Singlehop - Not recommended

Been using Singlehop for a few months. To be fair, network is good (no downtime so far), price is decent. Hardware is decent. Control panel is just (no MRTG graphs?).

What I don't like is the 'feel' of it. From the start you could just see that they're all about $ (ah, which host isn't but this gets irritating after a while). Get into support chat everytime and they're always going to ask you about selling firewall, backup, etc. Even when you've already said no thanks.

That's stil ok, maybe they are concerned for their customers. For the past few days, we couldn't login LEAP (their control panel). Password wasn't working. So we sent email to sales. No reply. Maybe it was weekend. Yesterday we manage to get hold of sales and still couldn't fix that login issue. Since our payment with Singlehop is already due, I specifically informed the sales to inform billing that we couldn't make payment because we couldn't login. I didn't want to get suspended because of non payment. I've also informed sales to let me know when they got my LEAP issue fixed. So after doing everything, went to bed, with fairly good assurance that it'll all be done for me.

This morning, I woke up to see my server suspended. No LEAP issue fixed e-mail. Just account suspended (and server down) due to non payment.

So all in all, although Singlehop does receive good reviews around here, I would stay away. Just my 2cc.

so you say that everything is ok network, price, hardware, but just because you don't pay for the service you leave a bad review?

Did you manage to read the reason we couldnt pay?

We have our main site with them. I dont like that I cant add a credit card if there is not one on file already. You have to contact sales to do it. Other then that we have not had any issues with them. Also I think they dont suspend the server until 3 days after payment is due.

The OP is just simply staying they are always trying to sell something everything he contacts them. I would agree with the OP its not a good environment if people are always pushing you to buy something you don't want to.
    Respectfully,
    Mr. Terrence

Sorry to hear that, sounds like internal needs to be worked on, that could have been avoided.

Update us when LEAP is fixed and server back online
    Last edited by RichardPerez; 01-27-2011 at 01:47 AM. Reason: typo
    Richard Perez | PureWeb
    Dedicated Servers - cPanel Web Hosting - cPanel Reseller Hosting
    6 Nationwide Locations. 100% Network SLA. Established in 2007. True 24/7/365 Support.
    Follow us on Twitter: @purewebtech. Network POPS in: LAX - CHI - DFW - NYC - SEA - ATL

Exclamation

I agree with whdev, they just want your $$$.

Even if you're in the trouble, you will have to pay $9.95 for

the quick response
    .[that's on the LEAP]

From the start you could just see that they're all about $$$,

and they never refund the money for whatever your reason.

Not Recommended!!!
    Last edited by rubher; 01-27-2011 at 02:14 AM.

Sorry to hear that . Single hop for have quite a good reputation on the internet with more positive reviews than not .

That said exceptions always exist . You should try gettin in touch with their customer service or administrative department and get things sorted . I'm sure that they would be interested in keeping both , their customers as well as their reputation with them .

Wishing you all the very best .
    Regards

The $9.95 fee is just to guarantee a 15 minute response. I have had sales tickets take a while to be answered, however support tickets are usually answered extremely promptly. Last night I sent a ticket in at 3 AM with a 5 minute response time.

I would highly suggest contacting them directly to sort out any issues. I have always found SingleHop staff extremely attentive and helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by THAMAN View Post
    The OP is just simply staying they are always trying to sell something everything he contacts them. I would agree with the OP its not a good environment if people are always pushing you to buy something you don't want to.
    Which isn't always a bad thing if it's the right solution for the customer. Selling your customer something they have no need for is just terrible sales, and not a good way to have a meaningful, long lasting relationship.

I would agree pushing a hardware firewall is kind of... meh. Unless you're on a windows machine, it's generally not necessary or helpful anyway.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Am quite keen to see how this pans out, I hope something gets sorted for you. Also I wonder if Singlehop use these forums...would be interesting to see what their response would be on the matter.
    Web Trade Pro - The only web hosting you'll ever need...EVER...
    █ 100s Auto Install Scripts for Blogs, Forums, Shopping Carts and Billing Systems
    Email sales@webtradepro.com and find out more!

Web Trade Pro Ltd | United Kingdom - Manchester | Company No. 07763352

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    I would agree pushing a hardware firewall is kind of... meh. Unless you're on a windows machine, it's generally not necessary or helpful anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWH Admin View Post
    Am quite keen to see how this pans out, I hope something gets sorted for you. Also I wonder if Singlehop use these forums...would be interesting to see what their response would be on the matter.
    I think you guys are both missing the point - He's just talking about up selling in general.
    Respectfully,
    Mr. Terrence

Quote Originally Posted by pilsentico View Post
    so you say that everything is ok network, price, hardware, but just because you don't pay for the service you leave a bad review?
    You clearly didn't read the opening post.

12 hours, server is still down... nothing from singlehop. Made manual paypal payment 12 hours ago and called singlehop. He said he didn't have the authorization to turn on the server. Really not happy.

Quote Originally Posted by THAMAN View Post
    I think you guys are both missing the point - He's just talking about up selling in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by whdev View Post
    12 hours, server is still down... nothing from singlehop. Made manual paypal payment 12 hours ago and called singlehop. He said he didn't have the authorization to turn on the server. Really not happy.
    It is this I am referring to, the upselling part I think is mainly a bugbearer...The op is attempting to get a problem resolved but gets the impression that it will come at a cost. The issue still remains though.
    Web Trade Pro - The only web hosting you'll ever need...EVER...
    █ 100s Auto Install Scripts for Blogs, Forums, Shopping Carts and Billing Systems
    Email sales@webtradepro.com and find out more!

Web Trade Pro Ltd | United Kingdom - Manchester | Company No. 07763352

We take suspension issues very seriously because we know that its extremely disruptive to our customers. That said we will gladly review what the circumstances surrounding the OP suspension and track down why they were unable to log in.

As per the focus of our sales staff, I know that they are foremost looking to make sure that your hosted solution is working well at all times. If they sense that you may need help in a particular area they will of course suggest products or services that will make your experience better. Even so we will look into the op 's account and make sure that they were treated correctly. We don't like pushy sales either and I apologize that this seems to have been the case here.

Finally, if you are concerned that your servers may be turned off because an error in our system when you.are trying to pay, pease do call us. We want to get things sorted out asap to avoid issues like suspension. We have sales staff working 12 hours each day.
    Dan Salcedo
    VP Communications
    SingleHop, Inc.
    On Twitter- www.Twitter.com/Thinkbiz

Dan, thank you for taking your time to reply. I'm not so sure about the suspension part.

1) I got one payment invoice. There was no mention of suspension at all in that e-mail. No reminder. Nothing. Just suspension.
    2) Mentioned about the LEAP problem. Until now it's still not sorted. And I did told the staff to remind billing about the payment (I knew it's getting late, but I never thought suspension is coming). It was acknowledged. And yet it...

Who can be happy about 12 hours+ of downtime, especially when we already did notify singlehop upfront.

Hi whdev --

I just wanted to chime in and apologize for your experience. Is the server back online? If not please post or PM me the hostname and I'll make sure that it is unsuspended while this gets sorted.

Dan Ushman
    ---
    Dan Ushman
    Co-founder & CMO
    SingleHop, Inc.

Thank you Dan Ushman. Server's back online. Having conversation with singlehop staffs now. Will keep everyone updated.

Issue resolved. So here's how it ends:

1. They brought our server up. LEAP issue was resolved in a matter of minutes. Why it took them a few minutes to resolve the LEAP problem today baffled us (they took a whole yesterday and yet unable to resolve this yesterday?). **Told them if the LEAP issue was solved promptly yesterday, we could've avoided this downtime.**

2. Support acknowledged that it was their fault (support didn't follow up regarding the LEAP issue, LEAP having issues sometimes, new employee that didn't know the procedure prior to suspension ).

3. We asked for compensation, was offered $69 credit. Told them it wasn't sufficient.

4. After consulting with their manager, they said they couldn't offer more because typically Singlehop suspends after 3 days, saying that "**if we have paid on time this issue could've avoided**". (felt like it's our problem again)

5. Had to explain to them again that we wanted to pay on time but couldn't due to LEAP login problems. And we did notify them via e-mail, live chat leave a message and again in live chat yesterday. Was told they couldn't find the messages .

6. Offered a $138 credit. Decided that while the downtime cost us a lot more than that, it's not worth to continue so accepted the credit.

Frankly, the amount of credit didn't matter as much as the confidence that we need to have on a webhost like Singlehop. We never had such an experience before with Gigenet / Softlayer. Initially we were happy that singlehop accepted that it was their fault. It's when it sounds like it was our problem that we didn't feel right. Suspension should've been taken a lot more seriously. To be fair to Singlehop, this could be an once off issue. They do have good network and responds to their customers.

All in all, it's resolved, time to move on.
    Last edited by whdev; 01-27-2011 at 12:58 PM.

Glad to hear this has been resolved.

thank for info.

Thanks for updating - unfortunate this happened but good that it's taken care of.
    TheHostGenie.com
    cPanel | Softaculous | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS | Dedicated
    sales@thehostgenie.com