Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ad-your-itunes

EDITORIAL: TSA to download your iTunes?

Federal security workers are now free to snoop through more than just your undergarments and luggage at the airport. Thanks to a recent series of federal court decisions, the digital belongings of international fliers are now open for inspection. This includes reading the saved e-mails on your laptop, scanning the address book on your iPhone or BlackBerry and closely scrutinizing your digital vacation snapshots. [more]
    Well seeing as so many are willing to let the govt do anything,this was only a matter of time!!

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Well seeing as so many are willing to let the govt do anything,this was only a matter of time!!
    Its not that anyone one of us really 'want' them to do it. And its not like they're going to ask you before they search your stuff, so its not really 'letting them'. Its the Federal Government dude, they're going to do what they please for the most part.
    Last edited by MannDude; 04-20-2010 at 12:17 PM.
    [ IncogNET LLC ] Privacy By Design [Liberty Lake, WA][Kansas City, MO][Allentown, PA][Naaldwijk, NL]
    [ Web Hosting | KVM VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names | VPN | Censorship Resistance ]
    Services provided in the United States and Netherlands with privacy and freedom of speech being our top priority.

we have to protect intellectual property holders' rights !!!

any other right of anyone is irrelevant !

Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    we have to protect intellectual property holders' rights !!!

any other right of anyone is irrelevant !
    That'd be an interesting argument. If I have a properly licensed digital copy of a movie and then TSA plays it while inspecting my laptop, would that not be a public viewing and a violation of some archaic IP law?

Time to install PGP

Quote Originally Posted by null View Post
    Time to install PGP
    Problem with that idea is that encryption means you're guilty in most cases... encrypted partitions means they'll sit you down in a room until you agree to unlock it for them.

Your best bet? Storing all your stuff online, then doing a factory restore on your laptop before you travel, and put it all back when you arrive. That'll show the bastards.
    I used to run the oldest commercial Mumble host.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapfiber View Post
    That'd be an interesting argument. If I have a properly licensed digital copy of a movie and then TSA plays it while inspecting my laptop, would that not be a public viewing and a violation of some archaic IP law?
    No it is not a violation.

For any crime or violation the guilt (mens rea) must be established. (in latin 'mens rea' means 'guilty mind')

Full drive encryption with TrueCrypt and a "Hidden Partition" so if they ask me to "Reveal" the password I enter a 2ndry password that loads an empty OS.

Quote Originally Posted by RajanUrs View Post
    No it is not a violation.

For any crime or violation the guilt (mens rea) must be established. (in latin 'mens rea' means 'guilty mind')
    Mens rea has many definitions and levels of culpability. Knowing the MPAA I'm sure they wouldn't have any problem explaining it as a case of strict liability.

I doubt it would ever happen, but an interesting idea anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by fwaggle View Post
    Problem with that idea is that encryption means you're guilty in most cases... encrypted partitions means they'll sit you down in a room until you agree to unlock it for them.

Your best bet? Storing all your stuff online, then doing a factory restore on your laptop before you travel, and put it all back when you arrive. That'll show the bastards.
    I'm not violating anything if I forgot password

Wow that is quite crazy..

Use full disk encryption with Truecrypt/Bestcrypt. Then set a custom boot message.

When my laptop is booted it simply displays a black screen with

"Operating System not found"

Typing on the keyboard echoes nothing, considering who the TSA hires I doubt many agents will go further than that.

This is going a bit too far. Maybe your laptop or iPhone is going to digitally explode?

Quote Originally Posted by Snapfiber View Post
    Mens rea has many definitions and levels of culpability. Knowing the MPAA I'm sure they wouldn't have any problem explaining it as a case of strict liability.

I doubt it would ever happen, but an interesting idea anyway.
    Or easily charge you with conspiracy to _insert_crime_here_ and the only way for you to be proven innocent is to prove them wrong revealing your information on the computer.

Conspiracy is VERY easy to get a charge of. EASY.EASY.EASY

Time to install PGP
    Agreed!

Yea who cares There's so much more they can do allready which we dont even know as they wont let us know cause we will freak out... this dont amaze me at all.
    〓〓 RackNerd LLC - Introducing Infrastructure Stability
    〓〓 Dedicated Servers, Private Cloud, DRaaS, Colocation, VPS, DDoS Mitigation, Shared & Reseller Hosting
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/
    〓〓 My fancy email dustin@racknerd.com

I'm not violating anything if I forgot password
    Correct, you're not violating anything or committing any crimes by not consenting to the search (which is basically what "I forgot the password" means)... however that doesn't change the fact that they'll probably still sit you in that chilly, fluorescent-lit room for just long enough to miss your flight... while they convince themselves that you're not holding out on them.

Traveling separate from your data is the best fix - they can search a factory-reinstalled laptop in a matter of minutes and you're on your way without having your fourth amendment rights violated.
    I used to run the oldest commercial Mumble host.

Put a blue waffle as your device background right before you enter the airport.
    One quick look at that and they will be handing your device right back to you....

Quote Originally Posted by unixorn View Post
    Use full disk encryption with Truecrypt/Bestcrypt. Then set a custom boot message.

When my laptop is booted it simply displays a black screen with

"Operating System not found"

Typing on the keyboard echoes nothing, considering who the TSA hires I doubt many agents will go further than that.
    Yeah, do so. They may deny you access to the country if you refuse to hand over the password/key.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis H View Post
    Yeah, do so. They may deny you access to the country if you refuse to hand over the password/key.
    Not if you're a good actor, act worried that all your data is gone, claim they just broke your pc, that you are going to sue, etc, etc.

Haha for some reason this doesn't surprise me
    <<Please review signature formatting guidelines>>

Quote Originally Posted by Webdude View Post
    Not if you're a good actor, act worried that all your data is gone, claim they just broke your pc, that you are going to sue, etc, etc.
    Google indexed your post. You can't give this excuse to anyone now.

damn you google !! you win this round !!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis H View Post
    You cannot be denied access to the country, they will simply confiscate the laptop if you refuse to provide the key.

I'm not talking about hiding things, I'm talking about non-compliance with stupid laws that serve only the corporate interests of entertainment companies. There is zero reason for the TSA to search your laptop, cellphone or mp3 player unless you are already the target of a criminal investigation. There is nothing you can smuggle into the country on a laptop, cellphone or mp3 player that you could not smuggle in over an ssh connection while sipping coffee in a motel room. If you are a spy or a terrorist, it is trivial to store the information you need in another country and download it at a whim over an encrypted connection from a random wifi access point, or have it shipped via FedEx on an encrypted pen drive.

If you don't have anything to hide then why would it matter, If you got something to hide DONT TAKE IT. Simple as that.

There's always going to be laws that everyone might think are 'retarded' But what can you really do except complain? Lol
    QuadraNet Enterprises | Providing Secure Infrastructure Solutions to modern businesses since 2001.
    QuadraNet is a globally recognized cloud solution provider ​with the Best-in-class responsive 24x7 customer support.​
    Locations: Los Angeles, Miami, Dallas, New Jersey, Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle & Amsterdam.
    Andrew Moore andrew.moore@quadranet.com Visit https://www.QuadraNet.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast