Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

which is best operating system?

i use window xp and it best for me and you
      0 Not allowed!

There is no best OS. They each have strengths and weaknesses. Try them and decide for yourself.
    GorillaServers Inc | Direct Unmetered Dedicated Servers
      0 Not allowed!

Windows xp doesn't really have maximum graphics potential since microsoft is trying to get people to buy the new versions and limited directx quality at one point for xp.

I personally use vista and have had no resource issues, speed issues or anything else. Never understood why people said it was bad. Sure when it first came out it sucked for 4-5 months but that is pretty much true of every new operating system. Xp wasn't that great when it was first released and was slow as heck on some of the pc's during that time.

If I'm not gaming and am working on someones site or helping them fix an error I will be on a separate os such as Fedora or OpenSuse. If more games worked well with linux I would probably be a linux only type guy.
      0 Not allowed!

i love windows xp on a pc with min of 512 MB ram .. and windows 7 for a 4 GB PC .. windows xp is the only one that i have seen that can run fast enough on small specs ...
    yeah because of low graphical interface..
    i am still using xp ...
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by luckyshah283 View Post
    i love windows xp on a pc with min of 512 MB ram .. and windows 7 for a 4 GB PC .. windows xp is the only one that i have seen that can run fast enough on small specs ...
    i am still using xp ...
    Aside from all nix flavors Windows 7 can run on low powered machines quite well with a lot of extra features disabled. It doesn't provide any less of an experience than XP does either...

There is literally no point to installing XP anymore if you can afford to upgrade.

There are many reasons why Windows 7 is the current version, and XP is EOL.
      0 Not allowed!

7 is solid on new hardware. XP gets the job done but I would worry about security patches once it goes fully end of life.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by luckyshah283 View Post
    i am still using xp ...
    Windows XP is great for what is now considered small specs but the days of 128mb of ram when xp came out it was considered pretty slow. The newer os's are going to be the same.

Anyone can use windows xp for as long as they wish but I recommend people start getting used to other operating systems. Since it is now end of life and updates aren't going to happen for a longer period of time, once a major security issue comes up you better hope to heck you don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBox View Post
    Aside from all nix flavors Windows 7 can run on low powered machines quite well with a lot of extra features disabled. It doesn't provide any less of an experience than XP does either...

There is literally no point to installing XP anymore if you can afford to upgrade.

There are many reasons why Windows 7 is the current version, and XP is EOL.
    This is true. While benchmark's say Windows 7 performs slower on similar spec machines it feels snappier. If it feels faster then that's all that matters to me regardless if stats say otherwise.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by techjr View Post
    Windows XP is great for what is now considered small specs but the days of 128mb of ram when xp came out it was considered pretty slow. The newer os's are going to be the same.

Anyone can use windows xp for as long as they wish but I recommend people start getting used to other operating systems. Since it is now end of life and updates aren't going to happen for a longer period of time, once a major security issue comes up you better hope to heck you don't get it.

This is true. While benchmark's say Windows 7 performs slower on similar spec machines it feels snappier. If it feels faster then that's all that matters to me regardless if stats say otherwise.
    /agree

If someone is using hardware that is too weak to run win7, then they flat out need to build/buy a new computer.

I keep up to the minute with my hardware, but that's my hobby.

A month ago I traded a gaming mouse I bought for $80 for a core2duo based HTPC machine that has 4GB DDR2, a capture card, a nice mid tower case, 1TB HD, and a quality CM cpu cooler. You can get a PC powerful enough to run win7 well for peanuts these days. I use that system as a headless linux/win7 sandbox now for testing code. It runs both very well even without a discrete GPU.

There really is no excuse not to upgrade other than money, and the OEM/system builder version is not that pricey.
      0 Not allowed!

What? No love for Windows 3.1? Low memory requirement, no frills software - what's not to like? :-)

That, or a toss up between plain ol' DOS 6.22
    John Rasri
    Private Label Live Chat Provider For Resellers
    GotLiveChat.com
    White Label/Brand-able live chat software solutions
      0 Not allowed!

well this is very nice question
    Well this depends upon your knowledge and need
    if you need simple and easy then xp is best
    if you need stylish and easy (little hard than xp) then windows 7 is best
    if you need powerful and business use os then linux is best

thanks
    keep asking
      0 Not allowed!

I like to use Windows Vista. It looks are so attractive and it also provides various features like security etc. It comes in three packages basic for the new one, premium for the normal person and business for the organization people.

<< Signatures are to be set up via profiles only >>
    Last edited by writespeak; 11-08-2011 at 12:47 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Window XP. I used Windows Vista but then it got too much bugs so I switched back to Window XP. Waiting for Window 8 =)
      0 Not allowed!

Every OS is almost the same. They are good. What makes them best is the people who support it. Linux will be as good as windows is the vendor made their driver and software for linux. I barely see commercial good games run on Linux, that is why gamer prefer Windows.
      0 Not allowed!

My laptop's OS right now is Windows 7, but I would prefer XP is the best. If I compare both XP and 7, the XP itself is more lighter and simpler. I do have plans on changing my OS from 7 to XP, coz' I want my programs to run smoothly.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by benjohnsonfs View Post
    My laptop's OS right now is Windows 7, but I would prefer XP is the best. If I compare both XP and 7, the XP itself is more lighter and simpler. I do have plans on changing my OS from 7 to XP, coz' I want my programs to run smoothly.
    That is a really bad idea.

Windows 7 is superior in literally every way. XP has been showing its age for years now, and no one should use it if they have access to Windows 7.
      0 Not allowed!

Windows XP personaly!! its much more stable and alot faster..

but windows 7 looks alot nicer, thats just what i think myself..

why dont you dual boot?? that way you can have the best of both worlds...
      0 Not allowed!

For RAM limited systems, Windows 7 is a big no go.

Windows 7 = Way too user friendly for my liking, MS have made getting into advanced config so much of a slower process.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Exerox View Post

Windows 7 = Way too user friendly for my liking, MS have made getting into advanced config so much of a slower process.
    Well said, +2 on that.
    I'm a big fan of Ubuntu as well. Easier for a Linux noob. Linux Mint too, for that matter.
    This Geeks Blog Site | | Need moral support? Got it HERE!!!
      0 Not allowed!

+3 to what Exerox said. Try Win 7 with 4 GB of RAM and all the bells and whistles activated!
      0 Not allowed!

Does nobody remember Windows ME?? Best OS ever!! I still miss all that spontaneous, bright blue wallpaper I always got, even though it slowed down my pc a bit.

BSOD!!!
    This Geeks Blog Site | | Need moral support? Got it HERE!!!
      0 Not allowed!

I used to use XP and loved it but now its just too outdated, once I started using 7 I can't go back because in 7 I have been using many awesome features and its just simple to use.
      0 Not allowed!

Win XP to me is the best in terms of stability and all that but Win 7 is cool with additional features and it's particularly great in synching.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MrBox View Post
    There is no best OS. They each have strengths and weaknesses. Try them and decide for yourself.
    Very true....

But for me, there is a BEST OS for something more specific task, function and use.

Like so:

For webhosting and web-related functions, i choose centos.

For my online banking and other online money transaction, i boot up my puppy linux and fire-up it's built-in browser.

For my media center pc or HTPC, i choose again puppy linux with boxee as the best os for it.

For my multimedia applications, i use mac.

For my gaming sessions, my top choice is windows xp.

so, IMO, there is no BEST OS, in general.
      0 Not allowed!

There really is nothing better they each have unique features. If you love windows: Windows 7 good if you have at least 1 GB ram, windows XP of not, VISTA SUCKS
    Mac: MAC OSX Snow Leopard or Lion
      0 Not allowed!

Windows 8 is going to stomp the life out of Linux.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast