Good examples of Green DCs

I was talking recently with the IT director of a water and sewage utility company, and he mentioned their new DC project. They are powering the DC with sewage sludge (yes, that is what you think it might be) similar in principle I guess to landfill gas power. I can't remember the numbers of the top of my head, but he was talking about substantial generation capacity on site from the sludge - 100's of kWs if not MWs. Although I'm not sure I'd want to spend too much time there (!), I was rather impressed with this innovative approach.

I read on another thread that Hostgator are generating wind power at each of their sites equivalent to 120% of their usage (although I can't find anything to back that up on Hostgator's website, though I have no reason to doubt it). Again, impressive if true.

The Thor Data Centre in Iceland (hands up here as we represent them) runs on a totally renewables based power grid, with no fossil fuels used for grid power. So practically zero carbon emissions.

More and more people are going to be looking to options like the above as fuel costs and carbon taxes (eg UK CRC tax) continue to rise.

What other impressive energy/CO2 saving programmes have you seen? (And please, not just buying so-called green electricity from a brown grid or doing carbon offsets)

* Green dirctory

is a Good examples of Green site map for derogatory idea your we ghosting ..

* Green dirctory

is a Good examples of Green site map for derogatory idea your we ghosting ..

here is the link about hostgator and wind energy

http://www.hostgator.com/green-web-hosting.shtml

It is only their shared and reseller acount servers and it looks like they have just purchased credits to offset their carbon footprint. So it is not that their data center is powered by wind. it would take a ridiculous amount of wind mills to power a big data center.

Let me get this straight... So by purchasing "Credits" from a for-profit company, they have the ability to say their service is green? Yet their DC(s) still run 100% off the grid?

In Canada you actually have to pay a different rate (2-3x more) for "Green" energy and it's provided by other companies that actually have the wind/solar farms.

Buying "Credits" doesn't really seem to help the environment much because you aren't reducing the demand of the "dirty" power companies at all... Correct me if I'm wrong.
    █ Pentester & IT Security Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by media-hosts_com View Post
    Let me get this straight... So by purchasing "Credits" from a for-profit company, they have the ability to say their service is green? Yet their DC(s) still run 100% off the grid?

In Canada you actually have to pay a different rate (2-3x more) for "Green" energy and it's provided by other companies that actually have the wind/solar farms.

Buying "Credits" doesn't really seem to help the environment much because you aren't reducing the demand of the "dirty" power companies at all... Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Yes and no, but you are coming very close . Buying the credits helps reduce the carbon footprint, but you are correc when you say the power grid is not green. Many people are fooled by these tactics because it truly isn't "green powered". The company just purchases a credit to help lower the carbon footprint elsewhere.

Thumbs up

I saw a story here in Idaho how dairy farms are using cow manure to generate power and return it to the grid. I just wish our leaders would attract companies looking to build green datacenters. Power is cheap here because we use hydro dams in the Pacific NW. Facebook picked Prineville, OR for their first datacenter.

Here's the story if you are interested:
    http://www.ktvb.com/home/Cow-Power-g...116710339.html
    DJ Smith
    GreenHostUSA
    Boise, ID

Quote Originally Posted by atjeu View Post
    here is the link about hostgator and wind energy

http://www.hostgator.com/green-web-hosting.shtml

It is only their shared and reseller acount servers and it looks like they have just purchased credits to offset their carbon footprint. So it is not that their data center is powered by wind. it would take a ridiculous amount of wind mills to power a big data center.
    hostgator is just a reseller (huge one) for the planet - I dont think they own their data center nor have any control over their power source.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by RackAlley View Post
    hostgator is just a reseller (huge one) for the planet - I dont think they own their data center nor have any control over their power source.
    And I believe all they do is purchase RECs to attempt to offset their carbon footprint.
    Last edited by writespeak; 05-16-2011 at 11:41 PM.

BurstNet is green too. It purchased renewable wind energy certificates some time ago.
    Last edited by sautaja; 05-28-2011 at 06:08 AM.

By the way, I like the idea of Google's Finland data center. It is cooled by Baltic Sea water

I heard Facebook were building a state of the art green DC somewhere in Oregon.
    HostRoyale Technologies-VPS / Dedicated Servers
    India - USA - Spain - Portugal - Ukraine - Germany - Luxembourg - Austria - Romania - Italy - Estonia - Finland - Australia - New Zealand
    Shared , Reseller, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation, BitCoins Accepted!

Quote Originally Posted by Saket Kale View Post
    Yeah - Facebook are but also BurstNET has a green dc. I think something like 50% of it is powered by wind.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Saket Kale View Post
    It's already online. It's in Prineville, OR which is just outside of Bend, OR. I believe you can find a tour of the DC on YouTube. It's pretty interesting how they cool the servers.
    DJ Smith
    GreenHostUSA
    Boise, ID

NetDynamics LLC - One-stop Solution for Hosting Needs
    We love Backups! Backup storage for your server backups

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse-LD View Post
    Yeah - Facebook are but also BurstNET has a green dc. I think something like 50% of it is powered by wind.
    I thought it was solely running on wind power, but they are known to use green power which is a good point for me, there was no downtime ever caused by power outage, but even though not sure if any other DC is having any more downtime out of using normal power.

I was speaking with leaseweb at hosting con and they mentioned their DC were.
    〓〓 RackNerd LLC - Introducing Infrastructure Stability
    〓〓 Dedicated Servers, Private Cloud, DRaaS, Colocation, VPS, DDoS Mitigation, Shared & Reseller Hosting
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/
    〓〓 My fancy email dustin@racknerd.com

It's pretty much all a scam the big providers don't actually utilize green power. They just purchase certificates or REC's to offset their carbon emissions and even at that they typically under-rate their output. There are very few data centers that actually utilize 100% green energy and we are one of them.

rastor first

All I can say is that carbon credits are a step in the right direction. But these hosts should be focusing other efforts on green initiatives if they truly believe in their marketing tactics.