in the cost of setting up
    the office plus the monthly costs. Every little thing adds up -
    from the office water cooler to the DSL or T1 to the individual
    PC's for the new staff, the phone system, the electricity, any
    utilities, etc.

4) Manager - make sure that you will either be able to run the
    office yourself OR that you have a partner or trusted manager
    to run the office.

Best of luck with your expansion!
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

We pay about $40 per square feet for our office. We are located in a prime business location in Toronto. Price varies on location and premisis features (such as built out, open space, etc).

Wow, we're paying about $1.50 per sq. ft...not in prime area, but nice business district.

Then again, we're in an office tower, in TORONTO. So that speaks for it self.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast