Thread: SSL Question

SSL Question

Anyone know of a SSL security KEY you can IMPORT ON YOUR BROWSER to give you 100% security on every page????? (So the lock shows up on every page)

Im kinda being sniffed by hackers and i wanna TRY and get away from them if i can...........

I would think there has gotta be a LOCAL key you can import to do this.......

Thanx all,

The Dude

That would be impossible. If the server is not expecting a SSL connection, having a local one will not iniatiate it on the server side.

At least that's what I think.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Well,

If i can stop them from sniffing between ME and the NET,that would be good to........(Im on cable modem now,but still they may be able to sniff there somehow,i dunno,im just looking for answers!!)

Thanx

The Dude

In order to have a secure connection, both local user and server must perform the encryption/decryption. Where are you concerned about being packet sniffed? Between you and your ISP? Between your ISP and the server?
    Ben Lucier, Community Guy for Tucows & OpenSRS
    OpenSRS: Reseller friendly domains, e-mail and SSL certificates
    My Blog | Twitter

If you are concerned of your connection between you and your ISP, you can always use a SSH tunnel.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]

Well,

I really need to get off the ISp im on,but seeing as my parants are paying for it,its not too likely

An SSH tunnel would be good...

YES,i wanna encrypt everything somehow less going to a new ISP....

Not that big a deal,but i thought there would be a way to do it......

The Dude

Thanx guys

There is a way...SSH tunneling...just get any SSH friendly host and you are all set up.

There is a way...SSH tunneling...just get any SSH friendly host and you are all set up.

I see. Well, in order to encrypt the information (as per previous post), both the server and the local computer must support the encryption methods. So... if you had a server setup on the Internet for example, you could setup a secure connection to that server (using a variety of methods) and then use that point as your jump off point. This would encrypt data between you and your ISP all the way up to the server providing the tunnel.

But... after the connection leaves that server, your data is not encrypted.

Example:
    You work for a company who provides secure access. You're from home and you connect into the office. Your connection is secure from your house all the way to your office. However, if you decide to access informaiton outside of your office, (say... visit Yahoo or Microsoft), then somebody could look at the information between your office and that server.

I drew a pic and attached it for you. Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails secure diagram.jpg  
    My Blog | Twitter

What he could do though, is tunnel to a proxy server he has setup somewhere... Wouldn't that work?

Er... Ignore me. I am tired
    Dan Sheppard ~ Freelance whatever

Yes. That's kind of what my last post described. Sometimes though (not all) proxy servers redirect traffic and don't necessarily encrypt it. You could replace the VPN server in my diagram on the previous post with a Proxy server and the same idea would apply. That is... as long as the proxy server is using encryption.
    My Blog | Twitter

I think the best idea is to ssh tunnel to another machine outside of your ISP. Thus securing the traffic you are sending/receiving on your local ISP.
    Paradox Web Hosting - codyw@paradox-group.com
    - Shared and Dedicated Hosting Solutions: www.paradoxwebhosting.com
    - Auto Sales Manager 2004 now available!: www.autosalesmanager.com

If he's connected to his ISP, then connecting to an alternate location will still put him through the gateway of the ISP, no matter what.
    My Blog | Twitter

Yes, but if he is ssh tunnelling into another server/proxy, and surfs from there, the hackers sniffing his connection will only see the encrypted traffic coming to/from him and the proxy, as unencrypted data will be passed from the proxy to him via the ssh tunnel which is encrypted.

Right. See my previous post with diagram.
    My Blog | Twitter

Sounds all confusing (hehehe)

Im not lame,just unexperienced i guess......

How would i get a SSH tunnel setup???????

Thanx again,your all wonderfull,

The Dude

Does anyone know how to force the modem (CABLE MODEM) to take a different path???? (Change ISP,Ips....)

I desperatly need to get off this isp!!!!!! If someone knows something i dont about changing how the modem goes over roadrunner,please PM me if you dont wanna discuss it openly.......

Thanx,

The Dude

You can't. The cable connection you're on belongs to the cable company. I'm starting to get curious about the problems you're having with your ISP. Remember, that it's *VERY* difficult to be anonymous on the Internet regardless who you're ISP is. What are you doing that has your ISP so interested in you?
    My Blog | Twitter

Not my ISP...HACKERS!!!!!!!!

I dont wanna get into it,i dont want this site bieng affected by this crap........THEY ARE BEING DEALT WITH,lets leave it @ that.......

The Dude