Best Inexpensive Host with Dedicated IP

I'm looking for the best host with a plan for under $15/month (I'll pay annually if I have to) that assigns a dedicated IP address to the domain. Only need 1 pop account (fo now).

The dedicated IP improves our search engine rankings and more importantly we like to be able to use the generic mail2web.com service to get our mail and most the services I have tries (Superb, Hostway, etc.) make you use e-mail aliases so your pop login ID doesn't match your e-mail address. (i.e. address is info@mydomain.com but you have to login to mail2web with something-info@mydomain.com or inf%mydomain.com@mydomain.com which means the default return address is all screwed up when you use this service to send mail)

Also looking for someone that isn't a reseller and has a good web control panel.

Any suggestions? We are using an Alabanza reseller right now and although their control panel looks a little dated, it has all the features we want AND assigns a dedicated IP. Problem is we don't like their router performance at their data center, a lot of dropped packets.

InternetPlanners.com

These guys are really cheap and have a static IP. In addition, before my site out grew their services, I had only had down time once in almost an year and it was for a couple hours.

Their support sucks and their sales people are evil. But if you want cheap rates and reliability for 1 POP account, this is a good webhost.

gemstream.com

gemstream.com has good offers and their support is ok.
    I've a few accounts with them since over a year and didn't had any problems. Uptime is also ok (their server/s are within the Alabanza network, but never had problems).

gearhost.com

I think they do it..

Hi,

You might want to include your space/bandwidth req. and post this in the requests forum - so that hosts can contact you with offers.

Also, instead of using web2mail - what about just going with a host that offers Webmail? Most do, as far as I know.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Wouldn't it be better for you to sign up with a host that offers webmail as a feature, instead of going thru a 3rd party like mail2web for it?
    Hostit365.com - Reliable Web Hosting with magical support
    cPanel #1 Web Hosting Control Panel Included
    WHT members benefit from our industry leading 60 day money back guarantee with no small print
    Now accepting PayPal™ - Click here to order now

I don't like to make webmail a requirement as it is easier of my clients (who aren't techies) if they get use to using one mail interface and do not have to switch should we switch hosting services in the future. And they way things go with many of these hosts, switching is not all that uncommon as many of you know.

Also, as I mentioned, having an exclusive IP address for the web site significantly improves search rankings on many search sites.

What I have found is if you get your own IP then you don't have to use mail aliases. Most of these big companies like Hostway are trying to milk their IP alotment for all it is worth and make a decent profit, so they use host header redirection to host multiple domains on one IP. I don't blame them for doing it but it is NOT what I want. And if they do offer an exclusive IP, it is a lot more expensive than $15.

Originally posted by jcrist
    I don't like to make webmail a requirement as it is easier of my clients (who aren't techies) if they get use to using one mail interface and do not have to switch should we switch hosting services in the future. And they way things go with many of these hosts, switching is not all that uncommon as many of you know.
    What you could do is only choose hosts with a particular webmail program -- for example Neomail. That way, even if you have to move, your customers will never have to learn a new interface.

Unless you get a dedicated server, most hosting companies unfortunately will always have logins such as "you@yourdomain.com". The reason is that you can usually only have one instance of a login per server. If hosts simply had "you" as the email login, this could therefore cause problems. Take common email addresses such as "info", "sales" or "support" for example: only one client could have those addresses that way.
    WHT members benefit from our industry leading 60 day money back guarantee with no small print

Actually, the IP address should have little to do with the manner of username assignments in most cases...

Generally this is just a case of a *nix OS for shared hosting not permitting the same username to be used twice on the same machine. Therefore, if client A with abc.com set up a POP box called 'info' and got the 'info' username for it, client B on the same machine with def.com would have to then use a different username for their POP box and route the 'info' alias to it...

This should not have anything to do with whether the account has its own IP or not because it has to do with not allowing duplicate usernames on the same system even if they are on different domain accounts.

As for the search engine placement, yes, a unique IP can have an impact in that respect.
    -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    Crow

Thanks for the clarification, I sort of suspected something like that.

Well if Alabanza can bill hosts that allow duplicate pop account names for different domains on the same server, then others can do it to. The question is which ones?

Well if Alabanza can bill hosts that allow duplicate pop account names for different domains on the same server, then others can do it to. The question is which ones?
    By "Alabanza can bill hosts that allow dublicate pop accounts", do you mean that Alabanza allows many instances of the same login on one server?

If they do, it wouldn't really surprise me that much -- they have programmed their own custom server control panel systems, and I believe have modified the Linux distro which they use. Other hosts however can not purchase this unless they are using Alabanza servers in the Alabanza datacenter, so they can't realistically offer this.

Thanks for the clarification, I sort of suspected something like that.

I don't know of any host that CAN'T do that. It's standard.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Well there are shell accounts and then there are POP logins. I think most servers they are one in the same. But Alabanza has architected their systems so that one server can support duplicate pop logins for different domains on the same server (i.e., there can be info@companyA.com and info@companyB.com and both accounts use the login 'info' at their pop server mail.companyA.com or mail.companyB.com. The login doesn't have to have anything else except 'info'.)

They have managed to basically partition their POP servers for each domain. Since they assign individual IP addresses to each domain, the POP servers have their own IP address. This was why I thought the dedicated IP address was a *prerequisite* to being able to partition POP accounts like this.

It seems everyone else makes people use e-mail aliases (when there is a duplicate login already on the server) so that no two domains on the same server can use the same POP logins, they have to either include the full address 'info@companyb.com' when they login or something even more hokey than that.

If you really need that feature (which I don't understand, as most hosts provide a webmail system which is far superior to web2mail), I would recommend that you stay with Alabanza. I've never seen a web host, apart from Alabanza of course, which allows multiple instances of the exact same logins ("info" for example) on the same server.

I was just thinking, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I tried logging into Webmail and it poses the same problem as mail2web.com.

Say want an e-mail address info@mydomain.com by the info POP account is already taken by another domain on the server. So I have to create an account something-info@mydomain.com and then create a mail alias info@mydomain.com that points to that account.

When I login to webmail, I still use something-info as the login and when I go to create a new message, I thought I remember that the return address default is something-info@mydomain.com. This is what I'm REALLY trying to avoid. An no, I don't want to have to change the default return address everytime I send an e-mail.

This is why I want hosting with a POP server that is partitioned from the other domains' POP servers so I can use any account name I want.

Let me see if I have this right.

domainA uses mail.domainA.com as POP and SMTP

login is info
    pass is ******

domainB uses mail.domainB.com as POP and SMTP
    login is info
    pass is ******

rather than

login is info@domainA.com
    and
    login is info@domainB.com

If that's the case, I think you'll find it pretty common outside Alabanza. In fact I don't remember anywhere that doesn't use that.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Can someone please explain why having its own IP address can help a site's listing in search engines?

Thank you

* Opinions nobody asked for

As for email, I don't think most hosts use that method ("something-info@domain.com" with an alias). I use qmail for my MTA, which I think is widely used, and with either my webmail or pop3, you just use your full email address for the login and then the password for that POP3 mailbox. It doesn't matter what any other user on the server does. As Tina suggests, I am sure this is the standard, not the exception.

As for search engines giving preference to unique IPs, I bet that's an outdated tip, if it ever did have basis. IP space conservation is good and it would be foolish to promote sites that have a unique IP. Plus, a search engine can't tell a unique IP from a shared IP unless it finds a bunch of sites with the same IP, and that would just be extra overhead for little benefit. I suppose if the reverse DNS on the IP matches the site's domain you can tell, but how often is that the case anyway?

Hope some of this info helps you!
    Adam
    GetWebSpace.com
    Personal Life Timed Out Due To Inactivity

Aquasoft hosting (aquasoftcomputers.com) will give you your own IP address, web-based email with 5 POPS (you configure the addresses and user names yourself) and control panel. I have had 100% uptime on my site that is hosted by them, and service is excellent.