Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Download the Open-E DSS trial to a USB stick and use that to boot off of on a PC to check it out. Very easy to test for 2 whole months which is great.

The Disk On Modules are better than the USB sticks. They are designed for long life where the USB sticks have limited life.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    UrNode - Virtual Solutions
    http://www.UrNode.com

Quote Originally Posted by kris1351 View Post
    The Disk On Modules are better than the USB sticks. They are designed for long life where the USB sticks have limited life.
    I Agree. But for testing to see if you even want to go that route a USB is quick and easy. Not sure if any of the other low cost SAN products out there like Nexenta or OpenFiler will even fit on a USB.

Quote Originally Posted by nibb View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. When you mention its not fast is the difference really noticeable? Did you tested it on the same hardware?

There is a review of them in Toms hardware vs DataCore and it doesn't achieve the same performance but for the price its pretty good, I mean DataCore costs a small fortune.

I have to look into Nexenta as well but Open-E seems nice for small business or small setups. Of course if you need to scale bigger in the future, that would not fix performance or speed issues either once you deployed a solution its pretty much the same except features.
    When I say faster, I mean faster. Once the cache is hit in Nexenta/ZFS, the speed is incredible. When hitting the raw storage, it's still just as fast as Open-e.

Datacore... I could never actually GET pricing out of them. That disqualified them in my mind. And the lady who runs that company still calls me once in a while trying to sell her product to me. But won't give me pricing. It's a strange world!
    Fully Managed Fast Hosting
    In Vancouver & Toronto
    Canadian owned & operated
    ezp.net

Quote Originally Posted by WebGuyz View Post
    We use Open-E ISCSI with Xenserver and like it alot. Recommend anyone starting a SAN to use newer LSI disk controllers and CacheCade 2.0 software with SSD's which really speeds things up.
    Odd, I've had no luck actually showing any performance gains with the cachecade 2.0 software. It's like I can't get the cache to actually cache.
    Fully Managed Fast Hosting
    In Vancouver & Toronto
    Canadian owned & operated
    ezp.net

take a look at http://www.drbd.org/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12