Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for a dedicated server for Minecraft Hosting.

I may be starting up another minecraft server hosting company in a month or so and want to do it rite this time. Does anyone know of a place that rents dedicated servers that will give me the best value for my money? The more ram they offer the better.

Talking about hosting other servers. SATA works fine for hosting for now. Location can be anywhere in the US. Budget would be under $200/ dedicated server.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Ianm56; 11-22-2011 at 05:57 PM.

How many players? SSD or SATA? Location? Budget?

Any location preference?
    ★★★★★
    HostSlim - Premium Managed Hosting Solutions
    Dedicated & Premium Hosting - Premium Network - 1.6Tbps DDoS Protection Available - OWN DATACENTER NETHERLANDS
    Resell Whitelabel Dedicated Servers - Twitter: @HostSlim - www.HostSlim.eu - Facebook: @HostSlimBV

Talking about hosting other servers. SATA works fine for hosting for now. Location can be anywhere in the US. Budget would be under $200/ dedicated server.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianm56 View Post
    What specs are you looking for? Unmanaged Or Managed. You can get an intel atom for 200 dollars a month but you can also get a sandy bridge for 200 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by BassHost View Post
    What specs are you looking for? Unmanaged Or Managed. You can get an intel atom for 200 dollars a month but you can also get a sandy bridge for 200 a month.
    Not really caring too much about the processor as long as it's quad core. If there is one with a good managed price that would be cool, but if there is an unmanaged one cheaper then that's fine.

Are you looking for linux or windows?

If 16GB RAM is enough you can get good deals on Xeon E3 servers at Incinero, Talenthouse, and IOflood.

Linux of course.

How many players are you expecting? make sure you are on a quad core server with as much RAM as they can put in the box for you at your price range.
    ~ Webair Managed Cloud Servers ~ Dedicated Servers ~ Advanced CDN Network ~ Enterprise / Managed Hosting ~ ICANN Accredited Registrar ~ Multiple Data Center Locations - New York, Amsterdam, LA, & Montreal ~
    ~ SKYPE/AIM: WebairGH - TWITTER - @WEBAIRINC - EMAIL: sales@webair.com

Quote Originally Posted by WebairGerard View Post
    How many players are you expecting? make sure you are on a quad core server with as much RAM as they can put in the box for you at your price range.
    Yeah, I'm looking for a dedicated server to start up another server hosting company since my last one I had to end for certain reasons and know what not to do now lol. I used MeteorVPS before and the owners are great and their servers were good and fair priced but I'm looking for something a little cheaper if that is possible lol.

I would suggest the Sandy Bridge over the atom.
    REDUNDANT.COMEquinix Data Centers Performance Optimized Network
    Managed & Unmanaged
    • Servers • Colocation • Cloud • VEEAM
    sales@redundant.com

I was looking at ioflood and I defiantly like this processor. http://ark.intel.com/products/52271 What do you think about the prices?

I was looking at ioflood and I defiantly like this processor. http://ark.intel.com/products/52271 What do you think about the prices?
    Excellent for minecraft, high CPU clock speed. Great bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    Excellent for minecraft, high CPU clock speed. Great bang for the buck.
    This is about the E3-1230. I can second this. We have setup several minecraft servers with TONS of storage. SSD, SAS, etc and the CPU can keep up with just about anything.

The one thing that becomes the limiting factor on growth with the E3 CPU's... at this time it is not reasonable to go to more than 16GB ram. So you must make sure 16GB ram will be enough for your long term goals. Otherwise you will want to look at other CPU options.
    REDUNDANT.COMEquinix Data Centers Performance Optimized Network
    Managed & Unmanaged
    • Servers • Colocation • Cloud • VEEAM
    sales@redundant.com

Yeah, I was thinking go 16 or 32 for each dedi depending on how much money me and my partner can spend at the beginning. Any tips for running the business better this time?

Quote Originally Posted by TalentHouse Hosting View Post
    The one thing that becomes the limiting factor on growth with the E3 CPU's... at this time it is not reasonable to go to more than 16GB ram. So you must make sure 16GB ram will be enough for your long term goals. Otherwise you will want to look at other CPU options.
    32GB RAM can be achieved for a $680 one time cost now, thanks to the RAM dropping in price (kingston 8GB chips).

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    32GB RAM can be achieved for a $680 one time cost now, thanks to the RAM dropping in price (kingston 8GB chips).
    Really ... cause we only pay 350 dollars for 32 gb ram. 8 GB sticks are only 85 dollars each now.

Really ... cause we only pay 350 dollars for 32 gb ram. 8 GB sticks are only 85 dollars each now.
    I think you're referring to registered DIMMs, not unbuffered which is needed for e3-1230.

Yeah, I might collocate sometime in the future but now I am not ready for that commitment so I would rather just rent. What do you think is good priced for minecraft? Last time I did $15/ Gb. Also, is it worth investing into source hosting?

As far as it goes, minecraft is mostly limited by ram. Cpu is important, but we have a number of customers using an x3460 or x3470 with 32gb ram filled with minecraft customers, and cpu is not an issue for them. So for general minecraft hosting it's a good option. If you're running a couple of really large servers (4gb or more), then the E3 will be better, but if you're running a lot of little servers (2gb or less), then the x3460/70 will be sufficient while dropping your price per gb ram.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Yeah, what I learned is that most people order really small servers and you rarely get big ones so it might be best to go with the cheaper ram/ lower cpu option.

I sort of think that the 32 gb deal would be better but I would have to then get another hdd since that many servers on one 500gb drive would shred it so. Thanks for the pointers guys!

I sort of think that the 32 gb deal would be better but I would have to then get another hdd since that many servers on one 500gb drive would shred it so. Thanks for the pointers guys!
    I highly recommend RAID-10 for all minecraft purposes. Even with 8x750GB on a LSI controller, we're hitting a few IO issues.

With 16GB worth of minecraft servers running bukkit, you'd need quite a bit of IOPS. A single 500GB is maybe good for a few minecraft servers.

The most important factor is how you want your server to cope under high load, RAID-1 should be good enough if you don't care about high load situations ( server reboot, reinstallations, world regeneration ). I have a client that is using dual X5675 with 90GB worth of servers ( not exactly IO intensive MC servers ), and his 6 drive 15k SAS array raid-10 is just barely keeping up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiesowns View Post
    I highly recommend RAID-10 for all minecraft purposes. Even with 8x750GB on a LSI controller, we're hitting a few IO issues.

With 16GB worth of minecraft servers running bukkit, you'd need quite a bit of IOPS. A single 500GB is maybe good for a few minecraft servers.

The most important factor is how you want your server to cope under high load, RAID-1 should be good enough if you don't care about high load situations ( server reboot, reinstallations, world regeneration ). I have a client that is using dual X5675 with 90GB worth of servers ( not exactly IO intensive MC servers ), and his 6 drive 15k SAS array raid-10 is just barely keeping up.
    Yeah, last time I used 2 500gb hdd and that worked out fine for the 16 and 32 gb servers I was using so I might just keep doing that. The big choice now is weather I should go with the company that I used before who have great support and I like the owners but offer a lower cpu but have a 1gbps network, or go with io and get a better cpu (depending on the plan) and a 100mb/s network with people I don't know. They are pretty much the exact same price after all things.

Why does IO go from a 3.2GHz quad core Xeon E3-1230 CPU to a 2.53GHz quad core Xeon X3440 CPU?
    Last edited by Ianm56; 11-22-2011 at 10:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast