Question What is the polite thing to say when...

What do you say when you meet someone you haven't met before and you're goint to do business or something like that?

In school we were told the "the English", (the British), said "How do you do?" when they met, and that the polite answer was "How do you do?" back. That didn't really make any sence to me, but in school... you say what the teacher want's you to say, or your grades go down.

I think the American/US way would be something along the lines of "How are you?", but I don't know what the respons would be.

In Australia they say "G'day", and that's exactly, appart from the prononciation, that we say in Sweden.

So... if you meet someone at a business meeting that you've never met before, what do you say, and what is the proper respons? British, US, and Australian versions, please.
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard

When shaking their hand for the first time I usually say "Hi, it is nice meeting you". Or "Hi, it is a pleasure to meet you". or something similar. I think you can that way get the same response back rather than the two of you asking questions that never get answered.

Originally posted by JeremyV
    "Hi, it is nice meeting you
    That's always been the winner in my book. Simple, polite, and to the point.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

umm im in Britain and we dont say that over here... if it was a friend/casual that i havent met before id shake hand or just nod and say "alright, what about ya" and wouldnt expect an answer.

If it was business, I would shake hand and say nice to meet you, then make a comment about there business/building/suit/ the weather.
    http://www.STX-Hosting.com
    .:: Professional Web-Hosting ::.
    .:: Top Dedicated Support !!! ::.
    .:: MSN@STX-Hosting.com ::.

"Hi I am Rob and who the **** are you?"

(joke)

"Waaaazzzzzzup!?"
    I thank my Lord for all His wonderful blessings.

"There's a sign out front that says Lou's Tavern. I'm f*ckin' Lou. Who the f*ck are you?"

-Fight Club
    Lead Designer @ SingleHop

"G'day, pleased to meet you "

"me too"

Originally posted by fabrikated
    "There's a sign out front that says Lou's Tavern. I'm f*ckin' Lou. Who the f*ck are you?"

-Fight Club
    Good Film! Prehaps one of the best after triple X and Matrix
    Adam Heavens
    Server Centre Limited (www.servercentre.net)
    Exchange 2007 Hosting, Windows/Linux Hosting

Just say "Hello" and Smile genuinely as you shake their hand. When I was first in America (I'm British) I was abit...annoyed...by the way everyone went "Hi! How are you?" then didn't actually expect an answer.

Usually when people ask me that I say "Not too bad, yourself?" Catches a few people out not expecting to have to answer themselves.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Its a pleasure to meet you, accompanied by a firm handshake and a confident smile for a bloke (bloke also gets sir appended)and a gentler handshake for a lady.
    some business associates i already know quite well get the same as most of my friends do, a hug and a 'its great to see you again'. i believe in presenting a professional image, i like to convey i know what im doing, but i also like to convey my personality mixed in with that.

edit: should add im a brit with a very formal education and upbringing mixed with a lot of advanced experience in work at a young age, i was a researcher for a petro chemicals plant at 17 so i learned how to earn the respect of elders and superiors and how to conduct myself in a proper fashion. i also learned how to tear people apart with words when i worked shifts with the process workers lol.
    Last edited by richy; 10-31-2002 at 08:20 PM.
    --
    Rich

Fine, thank you. And you?

That's the generic answer I normally use.

For business, I would go:

Reach For Handshake.
    Say "Hi, my name is Adam Ferree, i'm with blah blah, hows it going?"

Just kind of laid back, but still professional.

For my friends, its:

SOCK in the chest.
    hostVentura
    adam.ferree@gmail.com
    AIM: windsofnihility

Just do it the French way and kiss three times on the cheeks (left, right, left)

g'day mate - how ya going orright?

It's an Aussie thing
    Web Hosting since 1999

It depends. At work, if a new lawyer is there, I shake their hand and say something like "Hi, Im Brian, I handle computer issues for lawyers in Bronx and Nassau counties as well as helping out the paralegals with their files".

If its a friend of a friend I just say "Hi".

"Hey, How are we today?"
    And End it with.
    "It was wonderful meeting you.... "

Remember the smile (broader the better) is very important. Smile is a universal stuff....

Have a nice day

Regards
    Amar
    A student once asked his teacher, "Master, what is enlightenment?"
    The master replied, "When hungry, eat. When tired, sleep. When you need care, come to bobcares....
    https://bobcares.in

Thanks for all your great answers!

My boss asked me, and even if I ususally know exactly what to respond in real life when I meet someone, the abstractness of the question made me think. And because he was my boss, I knew I had to find some polite business ways, and I've never really been in that situation.

I know his english isn't very good, and I'm sure anyone would forgive him from saying the wrong thing, based on his accent "screaming" foreigner. I, on the other hand, really have to watch myself, for most people when they hear me speak english asumes it's my language, and not something I just learned in school. I got some really odd looks when I was living in England and didn't know what some things were called. And someone said he thought I was Irish, so I guess the touch of scanian dialect makes my english sound like that.
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard

Actually the lingo is really different in places... Once nice example...

Restroom - bathroom in US. Place for resting in other parts...

Amar
    A student once asked his teacher, "Master, what is enlightenment?"
    The master replied, "When hungry, eat. When tired, sleep. When you need care, come to bobcares....
    https://bobcares.in