View Poll Results: Which server has the Best processor with RAM and bandwidth ?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 3.3GHz - Hostgator Pro Dedicated Server - 374$

0 0%
  • Dual 5520 Quad-Core Xeon 2.26GHz with HT, 24GB, 2 x 500GB, RAID 1, 10TB - Hivelocity Specials - 220$

6 54.55%
  • Intel Dual E5-2630 - 100tb = 409- 480$

1 9.09%
  • Dual Intel Xeon E5-2620 - Gorilla servers = 199 - 250$

4 36.36%

Dual Quad-Core 5520 2.26GHz or E-3 1230 v2 3.3 ghz

Hello,

I am currently on Hostgator Pro dedicated server which is Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 3.3GHz

When i see server information in whm it says 8 processors of 3.3 ghz each and 4096 cache

when i talk their support they say it is single processor with 4 cores only, so how come there it is written as 8 processors and not 4 cores, i don't understand.

Which has made me think that may be i need quad processor server with 8 core each from liquidweb.com - but they are too expensive.
    Now I came across this server here Dual 5520 Quad-Core Xeon 2.26GHz with HT & Turbo, 24GB RAM, 2 x 500GB Sata, RAID 1, IMPI, 10TB

first server on this page.

So tell me which one is better for me, if i am not satisfied with hostgator dedicated server.

I am giving other options in poll also, to have a look.

It has hyperthreading. The extra 4 cores are "virtual" cores. You only have 4 physical, real, actual cores.
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

What do you use the server for? Having more CPUs is not always the best option. Sometimes having fewer CPUs that are faster will give you better results.

In most cases, RAM and HDDs will play a bigger factor, so please post the rest of your server specs along with that.
    TailorMadeServers.Com - Dallas Dedicated Servers since 2003
    joseq@tailormadeservers.com | Skype (TailorMadeServers) | http://twitter.com/tailoredservers

Quote Originally Posted by TMS - JoseQ View Post
    What do you use the server for? Having more CPUs is not always the best option. Sometimes having fewer CPUs that are faster will give you better results.

In most cases, RAM and HDDs will play a bigger factor, so please post the rest of your server specs along with that.
    I host forum and a small image hosting site - at hostgator i have 16gbddr3 and 1tb raid 1 drives

do you think if i will have ssd then it is better ?

Go with Dual 5520. It beats Xeon E3-1230 V2 3.3GHz.
    KamHost.com - Reliable web hosting service

Both are great machines, and if everything is running smoothly currently it is hard to suggest moving. However if you are looking to move, the Dual E5520 machine is a solid value.
    Rob Hivelocity
    Home of the best cPanel pricing
    www.Hivelocity.net Datacenters in Chicago, Dallas, New York, Los Angeles, Seattle, Atlanta, Tampa, Miami, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Singapore, India!

Quote Originally Posted by blapage View Post
    I host forum and a small image hosting site - at hostgator i have 16gbddr3 and 1tb raid 1 drives

do you think if i will have ssd then it is better ?
    I doubt your CPU has anything to do with your load then.
    You are more than likely running low on memory or I/O (HDD) performance.
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

Quote Originally Posted by backupgreen View Post
    Go with Dual 5520. It beats Xeon E3-1230 V2 3.3GHz.
    From what I'm looking at, the Dual 5520 gets smashed by the single 1230. Even though those are synthetic benchmarks. The mere fact that a single CPU can smash a two CPU system that bad says a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrike View Post
    From what I'm looking at, the Dual 5520 gets smashed by the single 1230. Even though those are synthetic benchmarks. The mere fact that a single CPU can smash a two CPU system that bad says a lot.
    Thanks for the table

Thanks for the table
    Definitely not a problem, it comes in handy when you need a raw comparison to make a better decision on a CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrike View Post
    And the same table shows that AMD Opteron 6272 is faster than 6274, Intel E5-2670 faster than E5-2680, etc. Makes you wonder if these benchmarks are trustworthy at all.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

Quote Originally Posted by FHDave View Post
    And the same table shows that AMD Opteron 6272 is faster than 6274, Intel E5-2670 faster than E5-2680, etc. Makes you wonder if these benchmarks are trustworthy at all.
    Which is why I mentioned that they are synthetic benchmarks. As such are meant to be used as a "guide." Because none of these stats account for overclocked units, only model #.

The comparison I made between the two setups, has such a HUGE gap it was worth noting.

now what ?

No idea what "synthetic" (as opposed to "organic"?) benchmark means ...

Quote Originally Posted by FHDave View Post
    No idea what "synthetic" (as opposed to "organic"?) benchmark means ...
    Wiki can answer that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiki
    Benchmarks are designed to mimic a particular type of workload on a component or system. Synthetic benchmarks do this by specially created programs that impose the workload on the component. Application benchmarks run real-world programs on the system. While application benchmarks usually give a much better measure of real-world performance on a given system, synthetic benchmarks are useful for testing individual components, like a hard disk or networking device.

Good find. Thanks.

please vote if Dual Quad core 5520 2.6ghz is better than e-3 1230 3.3 ghz

please vote if Dual Quad core 5520 2.6ghz is better than e-3 1230 3.3 ghz
    As has already been suggested, this isn't a black & white issue of "which one is better". These are both solid machines, and both would be great on their own. Either should handle a forum and more with little effort. As has also been stated, your RAM and disk I/O will likely become a bottleneck long before either CPU.
    Affordable web hosting, design, & domain registration services since 2001
    www.serve-you.net

I'd also add that you're paying about 2x more than you need to for that 1230 v2. Search the offers section, and you'll find that just about every provider sells these for ~$200 or less depending on the disk/ram config, and of course the provider. Not that I'm in any way recommending them, but OVH sells an even beefier config for under $100.
    Affordable web hosting, design, & domain registration services since 2001
    www.serve-you.net