Smile Backup Almost Everything to Dropbox via FTP/SFTP

Hi Friends,

Few days back, I came across Backup Box Service, which allows anyone to Backup ANY File from their Web Hosting Account to Dropbox by means of FTP/SFTP

I prefer my cPanel Backups to get directly transferred to Dropbox, because of my Limited Internet Connection (Fair Usage Policy) and the size of my backup file is 350 MB+

Some great features of Backup Box:

* Using Backup Box, you can even transfer Files from your Dropbox Account to your Web Hosting Account via FTP/SFTP. Backup Box is actually a middleman between various popular web technologies, that don’t play nice together. Backup Box takes your files from one place and transfers/converts them to another!

* With Backup Box there’s zero file size limit to or from Dropbox! Although there's a soft 40 GB Transfer limit for every account

* Transfer to/from SugarSync, Box, GitHub, MySQL, Mango DB, Flickr and Amazon S3 is going to be added soon!

I hope, some of you will find this service useful for maintaining Backups in the Cloud

Nice find. This could be great for people with smaller files. However, the storage costs for cPanel backups would get really high compared to alternatives if you have anything more than a few GB.

If they have a way to use s/FTP with S3...then that would be awesome. Will keep my eye on this.
    Sajan Parikh - PHP Development | Server Management | Linux Administration | Web Consulting
    Feel free to get in touch with me if I can be of assistance with anything.
    e: sajan@parikh.io | w: sajan.io
    Give me a call at (262) 343-5973.

Smile

Yeah! I am personally waiting for S3, SugarSync and Box Support

Hope they add these services soon

That looks really neat. If there was a version with rsync, I think that would be an even stronger tool for a low-cost solution of having bare-metal backups.
    |███| SSD Nodes
    |███| Build more for far less with the best value in cloud hosting.
    |███| RAID 10 SSDs | 10Gbps NICs | Tier-1 backbone | Scale without downtime | 9 years in business
    |███| https://www.ssdnodes.com

It all depends on what you are backing up, but be careful with free sites, especially if it is customer data or sensitive data

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Skurka View Post
    It all depends on what you are backing up, but be careful with free sites, especially if it is customer data or sensitive data
    Good point, AFAIK Dropbox doesn't have any kind of PCI, SAS II, or HIPAA compliance (which is interesting since their infrastructure, Amazon AWS, has all of these). Their recent round of funding was at $250 million (making Dropbox, Inc. valued at $4 billion), so I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet.
    |███| SSD Nodes
    |███| Build more for far less with the best value in cloud hosting.
    |███| RAID 10 SSDs | 10Gbps NICs | Tier-1 backbone | Scale without downtime | 9 years in business
    |███| https://www.ssdnodes.com

Why would you store it on dropbox?
    Amazon s3 even has a promo (or might be over) that gives 5GB of storage for a full year for FREEEEE!
    I have no sig to spam.

Quote Originally Posted by SSD Nodes View Post
    Good point, AFAIK Dropbox doesn't have any kind of PCI, SAS II, or HIPAA compliance (which is interesting since their infrastructure, Amazon AWS, has all of these). Their recent round of funding was at $250 million (making Dropbox, Inc. valued at $4 billion), so I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet.
    Dropbox is a great service, but is certainly not suitable for any sensitive data. They store data encrypted on Amazon, but they hold the keys. Their TOS allows them to examine your data, which allows them to de-dupe the data they store. They also have had numerous problems with data leakage, with data being visible to others through coding errors and suchlike.

The only way to use it securely is to strongly encrypt the files you store on it, keeping the key separate. This is true regardless of whether you are using the free service or paying for extra space.
    Advania Thor Data Centre Iceland - www.thordc.com
    High Spec Colocation and Dedicated Servers, powered by cheap, abundant and 100% renewable energy.
    Enterprise grade hosting, ISO27001 accredited for security, and all at fantastic pricing.

brian.rae@thordc.com

Smile

Support for box.com has been added

I hope Newbies will find THIS tutorial useful

Personally I am loving the service
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bb.png  

Great find! Thank you! This comes in handy, esp that they have both Google Drive and Dropbox included in their service. Anyways, I havent tried anything yet. Id like to know if this is totally free or theres any paid features? Thanks
    Rg Enzon, Founder & Designer @ Play Technica
    Building user interfaces for humans.

Looks decent however I'd rather pay for services in which involve handling sensitive customer data. My personal port of call is Amazon S3.
    Buzzhosting - The Reliable Choice!
    █ Affordable Domains, Reliable Hosting, Hosted Mail, Virtual Private Servers
    cPanel - Softaculous - CloudFlare Partners - 24/7 Support
    █ Free .com domain name with the purchase of our Freedom Package!

If you use ruby there's a kickass gem on Github that allows backup to Dropbox via the API. We use this to keep a backup of all our assets.

https://github.com/meskyanichi/backup

Thanks for sharing, looks like an awesome service. I just signed up for their free account to try it out.
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com

Smile

All these services are added (See attachment)

Now waiting for S3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails services.png  

Smile

They have finally added Amazon S3: http://blog.mybackupbox.com/backup-b...rts-amazon-s3/