NIC vs Integrated Desktop Motherboard

Hi,

I have a MSI desktop motherboard in a 1U case with a gigabit chipset. I've had a few problems with it like the connection going out when you download a file from it (flow control and green mode was disabled along with TCP offload) but after changing a few settings it was fine.

Would getting an Intel NIC gigabit adapter change anything? If it reduced latency or increased speed, I would consider that a profitable benefit. I know that NICs are not necessary for server motherboards because they are top-quality to begin with but I am doubtful of desktop motherboard network chipsets.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. I am also looking at this NIC.

If the onboard NIC is a Realtek or Broadcom chipset, an Intel NIC will hold up to much more abuse under heavy loads. Generally onboard NIC's are not very good unless they are a real Intel chipset.

I'd also make sure your BIOS is set to optimized vs. performance and make sure everything is flashed current. As well as latest drivers if available.

Get a server grade Intel NIC, the overall performance will be better.
    ReliableSite.Net LLC - Offering Enterprise Grade Dedicated Servers Since 2006 [New York City metro / Miami, FL / Los Angeles, CA]
    Customers are our #1 priority - Read Our Reviews
    Need epic pricing on 1G and 10G unmetered? We have amazing deals and a 10 minute setup time! Click here to view incredible deals.

The onboard is a Realtek chipset. So I guess I will be getting the Intel NIC. Thanks.

If the driver is good you won't have issues with most 'cheap' NICs below the 500Mbps mark. It's really a crap shoot though, unless you've done testing and know the limits of the particular chipset and OS/driver combination. Generally I stick with Intel for the insurance that it's going to work well regardless of OS/driver, not so much for the performance potential.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters