What kind of server I need for this?

Hello guys

Server will host 1000 users.

25 MB of hard drive space and 5 GB of traffic per user. No PHP and mySQL.

What kind of server specs I need for this setup?

Thanks
    How's my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL

since you will be using 25gig disk and 5,000gig transfer you'll need atleast.

Dual Xeon 2.4ghz
    2 gig ram
    60gig hd
    unmetered 20mbps

If your going to get any kind of monster server, I'd recommend using some kind of RAID config. I agree with wiresix and would add maybe a second drive.

no php and db he said, so maybe a high spec P4 will do.
    will all users be online at the same time ?

well and at least 5,000 GB bw a 20 mbps unmetered uplink maybe abit oversized since not all users will utilize their bw limit.

Originally posted by rackcheck
    no php and db he said, so maybe a high spec P4 will do.
    will all users be online at the same time ?

well and at least 5,000 GB bw a 20 mbps unmetered uplink maybe abit oversized since not all users will utilize their bw limit.
    No PHP, no mySQL, but with 1,000 clients hosted on the server, that's a lot of requests for Apache. I'd still stick with the Dual Xeon. thttpd might be a good choice also.

Thanks guys.

I'm thinking of Dual XEON also and maybe SCSI hard drives.

Do you thnik 2000GB of monthly traffic will be ok? All users won't use 5GB per month.

Originally posted by null
    Thanks guys.

I'm thinking of Dual XEON also and maybe SCSI hard drives.

Do you thnik 2000GB of monthly traffic will be ok? All users won't use 5GB per month.

Ah, I thought you said they would *use* 25 / 5gig in that case you should be fine with 2tb on 100mbit to allow for those bursts

Would be beneficial to make sure worker threads will work with apache too, which I can tell you doesnt work on FreeBSD 5.3- AMD64

Is this for shared hosting accounts that do not have php/db features? Or for a single site?
    Ken O. TKO

Originally posted by kenop
    Is this for shared hosting accounts that do not have php/db features? Or for a single site?
    This is shared hosting with no php/mysql.

You will definitely want to spec this out at an "oversold" level, traffic wise. at only 25mb per account, with no database/scripting use, few types of sites (demographically speaking) would use up more than 1-2gb/mo transfer. 1200gb-2000gb single server account should be fine, but I agree with the others and that a dual Xeon is recommended.
    Ken O. TKO

it's such a shame that thttpd doesn't have proper virtual hosting, it would do so great for these applications

You could always just use a highly optimized apache and be able to push out that kinda traffic pretty easily. with 1000 accounts, you can figure maybe you'll have 400 connections at a time, and that all being just .html will move it very quickly (put keep alives nice and low, like 1s - 2s).

~Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Thanks guys, appreciate your help!

Happy holidays!

Can I ask why everyone is recommending the Intel Xeons?

Is it because Intels marketing makes you think intel is the best?

Go for a AMD Dual Opteron. Much better performance for the same cost!

Opteron is in Xeon's class. Just making sure he shies away from cheaper, regular AMD / P4 boxes that won't suit his needs.

So long as the box has good speed and cache, it's fine.
    Ken O. TKO

Originally posted by DeltaAnime
    it's such a shame that thttpd doesn't have proper virtual hosting, it would do so great for these applications

You could always just use a highly optimized apache and be able to push out that kinda traffic pretty easily. with 1000 accounts, you can figure maybe you'll have 400 connections at a time, and that all being just .html will move it very quickly (put keep alives nice and low, like 1s - 2s).

~Francisco

In high-traffic situations apache keepalive is actualy a BAD thing, go read all the apache performance tuning docs

it depends on your hit-rate
    in any case, if no db, php, cgi, i believe even a p3 will do a reasonable job.
    and compile threaded apache to take full advantage of high hit-rate handling.
    EMail: alan.lai@gmail.com

which just a note for those that aren't familiar with it but to have a multi-threaded apache build you need to go with 2.0.X

Sure thing
    EMail: alan.lai@gmail.com