Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs down Servage.net - deleting files without notice. Lost almost 100 GB twice

I have a hosting account with servage.net, and I use the disk space to store my backup files. I use around 200 GB of disk space.
    The first time my files were deleted was in February (the 24). Not all of my files were deleted, but my largest directory with all of my photo backup files (almost 100 GB) was gone.
    I opened a ticket and got this reply from support:

Feb 24 - 12:42 GMT, Servage - Nick
    Hello Kenneth,
    We are sorry to hear about your issue.
    We haven't deleted anything on your account. Please check whether you are not sharing your ftp or admin panel logins to others.
    also check all the file/folder permission.
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Nick, Servage Hosting
    I do not share the account with anybody, and only I have the password to the account. But I did change the password to be sure, and uploaded all the files once more. Since I only have a 2mbit outgoing connection, it’s take several days to upload all the files.
    I have had little problems since that, and when I went away for almost 20 days, all my backup files where OK. But when I check today, I saw that almost 100 GB of my files was gone. Most of my folders are still in place, but my photo backup folder, and some of my VPS backup folders are gone, for the second time.
    I have not got any mail or notice that they want to delete my files, or anything like that. In fact, my first support ticket to servage.net was about I’m using my disk space to store backup files:

Jan 23 - 14:13 GMT
    Customer
    Hello.

I signed up for an account today, and have started to transffer my files.

I have look at your TOS and AUP and can not see any restriction against large backup files. I will use your server to store a "live" backup of one or two of my personal websites, and to store backup files from my VPS and my orginal photos (raw images). It's my backup of my images files who take much space. Today it's around 70 GB.

I have used different services in the USA the last years. But since I live in Norway, a server in Europe are the best if I think speeds.

I will not use much bandwith after I have uploaded the backup files. Only when I upload new backups. And if I ever need to download the files.

Before I close my US based accounts (I use BQ backup, Dreamhost and Godaddy.com), I want a reply from you telling me that my use of your space are OK, and you will not close my account if I only use it for what I have described over.

Have a good day, sincerely

Kenneth Myhre
    And here is the reply from servage.net:

Jan 23 - 14:18 GMT
    Servage - Nick
    Hello Kenneth,

You can use your full disk space for that.
    Thank you:-)

Kind regards,
    Nick, Servage Hosting
    It' seems like they are trying to get me to leave, since I'm using so much diskspace. Since nobody beside me has the password to the account, I belive that: 1. They are deleting my files, and do not tell me that they want me to leave them. Or 2. They have big problems with their server, since folders are deleted withou anybody telling the customers.
    My Top 20 benchmark list (and review site)
    Powered by: Kimsufi, backed up by: Hetzner, DigitalOcean and Vultr.com
    Also using
    SolaDrive.com (56+ months), KnownHost.com (56+ months)
      0 Not allowed!

Kenneth,

Some providers do resort to drastic measures in order to reduce usage. This isn't as uncommon as one would think in the web hosting industry at a large number of 'oversellers'.

Is it wrong? Most definitely.
    But at the same time expecting 100 gigabytes or more of storage for that price is just as wrong. I'm not excusing their actions but try to pick more realistic packages.

If you need backup space get it from someone like bqbackup.com, not an overselling host.

(And if Gene Steinberg enters the thread later to bash my use of the term 'overselling', I've worked at more providers than he's been a client at )
      0 Not allowed!

I've heard of this happening before on Servage, but this was a while ago. That's quite odd. This is just further proof, in my opinion, why not to buy oversold hosting: unless you enjoy uploading - Good luck to you dude. Let's hope it doesn't happen again.
    // Extra Moose - Modern Web Design with Usability in mind.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Slip7-Omega View Post
    I've heard of this happening before on Servage, but this was a while ago. That's quite odd. This is just further proof, in my opinion, why not to buy oversold hosting: unless you enjoy uploading - Good luck to you dude. Let's hope it doesn't happen again.

I will not upload the files to servage.net anymore. If they don't have backup, I'm finnish using them and I will cancel my account.

I used Bqbackup before, and will most likely signup with them soon.
    Also using
      0 Not allowed!

No offence, but servage.net oversell completely. Remember 'you get what you pay for'
      0 Not allowed!

Are you really, REALLY sure the files are deleted? Perhaps it's a permission problem so you can't see the files anymore through FTP. Let them make a printout of your files through SSH, to be sure.

On the other hand, I've never experienced such a rotten setup as servage's, because PHP and MySQL keeps on crashing, files get weird after uploading them, caches in CMS's are not cleaned and refilled properly, FTP connections sometimes just refuse etc etc. I used to use Servage hosting for devving websites of clients, but nowadays they just seem to suck with their overcrowded (hey Gene, I didn't say oversold) servers and slow connections.

So, triplecheck if your files are really gone and pack your bags and move to a more reliable backup service. A LOT of WHT members recommend BQBackup, but i haven't had any personal experience with them. I use HostGator for my backups since a few weeks and its seem to be working great so far, but it's not truly safe to backup files to a shared hosting environment.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom` View Post
    No offence, but servage.net oversell completely. Remember 'you get what you pay for'
    But deleting files without telling, and deny when I ask?? I can understand if they want me to leave etc, but why do they not tell me that. I understand that I only pay around $10/mo for their services and they are overselling.

edit:
    amygdela: Yes I'm sure. The reson that I discovered that my files has been deleted both time is because I look at my disk usage. And my diskusage has gone from 200 GB to 98 GB.
    Last edited by myhken; 05-24-2007 at 06:00 AM.
    Also using
      0 Not allowed!

true

Quote Originally Posted by myhken View Post
    I have a hosting account with servage.net, and I use the disk space to store my backup files. I use around 200 GB of disk space.
    The first time my files were deleted was in February (the 24). Not all of my files were deleted, but my largest directory with all of my photo backup files (almost 100 GB) was gone.
    I opened a ticket and got this reply from support:

I do not share the account with anybody, and only I have the password to the account. But I did change the password to be sure, and uploaded all the files once more. Since I only have a 2mbit outgoing connection, it’s take several days to upload all the files.
    I have had little problems since that, and when I went away for almost 20 days, all my backup files where OK. But when I check today, I saw that almost 100 GB of my files was gone. Most of my folders are still in place, but my photo backup folder, and some of my VPS backup folders are gone, for the second time.
    I have not got any mail or notice that they want to delete my files, or anything like that. In fact, my first support ticket to servage.net was about I’m using my disk space to store backup files:

And here is the reply from servage.net:

It' seems like they are trying to get me to leave, since I'm using so much diskspace. Since nobody beside me has the password to the account, I belive that: 1. They are deleting my files, and do not tell me that they want me to leave them. Or 2. They have big problems with their server, since folders are deleted withou anybody telling the customers.

Yeah this is the reality about so called big hosts who is providing shared hosting with package of 200 GB space 2000 GB bandwidth, when you are really about to use more than 50% of your package, that's what they do.

somebody in other thread was saying about this same situation, but he was asking to do something with those host.

here is example what they do when it comes to use all package

Stay away from heavy packages or unlimited thing, that's what i know, go for what you need.

what i mean is if you need only 10 GB space and 50 GB bandwidth why to choose such hosts.

We must understand that we get what we pay.(Nobody is going to close their business so these are just trick to attract newbies and jump starter in hosting space purchasing)

Regards
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by myhken View Post
    Could you please let me know your customer ID, domain or something else that I can use to indentify your account?

This way I can check the issue for you. We do of cause not delete files without any reason.

Thanks.
    Steffan,
    Servage.net | Affordable Clustered Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Kenneth,

Some providers do resort to drastic measures in order to reduce usage. This isn't as uncommon as one would think in the web hosting industry at a large number of 'oversellers'.

Is it wrong? Most definitely.
    But at the same time expecting 100 gigabytes or more of storage for that price is just as wrong. I'm not excusing their actions but try to pick more realistic packages.

If you need backup space get it from someone like bqbackup.com, not an overselling host.

(And if Gene Steinberg enters the thread later to bash my use of the term 'overselling', I've worked at more providers than he's been a client at )
    Listen, the issue of overselling isn't responsible for the loss of those files, if you can accept the comment from the Servage rep who wants to examine the issue.

I have never used that service. If you have worked for them and have personal experience, of course, feel free to chime in.
    Best,
    Captain Marvel
    Host/Executive Producer, The Paracast, www.theparacast.com
    I do not represent the hosting industry!
      0 Not allowed!

Ethics in hosting?
      0 Not allowed!

It's a small company that was sold for 1.5M euros and may not be profitable with 20k customers (thats only 130k/month to cover hosting bills, office, staff, pay German taxes and so on), so stay away from them. Its not surprising that they delete files or accounts from time to time. Its been going on since they started offering their mega package, and almost on a daily basis we have got some Servage client complaining about this problem. There are only 2 solutions to solve the issue: they either stop overselling massively their hosting resources or they shut down their business.
    God Bless American Web Hosting Industry
      0 Not allowed!

There are times when a Hoster has automatic scripts that check for certain file types and delete them - immediately. This is for security reasons and/or not allowed file formats.

Might want to ask if this is the case with your Hoster.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by rosebud9843 View Post
    It's a small company that was sold for 1.5M euros and may not be profitable with 20k customers (thats only 130k/month to cover hosting bills, office, staff, pay German taxes and so on), so stay away from them. Its not surprising that they delete files or accounts from time to time. Its been going on since they started offering their mega package, and almost on a daily basis we have got some Servage client complaining about this problem. There are only 2 solutions to solve the issue: they either stop overselling massively their hosting resources or they shut down their business.
    Maybe, but their site says something that's a little misleading. Of course, with a little over four sites per customer, maybe it's true.

"We currently host 92'786 websites and have plenty of room for yours too!"
    Best,
    Captain Marvel
    Host/Executive Producer, The Paracast, www.theparacast.com
    I do not represent the hosting industry!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Steinberg View Post
    "We currently host 92'786 websites and have plenty of room for yours too!"
    In one hour it's gone up to 92'798.

They DO make weekly backups but they cannot restore individual accounts. (Past Experience)
      0 Not allowed!

wow, we are in the same situation. i've used servage for almost a year now and right at the start im missing one or two folders. but i said to myself that is fine one or two folders isnt a big deal. but a week ago, i was surprised to see that im missing my whole directory. everything is gone! it's probably around 30-50 gb. so i contacted servage and they said:

If you are missing a folder for 4th or 5th time, then it is very likely that someone other than you are aware of your password. Kindly change the passwords immediately. Also check your machine thoroughly.

We have not removed any file from your account. If we ever remove any folder from your account, we will let you know immediately why we deleted the folder. None from our end has touched your account.
    i am the only one who has access to the main account and im not a computer or internet novice so im pretty sure that no one else knows my password (i also change it every now and then). so i told them that and here's their reply:

I have investigated further and found that your homedir was missing. I couldnot find any reasons for it but I admit that the issue was on our end. I have recreated your homedir but the data is lost. Kindly reupload the contents again.

Thank you for your understanding.
    im really frustrated with the answer. i mean, i would accept it if they told me: "you're uploading too much stuff, so we decided to delete your dir" or some honest answer. but saying that "you cant find any reason why it was deleted" confirms that servage is very UNreliable.

is it impossible to trace missing directories in a clustered server?

P.S.

i also have another online buddy that uses servage. about a month ago, his whole directory was deleted too and servage also said they didn't touch it.
    Last edited by Spiritua; 05-24-2007 at 10:28 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Please keep up posted on this issue! It is important for potential clients of Servage to get to know about such events.

If the Servage support says that they didn't delete your files and they did disappear someone is either lying or the files were lost without the hosting provider, Servage in this case, knowing so.

I'd say that the later mentioned is perhaps the most serious of the above mentioned.
      0 Not allowed!

Disgruntled Employee?
    Horrible Company Policy?

Whatever it is this is obviously not an isolated incident and it would be nice to see servage take some action other than asking customers to re-upload their data.

Without some sort of actual resolution who is to say that it's not going to happen again next week?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by john90 View Post
    In one hour it's gone up to 92'798.

They DO make weekly backups but they cannot restore individual accounts. (Past Experience)
    Weekly backups? I hope this is not correct (can Steffen comment on this issue?)
      0 Not allowed!

Kenneth,
    Check out the Grid Service by MediaTemple - 100GB Storage and 1TB Bandwidth and it's not an oversell. I just bought one to play around with and host my blog on.
    // Extra Moose - Modern Web Design with Usability in mind.
      0 Not allowed!

Oops! I'm sorry I thought they told me weekly. I double checked my tickets with them.

This was there response to the ticket if your interested.

We do make whole system back ups but we can unfortunately not offer to restore single files or accounts. We therefore recommend that you make your own back for both web site content and database.

Again I do apologize I should have checked before I posted.
      0 Not allowed!

Kenneth,
    Check out the Grid Service by MediaTemple - 100GB Storage and 1TB Bandwidth and it's not an oversell. I just bought one to play around with and host my blog on.
    I'm sure you'll get comments on that and very soon!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by john90 View Post
    This was there response to the ticket if your interested.

We do make whole system back ups but we can unfortunately not offer to restore single files or accounts. We therefore recommend that you make your own back for both web site content and database.
    Then what's the use of backups if they can't restore data for the individual users?!
      0 Not allowed!

Kenneth,
    Check out the Grid Service by MediaTemple - 100GB Storage and 1TB Bandwidth and it's not an oversell.
    They must be loaded with cash then.

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    Then what's the use of backups if they can't restore data for the individual users?!
    Beats me That was what made me make my final decision to find another host.
    Last edited by john90; 05-24-2007 at 02:15 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Kenneth,

Are you kidding?? !
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast