Where's the meat?

I had just logged into the forum today and there in front of me was an ad banner that said something like;

SingleHop core2quad server 8Gb x500Gb HDD for resellers # $149 pm.
    I had just been looking at some websites trying to figure how much you could sell VPS for at a fair price and then that banner popped in front of my face.

On that config above, if you sell say 7Gb Ram x 512Mb size VPSs, that's 14VPS in the server. Which costs per 512GbRam =$11 each. (to buy).

Yet I see some hosts selling 512MbRam VPS for $12.per month. And again I see 512Mb VPS going for $40 pm.

Is anyone willing to give a newbie interested in getting into hosting some advice about why & how?

$40 pm host will have backups/ management and other features that $12pm host will not have. You get what you pay for!

Is anyone willing to give a newbie interested in getting into hosting some advice about why & how?
    When math blatantly doesn't make any sense, I place my bets on overselling. Not too sure how that really goes with memory quotas that are supposed to be guaranteed, but... sometimes things are what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    When math blatantly doesn't make any sense, I place my bets on overselling. Not too sure how that really goes with memory quotas that are supposed to be guaranteed, but... sometimes things are what they are.
    Today I saw 512Mb VPS even cheaper than above. AND!!!!.... includes a Cpanel where as a big Data center wants me to buy-in the Cpanel for the same price this VPS is rented for inc. Cpanel.

How can you oversell a Cpanel?

There's alot of things that factor in here, how many CPU cores, what speed per core, disk space and network transfer and port speed all have to be answered when comparing plans.

Comparing a $14 vps with a single core from an i7 w/ 512MB of RAM and 500GB of HDD space and 2000GB of total transfer isnt going to be the same and shouldnt be compared to a VPS with 2 cores off an i7 w/ 512MB of RAM, 2TB of HDD space and unmetered 10mbit.