Question Strange CGI/SSI problem

I have been trying to install a guestbook CGI program (multiguest pro) on my Raq4i and have been running into a problem.

First, I have this program up and running on a different server so I know that it works (or how it's supposed to work!) and that maybe the problem might be with something being different with the Raq... or perhaps the sendmail version it uses.

The first thing I notice is that the SSI on the main page give me an internal server error.

But the problem that is bugging me is when you try to sign somebody's guestbook, you get an internal server error. It writes to the guestbook OK and even sends the guestbook owner an email, but it always gives me that error. The error log reports that it is a malformed header in the script.

I called Rackshack and while asking their techs a question (about a different problem) asked them about this... the confirmed it was in the script, but couldnt help more because it was a cgi problem. (no complaints from me... they already went way above and beyond the call of duty with some of my stupid questions... thanks guys!)

Anyway, I was wondering if my Raq4i is running a different version of sendmail and that could be causing the problems?... if so, any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks!

Sendmail might be in a different folder......I know many scripts point to /bin/sendmail, but you may need to use /sbin/sendmail.

The sendmail and perl paths are correct. I also checked and double checked the permissions and ownerships.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Thanks!

Ok, the file/folder that is to contain the entries must have the correct permissions as well.

I had this problem with my cgi scripts on the my raq server at rackshack.

I found out it only happend when the cgi script sent mail to a domain hosted on the raq, change the emaill address on the script to send to a domain not hosted on the raq and see if that works.

I fixed the problem by removing the mail entries for the domain, but I don't need the mail entries for mys ite ont he raq this might not be a solution for you.

CmptrWz: Thanks, I'm pretty sure that all the permissions on the files/directories are set right... but I'll double check them.

jkcity: Thanks for your input too... the email address the guestbook was sending to was an AOL email address. But I will play around with this tongiht and make sure all the email setting are correct.

This really has me puzzled.... I have other program (like form mail) that uses sendmail and it works OK. I also have other pages that use SSI and they work fine too (different site, but same server.)

I have been trying to get intouch with the scripts tech support, but have not had much luck hearing back from them (except for the inital email that said to install it fresh... which I did.... with the same results.)

I'm hoping this is just some stupid thing that when I see it, i'll want to kick myself for NOT seeing it! I can be such a dunce some days!

Thanks again for your collective brainpower!

Wait a second, if you are trying to use SSI WITHIN a CGI script then that might be the problem.

The SSI is on the index.shtml page.... it is used to show a list of guestbook catagories.... But I get an INTERNAL SERVER ERROR whenever I try to view that page (actually... the page shows OK, there is just the error box where the SSI should have been inserted.)

These are seperate problems... I think. But the SSI is not run from the script.

Thanks!

Ok, are you using the exec or include directive?
    I recommend the include directive if possible, use <!--#include virtual="web path to script" -->