Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rackspace...this a good deal?

I was quoted a price of $900 for a server with single opteron 250 proc, 2 GB RAM, 2x146GB SCSI hard drives. Sounds really steep. Any thoughts?

What kind of management with that?

That's a pretty steep price IMO, you can probably get that price down a fair bit if you deal with them however. Of course there are other providers out there too...

Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

Not the intensive management package...there were some other things they threw in for a total of $1970 for 2 servers total with that configuration. Sounds really steep.

I recently quoted a similar server, but with the 2x 72 gb scsi's and got it in under $500 a month. But that was with an 18 month commitment.

RackSpace is expensive - any price comparison to other proviers is out the window, but as far as RackSpace prices are concerned that sounds a little high. If you can get your salesman on the phone and you're willing haggle and prepared to sign a contract you should be able to get better than $900
    neil MCITP, VCP

You don't choose Rackspace if you aren't prepared to pay the price. They offer premium services, and are suited for companies that need the VERY good reliability of their services.

Rackspace is also for companies with more money than sense.
    Ultra High Performance UK VPS without compromise.
    HPe servers, Intel NVMe DC P3700/P4600 SSD
    https://clustered.net

Quote Originally Posted by reiteration
    haha, nicely put.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

$500 a month seems fairly reasonable, but $900 a month seems like you're paying a reputation premium for Rackspace. I hear good things about them, but that $400 jump is big.

That's definitely high, even for Rackspace.

...Unless there's a significant amount of other hardware/software included with that.

EDIT: I've just reviewed a recent proposal from them, and... It's actually not really waaay out there for Rackspace. Wow.
    Last edited by JasonSpatola; 08-22-2006 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by layer0
    haha, nicely put.
    Seconded.

To the OP, simply get on the phone and start haggling with them. Personally, I wouldn't go with them but if your heart is set on it...
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

Rackspace charges out your sister's wazzoo.

That said, you actually DO get what you pay for (I am in no way affiliated with them, I have experience with them through a former employer). They are 100% on the ball and you will not have downtime, provided you didn't completely destroy your server on your own.

However, if you are comfortable with paying less and committing for an extended period, by all means do that. Managed hosting is managed hosting, and you're going to get the same basic QoS regardless of who you use. The thing is that for $900/mo you get what you pay for. For $500/mo you get $900 worth of managed hosting.

Bottom line: they're excellent, but so are a hundred other managed hsots that are a lot cheaper.
    The Big Toe

Big Feet Internet Media: Because you have big shoes to fill.
    Inverted Mind: Useless stuff to read when you should be working.

Well, when you make $30K a month from single e-commerce website, you don't think that rackspace is expensive.... 100% uptime is what you need and you will not bargain about few hundreds...

A fool and his money are easily parted.

First rule of buisness: NEVER accept the first offer.
    Ultra High Performance UK VPS without compromise.
    HPe servers, Intel NVMe DC P3700/P4600 SSD
    https://clustered.net

Rackspace's prices are outrageous.

I've had serious hardware issues with them in the past, and have spoken to half a dozen or so of their vaunted support staff regarding various Linux and networking issues I've had to deal with on their servers. They generally know what they are doing pretty well, but you'll constantly get bounced around from one rep to another, with no consistent account management on their part. I would hardly rate them top of the line, though. I can't speak to the quality of the network, but from what I hear it is quite solid.

But, a server with those specs could be had for around 40% or less of that price, from plenty of reliable data centers.
    GridZones - Fully Managed colo / dedicated - Unix - Solaris - Linux
    http://www.gridzones.com

Quote Originally Posted by reiteration
    ha

i also agree that Rackspace is a bit on the expensive side, but I hear the quality of their servers and support is great.

edit:
    btw, shouldnt this be in a dedicated server talk forum?

Compare Rackspace to The Planet

For a real comparison of the mentality of Rackspace vs. The Planet, check out this link:

http://www.thewhir.com/tv/aug202006/story1.cfm

Notice the focus on the Rackspace guy on the left vs. the stodgy, cocky attitude of the grey-haired bored-looking guy on the right. And to think that this is the leader of the 'new and improved' Planet. I'm glad I left them and have stuck with Rackspace.

Which would you rather send your business to?

Alternatives to Rackspace?

Opinions on RedPlaid? CarpathiaHostings? FastServers.net?

I haggled with RS for a week to get the deal I wanted. dual opteron 246's 4gig ram, 2x73gbscsci, platinum suppt, cisco pix 501 firewall, mysql agent backup, 1000gb transfer, 25gb backup per week to tape 2week retention, 1hr hardware sla, etc 700US 24mnth contract. So far been with them 17days 100% uptime and I would not call the service fanatical, more like creepy and disturbing. It's like i need this done, done, i need this done, done, i know this is a bit of an ask but can you do this to my server, done. You phone up tech support real person answers right away, the two times I called they resolved my issues right there on the phone by passing me to a higher level tech all within like 5 minutes it was sorted out. My account manager is actively in touch with me and spoke to me for over 30mins just to learn more about me and my business, etc. Yes 700 is pricey but I sleep damn good at night now. I'll take a financial hit for that anyday..

Quote Originally Posted by sn1per
    Notice the focus on the Rackspace guy on the left vs. the stodgy, cocky attitude of the grey-haired bored-looking guy on the right. And to think that this is the leader of the 'new and improved' Planet. I'm glad I left them and have stuck with Rackspace.
    Doug Erwin sure looked uncomfortable there. He looked completely disinterested, and bored. From this, and the onine chat he did a week back, I have to say that he is probably not the right man to be doing PR! When the interviewer asked him a question, he wasn't even looking at her, just busy staring in to space and tapping his fingers.

I felt uncomfortable watching him

Anastasia Tubanos was worth watching though

The good ole rackspace.... I have had a long history with rackspace and all I can say is, what type of hosting do you need? 100% uptime or 99.9% uptime and good managment on a smaller scale rackspace level? If so use softlayer.com

however if you really have you heat set on Rackspace here are a few words of advise, only use them for dedicated servers and managment.... Everything else they sell is outsourced, and simply has the price jacked up just to have there logo on it... Take noteworthy their email platform... All it is a resold version of webmail.us. I found simply asking the sales agents about what they offered saved me lots of money by allowing me to get what the offered as add-ons at a 40-50% discount by going to the suppier to begin with.

ok, ill stop ranting.

(oh ask around for a manager, they can hook you up with 1TB of free outgoing bandwidth on new accounts instead of 100GB, which is worth setting up an account in itself.)

Rackspace is hardly worth the $900 they quoted you on a per server basis. Their software is out of date, their management practices are pathetic at best, and their network (while good) is hardly 100%. No network is ever 100% all of the time. At some point, there will be times when you can't access their network.

Being one of my first locations for dedicated servers, some 5 years ago, Rackspace had more downtime than I could reasonably imagine. It was constantly impossible for me to get into my server late at night, and they couldn't do a thing about it.

The "management" of RS servers are as pathetic as the downtime was (at least back then). Countless times I received emails that the server was going to be "offline" while they investigated xxx hack (not specifically relevant to my server, but to a certain block of ip's), and updated software. I informed them that this wasn't acceptable, and they were to leave it on. Their response? No. Even AFTER informing them that I would handle the updates myself (they were hardly critical, and HARDLY worth 2 hours of downtimie over), they simply said no.

This isn't the way to keep customers. Unfortunately, even back then they were charging out the tail end for this "incredible" service.

Best response? Go with Softlayer, and hire a managed services company. You'll be saving yourself about 5-600 per server, and thank yourself later on.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech
    Rackspace is hardly worth the $900 they quoted you on a per server basis. Their software is out of date, their management practices are pathetic at best, and their network (while good) is hardly 100%. No network is ever 100% all of the time. At some point, there will be times when you can't access their network.

Being one of my first locations for dedicated servers, some 5 years ago, Rackspace had more downtime than I could reasonably imagine. It was constantly impossible for me to get into my server late at night, and they couldn't do a thing about it.

The "management" of RS servers are as pathetic as the downtime was (at least back then). Countless times I received emails that the server was going to be "offline" while they investigated xxx hack (not specifically relevant to my server, but to a certain block of ip's), and updated software. I informed them that this wasn't acceptable, and they were to leave it on. Their response? No. Even AFTER informing them that I would handle the updates myself (they were hardly critical, and HARDLY worth 2 hours of downtimie over), they simply said no.

This isn't the way to keep customers. Unfortunately, even back then they were charging out the tail end for this "incredible" service.

Best response? Go with Softlayer, and hire a managed services company. You'll be saving yourself about 5-600 per server, and thank yourself later on.
    Judging by you sig and a bunch of claims I have not heard ANYWHERE else, would YOU happen to be one of these hired admins for a box at softlayer? Do I detect some outrageous bias here or what?

Rarely negative opinions of Rackspace

I have rarely heard negative things about Rackspace...probably 95% good 5% bad on WHT...from this I have to conclude that overwhelmingly Rackspace provides top notch service, even though it is pricey. You pay a premium for quality service.

Friends,

Let us focus on the needs of the OP.

Thank you.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Quote Originally Posted by net
    Friends,

Let us focus on the needs of the OP.

Thank you.
    Good advice.
    Rackspace is good, but the price isn't. 100% network uptime isn't = 100% site or server uptime. So YOU WILL NOT HAVE ALLWAYS 100% UPTIME. I don't know why you want Rackspace, but you can find decent services at a much lower price.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast