General Knowledge help!

Hi, I wish to buy myself a server and do it in co-location but the problem with it now is that I don't know much things about server as I have been a reseller for like only 6months. And so, I intend to offer steam game hosting. (Counterstrike 1.6, etc.) I hope that you guys can help me out.

Questions:
    1) Will the server specs shows my game hosting performance? I mean like if compare to a good and a average server both are hosting game servers and both are not overselling. Which one will have a better performance?

2) Does bandwidth make that much difference in web hosting or any other services?

3) Per MBPS contains how much bandwidth?

4) Let's say I have 5K now. Do you guys recommend me to buy a $5k server or buy a few $1K-2K plus server?

Thanks for your time, hope you'll have a great day!

1. If you want optimal performance, do not overload the box's capabilities.
    2. If you want to sell gameservers, you need premium bandwidth. Gamers aren't the most forgiving customers, and a few milliseconds difference in ping times could make or break you.
    3. You can push 125 kilobytes per second on a 1 megabit per second line.
    4. No to be critical, but I think you should do a little bit more research before you dive into the game hosting market. It's difficult and as I mentioned before, not very forgiving. Consider leasing a dedicated server and testing out the waters.

Quote Originally Posted by wellofshadows View Post
    3) Per MBPS contains how much bandwidth?
    1 KiloByte (KB) = 8.192 Kilobits (Kb)
    Devide/Multiply it by 8.2 if you want a fast, but pretty correct calculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Windowlicker View Post
    1. If you want optimal performance, do not overload the box's capabilities.
    2. If you want to sell gameservers, you need premium bandwidth. Gamers aren't the most forgiving customers, and a few milliseconds difference in ping times could make or break you.
    3. You can push 125 kilobytes per second on a 1 megabit per second line.
    4. No to be critical, but I think you should do a little bit more research before you dive into the game hosting market. It's difficult and as I mentioned before, not very forgiving. Consider leasing a dedicated server and testing out the waters.
    Thanks! But for co-location, they offer 1U space that means only 1 server can be put inside the rack? And they also offered me 2 plans.

Shared Bandwidth (80GB Monthly Data Transfer) 100MBPS

Dedicated Bandwidth (Unlimited Data Transfer) 1MBPS

Which one would you guys prefer me on trying out?

Hmmm, dedicated server. I'll give it a try but I will have to install all the securities are stuff myself right?

Neither one of those plans are going to be enough if you become popular. You might want to find a plan that will either give you

A. At least 200GB monthly transfer
    or
    B. 3Mbps - Unlimited data transfer

Then you can upgrade that as needed, but thats a somewhat safe margin i think.

As the others have suggested, you really should get a dedicated server and try this yourself for a couple months before buying a server, and renting rack space. Yes you'll have to do security and what not yourself(unless you hire a management company), but you'll have to do that yourself anyway if you buy a server.