Exclamation I want to hot up my Xbox....any ideas?

I've got an Xbox and I want to hot it up. Any suggestions? I think i'm going to chuck in a mod chip, really big and fast hard disk, more RAM, faster CPU..... Is this going to be possible with the Xbox or will games stop working with a faster CPU etc.

Can I just treat it like a PC and beaf all of it up? Could I chuck in a SCSI card and run a 15,000 RPM hard drive on it......any ideas? I've never opened my Xbox up so I don't know what's in it

Last I heard, putting a mod chip in an Xbox was illegal.

This all sounds very illegal...however from a tech aspect..a scsi would be too hot, and would cause problems...in something like that only use 5400rpm.

I encourage you not to mod or make any modifications of microsoft's gaming console.
    Benoît Brookens III
    President - Dataracks, Inc.
    Dataracks.net | Ultra-Reliable Hosting.™

If you buy an xbox, you should be allowed to do whtever you want with it, if the mod chip where just a bios, then that is not iilegal, and I do not believe a mod chip itself is illegal, it is what you do after you have it that is, i.e. playing copied games that you rent for a day from blockbuster

If you wanted to mod it and just make it into a PC, it is your hardware, do with it what you want, just dont use illegal games.

I really think I can do what I want with hardware that I have purchased. I'm not really up to date with modding laws etc.

Blue, the 4 articles you posted said nothing about having mod chips illegal. Just the distribution was illegal, and if they were used unlawfully..

Personally I see nothing wrong with souping it up if you want it to run faster and what not..
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

mod chips are perfectly legal, they just void your warranty.
    There are many forums dedicated to xbox modding, Google is your friend!

If I was to (say) double the RAM in my Xbox would it improve anything? All the games for Xbox were designed for the standard amount of RAM installed, would the Xbox simply ignore any extra RAM I installed?

I cant really remember the inside of an xbox as i aint seen one for so long, but its not simply a plug in more RAM and play like a PC is - otherwise we would probably all run Xbox's instead of PC's
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

I think you can run Linux on them now... somebody was working on this.

Well from what I got from my Xbox TOS which I found in the box, is that even unscrewing the case and removing the cover is voiding your warranty.
    - 7de5igns

Originally posted by Trifolic
    Blue, the 4 articles you posted said nothing about having mod chips illegal. Just the distribution was illegal, and if they were used unlawfully..

Personally I see nothing wrong with souping it up if you want it to run faster and what not..
    With all do respect that is just BS semantics.
    In order for someone to posess one, someone else had to distribute it. By buying one you are participating in an illegal act no matter how you try to sugar coat it.

I'm sure that under DMCA, it would be illegal. Lots of stuff including network security appliances are illegal.

Telling people that you can defeat some CD copy-protection schemes by holding down the shift-key as you insert the CD is apparently illegal.

cleaver - you just commited an internet crime
    - 7de5igns

Originally posted by blue27
    With all do respect that is just BS semantics.
    In order for someone to posess one, someone else had to distribute it. By buying one you are participating in an illegal act no matter how you try to sugar coat it.
    All respect taken, I guess i didn't think about the general population. I've worked on circuit cards, and circuit boards, I've made my own, and jerry rigged alot of stuff in the past, including PS1's using parts from radioshack. I guess my point it someone has to make the thing in their garage or basement etc.. before a "professional" mod chip is made and put on a production line somewhere. And if you were to get the schemetics order the individual parts and hack the xbox yourself. I don't see anything wrong with that..
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

As far as I know, the use of mod chips is still legal in Australia. It is only the supply of the devices that is now prohibited.

Make your own mind up......
    Brad Baker
    XYZulu Hosting

will extra RAM make a difference?

Originally posted by Bub Host
    will extra RAM make a difference?
    First of all, can you even upgrade the RAM

Secondly, if it can the BIOS probably will not allow an upgrade of a companent like that.

Thirdly, if you can upgrade the RAM, it may be a modified slot for Xbox only, therefore you wont be able to buy it.

If after all that you can, then no it wont make a difference really, unless you are running Linux. The games are built and customized for the system, you are already pushing peak performance out of the nV20 and the rest of the kit. You certainly wont notice any graphical difference, i doubt you would notice much of a speed difference.
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

Originally posted by Sash!
    First of all, can you even upgrade the RAM

Secondly, if it can the BIOS probably will not allow an upgrade of a companent like that.

Thirdly, if you can upgrade the RAM, it may be a modified slot for Xbox only, therefore you wont be able to buy it.

If after all that you can, then no it wont make a difference really, unless you are running Linux. The games are built and customized for the system, you are already pushing peak performance out of the nV20 and the rest of the kit. You certainly wont notice any graphical difference, i doubt you would notice much of a speed difference.
    okay, I wont be hotting it up then....to much hassle