To cPanel or Not To cPanel?

So, I am wondering what everyone thinks about this.

Sure, cPanel is stable and popular but do you personally think that if something "better" came out people would switch? I know there are those who like DA and same for cPanel. In the end they all do the same basic things.

What would make you change over to something different?
    Brendan McNiff
    Nebula Technology Solutions, Inc.
    Email: corp@ntsnoc.com
    Phone: +1(682)651-5901

Hi,

Cpanel is more userfriendly and ease to use. Also it is easy to fix issues using different scripts.

There are some thing about cPanel that I don't like, but nothing's perfect. There isn't any major improvement I could think of that would make me switch.
    Plus the fact that all the third party software supports cPanel which makes it even harder to adopt anything else.

"Better" would obviously need to be better defined. There's really nothing seriously flawed about cPanel and so many hosts have adopted it, hence, their users are used to it. Given that cPanel has also been around for very long and has a proven track record, it'll be hard to convince hosts to adopt a new unproven panel.

I'm not sure what would make me change over. Personally, I'm a DA fan, but in the end, there's a difference between my personal preference and what's best for my users.

I prefer cPanel over every other hosting control panel I have found, but it is also more expensive than any other hosting panel too, as far as I know.

When I recently rented a low end dedicated server for $25 a month I learned that it would cost me over $30 per month to add cPanel. That sort of defeats the purpose of renting a cheap dedi. In cases like this where cost is a major consideration I like Webmin/Virtualmin for it's low price of free.

But if all things were equal I would always choose cPanel. It is the most detail oriented hosting panel in the business. As others have mentioned it also includes some very well designed scripts that can be very useful if something on your server gets all screwed up like your Exim or MySQL configurations.
    Skeptic Hosting
    Promoting a reality-based lifestyle choice
    Hosting by invitation only, nothing for sale

We prefer cpanel for what it does and for how support is handled.

Also, when someone is switching from another hosting company to us a lot of them are already using and are used to cpanel - which makes transferring the site easy and makes them happy that they don't have to learn something new.

I am actually very impressed that not much has changed with cpanel.

The constancy is excellent and the interface is so intuitive and anyone can figure out how to use it very quickly.

it has a proven track record becuase the interface and that's what makes it popular.

I'll bet everyone would have a fit if cpanel changed into something more like Plesk.

as the saying goes "if it aint broke don't fix it"
    Something awesome
    coming soon....

People buy hosting because it has cPanel, not having it will lose you customers.

Having said that the same is true for the opposite.

However more people are looking for a host with cPanel, than looking for a host without it
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

i would say cPanel because it offers you more features better scripting solutions and a more integration options

I actually disagree - I don't think people buy hosting because it has cPanel. Is cPanel the best hosting control panel out of the market? YES. However, because the hosting market is still very immature, and there are a number of hosts (re: GoDaddy) offering customized control panels, while still having a rather unsophisticated consumer, most customers using cPanel wouldn't even realize that there are competing webhosts out there also offering cPanel.

Maybe not everyone looks for cpanel, but say you save $40 a month on cpanel, and lose 4 customers who wanted cpanel that would have been paying $10 a month, is it worth it? Not to mention all of the other selling points that are integrated into cpanel (r1soft, ruby on rails, tomcat, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by samb0057 View Post
    Maybe not everyone looks for cpanel, but say you save $40 a month on cpanel, and lose 4 customers who wanted cpanel that would have been paying $10 a month, is it worth it? Not to mention all of the other selling points that are integrated into cpanel (r1soft, ruby on rails, tomcat, etc).
    This is a great point.

CPanel is a great software for Hosting environment. Even non tech customers trust it and like to have with each web. So, I guess it is very difficult for any other software to beat it and even if some one make a better panel than cPanel. It will take years to gain people's trust.

100+ for cPanel - its a great panel and they offer excellent support also.
    Respectfully,
    Mr. Terrence

Cpanel is easy and very good
    i use it 6 years ago

If you use it for your own used, I don't think cPanel would be necessary. But if you use it for web-hosting, I think cPanel would be needed.
    Thanks..
    SerayaHost.com :: Care Hosting With Value Price
    Email : sales @ serayahost.com | cPanel & US Server
    Your Domain Reseller Partner

My vote if definately for cPanel.

1) User-friendly
    2) Wide Plugin support
    3) Wide variety3 party scripts support
    4) Excellent customer support
    5) There is lot of help available on net if you run into any issues

Thank you
    Seo Web Hosting - Different C-Class Ips, Multple Locations, Seo Dedicated / VPS Servers Available..
    FFmpeg Enabled Plans, Seo Hosting [Different C-Class Ips], 24 Hour Live Chat & Ticket Support.

Easy answer. If another control panel entered the market and the benefits of switching outweighed the costs (cumulatively, not just financially) then it would be something that we would need to seriously consider.

Do I see this happening in the near distant future - nope.

Quote Originally Posted by cobrastrike View Post
    So, I am wondering what everyone thinks about this.

Sure, cPanel is stable and popular but do you personally think that if something "better" came out people would switch? I know there are those who like DA and same for cPanel. In the end they all do the same basic things.

Given the size of cPanel now (both as an organisation and the use of their product) it would be difficult for something better to come along and take a significant share of the market.

I think it could be quite easy for someone to build a solution that does item X better than cPanel - but in terms of the whole cPanel product (and the ecosystem around it in terms of products that work with it) I think it would be difficult for someone else to compete.

As long as cPanel themselves don't do anything to cause a "backlash" among users (price rises, significant feature changes that users don't support, drop in support / product quality etc...) I think they'll still be as popular, if not even more, for a long time.

The only thing I see in the medium-term, that might be interesting, is whether cPanel transition to (or adds) a Linux option to their Enkompass product. The idea of pricing per account, rather than server, is something I think that makes a lot of sense as technology develops.
    Alasdair
    Long time ex-host, ex-billing software owner/developer/support staff. Recent lurker.