Could a blog with about 1k unique daily cause excessive Mysql usage ?

The question is like above. I just got my site suspended because the host said that my site was causing trouble. He gave my this log:
    Code:
    +--------+-----------------+-----------+-----------------+---------+-------+
    | Id     | User            | Host      | db              | Command | Time  |
    +--------+-----------------+-----------+-----------------+---------+-------+
    | 351407 | xxxxxx_xxx     | localhost | xxxxxx_xxx     | Sleep   | 942   |
    | 351864 | xxxxxx_xxx     | localhost | xxxxxx_xxx     | Sleep   | 840   |
    | 352290 | mailwatch       | localhost | mailscanner     | Sleep   | 8     |
    | 353244 | xxxxxx_xxx     | localhost | xxxxxx_xxx     | Sleep   | 434   |
    | 353555 | xxxxxx_xxx     | localhost | xxxxxx_xxx     | Sleep   | 350   |
    | 353592 | xxxxxx_xxx     | localhost | xxxxxx_xxx     | Sleep   | 340   |
    I don't know what this log means but it's a wordpress site with wp-cache turned on, so i don't think it could cause so much usage for the server.

That is a possibility but I would find it easier to believe that there may be some hung processes. Are you running any special plugins other than the caching plugin?

Is your site ok for all ages? Try posting the address and let us take a look...May could give you a better idea by seeing the layout etc.
    PeakVPN.Com | Complete Privacy VPN | Cloud Hosting | Guaranteed Security | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    PeakVPN | 31 VPN Servers | 17-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ PeakVPN.Com (Coming SOON) | ASN: 3915

Yes, i run some plugins like poll and embedded video (but the videos are actually hosted on video sharing site)

Sorry my site is suspended right now, you only see a cpanel suspend page there. It did run normally in the past. In fact i was quite happy with its speed.

This month traffic is about 14Gb.

Is that all your activity? 5 mysql connections in 15 minutes?
    How many posts per page do you have?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

15 posts per page.

Is 5 mysql connections in 15 min considered normal ? I have really no clue about system or mysql load

No that isn't bad...I think we're all confused why you would be suspended for such limited connectivity. Who is the provider? Have you asked for a more detailed explanation and whether they are going to allow you to try and correct the issue?
    PeakVPN.Com | Complete Privacy VPN | Cloud Hosting | Guaranteed Security | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    PeakVPN | 31 VPN Servers | 17-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ PeakVPN.Com (Coming SOON) | ASN: 3915

It depends. Some providers have very low usage limits for their shared users. If you're on one of those, you'll see suspensions for even minor spikes in traffic.

Smile

I am assuming you are using persistent connection? Those are sleeping processes in the mySQL process list and they don't do anything - not even executing any SQL so they shouldn't be the one contributed to the system usage.

If you get cutoff for 1k uniques per week you need to find another host. One of my slowest blogs does 4-5k uniques per week and no one bats an eye.

If you're not inclined to move, try optimizing your site by enabling a caching plugin to cut down the MySQL requests.

Since you're using WP, I highly doubt persistent connections are enabled, that would certainly be reason enough to suspend you (1 person could do enough damage with PC enabled by simply refreshing a number of times).

Quote Originally Posted by YUPAPA View Post
    I am assuming you are using persistent connection? Those are sleeping processes in the mySQL process list and they don't do anything - not even executing any SQL so they shouldn't be the one contributed to the system usage.
    exactly?

have you had any trouble over the last few weeks?

what was your traffic/bw like today? (or do you know?)

perhaps someone did something to your accnt? brute it and start abusing it or something?

i could see some issues if you had like 500 sleeping processes...... but that is just to few to cause issues.....

who is your host? or possible soon to be ex-host?

from how i read that log. i see no reason to suspend you.... that log shows nothing wrong imo.... maybe your host went or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Fixago View Post
    If you get cutoff for 1k uniques per week you need to find another host. One of my slowest blogs does 4-5k uniques per week and no one bats an eye.

If you're not inclined to move, try optimizing your site by enabling a caching plugin to cut down the MySQL requests.

Since you're using WP, I highly doubt persistent connections are enabled, that would certainly be reason enough to suspend you (1 person could do enough damage with PC enabled by simply refreshing a number of times).
    It's 1k unique per day. But my site just got that amount of traffic for 3 weeks.

Yes i did have WP-Cache because i knew my blog will grow fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by uberjon
    have you had any trouble over the last few weeks?
    No nothing. As i stated above, in overall i was happy with this host. Until this suspension.
    what was your traffic/bw like today? (or do you know?)
    My account was suspended so i cant give you the exact number but 14G for this month. Thus about 600-700Mb a day.
    perhaps someone did something to your accnt? brute it and start abusing it or something?
    I have no idea really. Maybe. But that's not the reason my host gave me anyway.
    who is your host? or possible soon to be ex-host?

from how i read that log. i see no reason to suspend you.... that log shows nothing wrong imo.... maybe your host went or something?
    I don't want to publicize the name of the host now. I want to solve the problem with him first.

The support went bad recently. At first everything was fine, my tickets got responded within 5 hours, what is acceptable for me. Yesterday i saw the suspension page on my account, i was like wtf, so i submitted the ticket and wait ... well 15 hours for this simple answer and the log above:
    We had to suspend your site because of excessive mysql usage, it was causing trouble
    No more explaination. And he closed the ticket. I must open a new ticket asking what is going on and if my site really caused trouble then give me access to db and files to move to another host. It was before i went to sleep and now i waked up with no answer.

At the beginning i thought going with a small host were a good idea, you get personal contact and if something wrong happens then you got informed first. Well, it was like that in the first month. But he wants to expand his business fast i guess, his promotion is running for 2 months now (i signed up through that promotion too, my mistake). And as you can see, things went wrong when the business is expanding too fast.

My question to the hosting providers in WHT is: If one of your customers causes the excessive usage that affects the server, would you suspend the site without any notice, or suspend it then send the customer an email, or give them some time to fix the issue ?

Yes, when your blog get lot of traffic all of the sudden.. you will utilise more than the usual resource on your host server. Try sort out a solution with your host.
    Affordable Managed Hosting Solutions for Professional & Business since 2001
    Mxhub.com - Global : USA - UK - Canada - Europe - Asia Pacific

Quote Originally Posted by myanlien View Post
    My question to the hosting providers in WHT is: If one of your customers causes the excessive usage that affects the server, would you suspend the site without any notice, or suspend it then send the customer an email, or give them some time to fix the issue ?
    actually as long as i havent went over my bw budget for the month. or something is actually "illegal" going on. i would expect them to email me 2x. once right away. then another 12 hours later. and wait 12 hours after that. then take action. (or better yet. call me!)

if your traffic hasnt increased very much/very fast. he could have given you ample warning weeks ago. instead of just suspending it!

No i would not call the traffic on my site is "lot of traffic all of the sudden". The traffic grows steadily over a month. It's absolute not any kind of dugg or slahsdotted. If it's like that then i would be very happy.

We have seen some of these happening, and before it gets crazy we contact the customer and try to solve the issue. This is what normally happens.

But we also had a customers where the guestbook was spammed with messages causing the system to slow down, we disabled this guestbook and contact the customer (once again no suspension).

And if we do not have another way, i.e. contacted the customer and other users are badly affected by your account, yes, we would suspend you. But i don't believe the suspension in your case is the bad part of your story, the lack of response to the created ticket is.

Try to talk it over with your host, ask him why support has been so slow, and how they will improve this service to you.

Good luck with your blog!
    Last edited by 040Hosting; 07-20-2007 at 08:22 AM. Reason: typo
    » cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    »
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

15 posts per page.

Is 5 mysql connections in 15 min considered normal ? I have really no clue about system or mysql load
    Try lowering the number of post per page to 5-7, that will helps too.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    Try lowering the number of post per page to 5-7, that will helps too.
    Errm ... how i going to modify the setting if the site is suspended ?

Anyway the host gave me the backup for my site. He also said that the sql connections from my site don't close as in the log recorded and that's a problem. Can anyone explain to me what that means ?

how i going to modify the setting if the site is suspended ?
    In the future, when you get it back on another host, there's no need of sarcasm, I was trying to help you anyway.

Ok ok, no need of raising the voice Now, if you knew the solution you would rather contact your host and let them know about the changes you intend to make in order to lower the usage.

By the way, who is your host? The queries look normal for a big site like yours but the sql connection close might be a problem. Try to contact them and see if they can (if they want, they don't have to) help you fix this problem together with them, or hire a php/mysql programmer to have a look at the code (since you have the backup) and fix it.

yeah

I would contact the host and ask them exactly why in laymen's terms they suspended your account.

From the limited stats you listed here, I can only assume that there is some badly coded php in the script or in one or more of the plugins.

I had this trouble with a customer of mines but did help him to find a new host because he wouldn't sort out the problem coding with one of his chat scripts and it kept making one of my servers run slow.

Anyway....I helped the guy get a dedicated server and within 2 months his new server totally crashed due to badly coded scripts he kept running.

Hopefully you can get the situation sorted out

OWM
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.

If you are expecting , large number of unique , visiting users you might want to host your site in a dedicated server or reliable hosting service.
    I love Google