Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Introduction to FTP

FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol and is a standard application protocol that uses the Internet’s TCP/IP protocol to transfer files from one computer to another.

FTP is a very common process today. FTP is commonly used to transfer web pages from the creator’s computer to the server where the web site is situated. Also FTP is used to download programs and files to your computer from a server.

How do I use FTP?

To use FTP you will need to install FTP software on your computer. There are many freely available FTP programs on the Internet such as, FTP explorer (http://www.ftpx.com) and Smart FTP (http://www.smartftp.com).

How do I connect with FTP?

Follow the steps below to connect to a server, to upload files using FTP Explorer:

Open FTP Explorer.

Click on the connect button on the toolbar or select connect from the Tools menu.

In the Profile Name text, enter a name to give your FTP connection.

In the Host Address text box enter the address of the server you are connecting to (this can either be the DNS entry or the IP Address).

Enter the Port number that the server accepts FTP connections on (the default port for FTP is 21).

Tick the Use PASV option, if your computer is behind a firewall, which does not allow external FTP connections.

Tick the Use Firewall option if your computer is located behind a firewall.

Either enter a user name for the FTP login or tick the Anonymous option (the anonymous option will only work if the server is set up to allow anonymous FTP connections – if this is selected go to step 10).

Enter the user’s password in the Password text box.

In the Initial path text box, enter the path on the server, where you want your connection to start at – this is optional.

In the Attempts text box enter the number of times to try the FTP connection if fails, you will need to have at least 1 in this text box.

In the Download path you can specify the path on your computer where to save the files downloaded from the server – this is optional, you can specify this later if you like.

To establish the connection with the server click on the Connect button.

How do I upload files using FTP?

Once you have established your connection with the server the next step is to upload your files to the server. The following describes how to do this:

Go to the path on the server where you want to upload your files to.

In the Tools menu click on the Upload button.

Select the file or files that you want to upload (to select more than one file hold down the CTRL key).

NOTE: You can also upload files by dragging and dropping them to the directory/folder on the server.

Click on the Open button. Your file will now be uploaded to the server. (You will see this uploading process in the dialog box.)

How do I download files using FTP?

You can also use FTP to download files to your computer from a server. The following describes how to download a file.

Make sure you are connected to the server.

Go to the file that you want to download.

Right click on the file and select Download To..

Select the path on your computer where you want the file to be saved to.

The file will now be downloaded to your computer. (You will see this downloading process happening in the dialog box.)

How do I end my connection?

You can end the connection by simply clicking on the Disconnect button on the tool bar or by clicking on Disconnect from the Tools menu.
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 12-23-2004 at 07:50 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks , very useful.
      0 Not allowed!

Maybe you could add something about chmod and stuff like that as well, might be uselfull for the people that install scripts for the very first time.
      0 Not allowed!

An FTP server can use passive mode. When in passive mode, I believe IE and the native DOS ftp cannot be used because they do not offer passive mode connection.

So, what's so good about passive mode FTP? Why people use it? More secure??
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Donkey
    An FTP server can use passive mode. When in passive mode, I believe IE and the native DOS ftp cannot be used because they do not offer passive mode connection.

So, what's so good about passive mode FTP? Why people use it? More secure??
    To use IE in passive mode , you have to clear the Enable folder view for FTP sites check box(Tools > Internet options>Advanced Tab>Browsing) and then select the Use Passive FTP check box.

People use passive mode FTP as data transfer is more secure and that's because of the fact that the FTP client initiates the process not the FTP Server.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for this info. I've been thinking about this exact topic today!
      0 Not allowed!

When I try to access ftp via IE I always get an error Internet Exploror cannot download from / ftp.xyz.com Internet Exploror was not able to open the site.

What could be the problem??
    [URL=http://www.ekhwan.com/]Ekhwan Web Solutions - Brotherhood Beyond Boundries.
    Affordable online solutions and applications for your business.
      0 Not allowed!

Hey,
    Nice topic... wish I were able to read something like this when I first had my hosting account 4 years back.
      0 Not allowed!

Great tutorial.
    Thank you.

~Larry
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Ekhwan
    When I try to access ftp via IE I always get an error Internet Exploror cannot download from / ftp.xyz.com Internet Exploror was not able to open the site.

What could be the problem??
    Hi,
    It could be because of following reasons:
    xyz.com might not be pinging to your server
    or the ftp port might not be opened on your server
      0 Not allowed!

I got it done this way, it might help others as well.

If you are trying to connect to ftp with the main account try using this format to get to your ftp: ftp://user:password@domain.com
    [URL=http://www.ekhwan.com/]Ekhwan Web Solutions - Brotherhood Beyond Boundries.
    Affordable online solutions and applications for your business.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the info that helps a lot
      0 Not allowed!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by ic3d
    Maybe you could add something about chmod and stuff like that as well, might be uselfull for the people that install scripts for the very first time.
    Yup, I had trouble with that before I was given an elaborate explanation a while ago...
      0 Not allowed!

chmod is for changing the permission of the file. read write and execute.

recommend that u use filezilla or such ftp clients.. you can right click on the file and change the property easily.
      0 Not allowed!

If you want to upload a file that you will download from another ftp you can use FXP.
    It's permit file transfert directly between two ftp server without download on your hard drive
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for all this information but I am facing some problem during uploading that whenever I try to upload any file of my site to overwrite it then after a while its uploads all other files expect a few files and show me the the error 550 in FileZilla and state that this file is already used by another process as I didn't open any other program on the my pc so Can anyone help me out about this problem.
    Last edited by cool_fp; 03-25-2009 at 12:21 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

oh thats great thanx for those goodies could come in handy while encountering probs in ftp
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SeaTiger View Post
    Here is some flash tutorials, how tu use ftp clients:
    https://support.host1plus.com/index.php?_m=flashtutorials&_a=view#

Just copy paste to check
    Good tutorials
      0 Not allowed!

Thank you, very helpful
      0 Not allowed!

it would be great if you could post an sFTP guide as well and other means of connecting thru the web host..

thanks..
      0 Not allowed!

as said Joe-Banana about SFTP,
    Since FTP protocol is using plain text login/password authentication, anyone sniffing your traffic can get your credentials, so I wouldn't recommend to use FTP at all.
    Instead I would suggest to use SFTP or Secure FTP sometimes it is referred also as SSH FTP, it is based on OpenSSH and all traffic is encrypted.
    More info on SFTP on wiki.
      0 Not allowed!

Choosing software

what is the difference between a good FTP and a bad one??
      0 Not allowed!

Nice information you gave..thanks!! It gives great help!!!
      0 Not allowed!

good for a beginner
    ty
      0 Not allowed!

Thank you so much for this awesome post (tutorial). Although I am already much experienced with FTP, I think that this might prove to be helpful to many newbies.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast